General Tourney Talking Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Tourney Talking Points

The Bridgeport regional sold 3,000 tickets before the teams were announced. I know Union sold out of their 400 ticket allotment yesterday and I assume the other schools have as well. Union, UVM, Quinnipiac, and Providence all requested more than 400 tickets so we'll see if that request is granted.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
      The tickets for Cincy are pretty cheap aren't they? At least we'll get an idea of the effect of ticket prices. Of course we won't know what the crowds would have been like at higher prices, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.
      They are cheap, relatively so, 40 bucks all three games. I think though the bigger effect on lower prices is where you have a greater mix of casual, fairly interested, and diehard fans all together. In Cincy the college hockey fans are likely to be the diehards anyway, and that crowd is always more willing to shell out the big bucks. I'd be curious to see the crowd in the X if tickets there were 40 bucks instead of more than twice that. My guess is 100 tickets in Cincinnati would have led to a crowd of around 1000 and 40 dollar tickets won't have much of an effect. $100 tickets will probably keep the X no more than 60-70% full at best, but $40 tickets and that place would be packed and the scalpers would be making a killing.

Comment

Just some random statistics about the tournament, and teams getting to the Frozen Four, since we went to a 16 team field (11 seasons, not counting the present one):

1. Regional #1 seeds have made it to the Frozen Four 20 of 44 chances.
        2. Regional #2 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
        3. Regional #3 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
        4. Regional #4 seeds have made it 6 of 44 chances.

5. Six of the 11 champions have been #1 seeds in their region.
        6. Two were #2 seeds.
        7. Two were #3 seeds.
        8. One was a #4 seed.

In terms of the breakdown of the #1 regional seeds who made the Frozen Four:

9. 8 of the 20 were the #1 seed overall. 3 became champs.
        10. 3 of the 20 were the #2 seed overall. 1 became champs.
        11. 6 of the 20 were the #3 seed overall. 1 became champs.
        12. 3 of the 20 were the #4 seed overall. 1 became champs.

9 of the 11 champs have come out of either the #1 overall seed's bracket, or the #2 overall seed's bracket. The only 2 champions to come out of either the #3 or #4 overall seed's brackets happened to be the first seed in that bracket (Minnesota in '03 and BC in '10).

Finally, if you were to list the overall seed of the champions over the past 11 seasons, it would look like this:

3, 8, 2, 1, 10, 7, 1, 4, 9, 1, 15

Interesting that only #1 overall repeated.
        Last edited by SJHovey; 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Really? Pick 11 numbers from a pool of 16 and weigh it toward the better seeds. Seems likely.

Edit: For fun I just did it 1000 times and never got 1st seed to be the only repeat. Sorry.
          Last edited by Erix_The_Red; 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM.
          Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
            Really? Pick 11 numbers from a pool of 16 and weigh it toward the better seeds. Seems likely.
            I'm not surprised that 1 has repeated. I'm surprised it was the only seed number that did. I would have thought there might have been a couple of #2 or #3 overall seed champions. Of course, a very small sample size.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Just some random statistics about the tournament, and teams getting to the Frozen Four, since we went to a 16 team field (11 seasons, not counting the present one):

1. Regional #1 seeds have made it to the Frozen Four 20 of 44 chances.
              2. Regional #2 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
              3. Regional #3 seeds have made it 9 of 44 chances.
              4. Regional #4 seeds have made it 6 of 44 chances.

5. Six of the 11 champions have been #1 seeds in their region.
              6. Two were #2 seeds.
              7. Two were #3 seeds.
              8. One was a #4 seed.

In terms of the breakdown of the #1 regional seeds who made the Frozen Four:

9. 8 of the 20 were the #1 seed overall. 3 became champs.
              10. 3 of the 20 were the #2 seed overall. 1 became champs.
              11. 6 of the 20 were the #3 seed overall. 1 became champs.
              12. 3 of the 20 were the #4 seed overall. 1 became champs.

9 of the 11 champs have come out of either the #1 overall seed's bracket, or the #2 overall seed's bracket. The only 2 champions to come out of either the #3 or #4 overall seed's brackets happened to be the first seed in that bracket (Minnesota in '03 and BC in '10).

Finally, if you were to list the overall seed of the champions over the past 11 seasons, it would look like this:

3, 8, 2, 1, 10, 7, 1, 4, 9, 1, 15

Reading this just verifies that what Yale did last year was absolutely remarkable. Queue---"Glory Days"
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
              X