The Top Five Goalies In Current D1 Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top Five Goalies In Current D1 Women's Hockey

Based on pure talent, not the team in front of them!
    1)Howe
    2)Lundberg
    3)Moore
    4)Rigsby
    5)Slobotnick

Re: The Top Five Goalies In Current D1 Women's Hockey

Originally posted by And-away-we-go View Post
    1)Howe
    2)Lundberg
    3)Moore
    4)Rigsby
    5)Slobotnick
    ...and your opinion.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by And-away-we-go View Post
      1)Howe
      2)Lundberg
      3)Moore
      4)Rigsby
      5)Slobotnick
      Chuli, Hensley and Maschmeyer have to be in the mix too.

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
        Chuli, Hensley and Maschmeyer have to be in the mix too.
        And Binnington.
        ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

1)Howe
          2)Leveille
          3)Rigsby
          4)Maschmayer
          5)Lundberg
          Last edited by vicb; 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
            1)Howe
            2)Leveille
            3)Rigsby
            4)Maschmayer
            5)Lundberg
            Thank you, not throwing Leveille out with the bathwater! Poor Amanda being instantly forgotten after a tough weekend despite a very good season. And again, I thought she played her best in the regular season in the biggest games (against Wisconsin).

My feeling is that she was shaky in both games in the frozen four. But the truth is I don't really know about that.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
              Thank you, not throwing Leveille out with the bathwater! Poor Amanda being instantly forgotten after a tough weekend despite a very good season. And again, I thought she played her best in the regular season in the biggest games (against Wisconsin).

My feeling is that she was shaky in both games in the frozen four. But the truth is I don't really know about that.
              I'm not yet entirely sold on Leveille. That's not to say that she isn't very good, but I'm not sure she's elite. And she may well be - my exposure has been limited and based on that, I just feel like she's not that extra step above and beyond. She seems to give up a lot of rebounds and that's something I'd love to see her cut down on.
              I'll agree that she stepped up and played well against Wisconsin.

She and Maschmeyer both are goalies I think we'll be speaking about differently in two years. Flashes of greatness, but maybe not entirely there yet.

I thought Maschmeyer was impressive in the game against Wisconsin, but I also thought it was incredibly telling that Brittany Ammerman was able to get intel on her habits, read her and set up a goal based on those tendencies. Being that easy to read and predictable is something she needs to grow out of.
              It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                I'm not yet entirely sold on Leveille. That's not to say that she isn't very good, but I'm not sure she's elite. And she may well be - my exposure has been limited and based on that, I just feel like she's not that extra step above and beyond. She seems to give up a lot of rebounds and that's something I'd love to see her cut down on.
                Two things to remember about Leveille, She followed Raty, and we tend to compare her play this year with Raty's play last year. Not a fair comparison. If you go back and compare her to Noora as a freshman, or even as a sophmore, she compares very well.

Second point. Amanda didn't play much last year. I thought she looked tired by the end of this year. Not physically worn down, but mentally starting to feel the year dragging out. The same thing happened to Noora early in her career at MN even when she was splitting duties. It's tough to stay that focused for that long when you haven't had to do it before. I like the way Noora turned out, and I expect that Amanda will do something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post

She and Maschmeyer both are goalies I think we'll be speaking about differently in two years. Flashes of greatness, but maybe not entirely there yet.

I thought Maschmeyer was impressive in the game against Wisconsin, but I also thought it was incredibly telling that Brittany Ammerman was able to get intel on her habits, read her and set up a goal based on those tendencies. Being that easy to read and predictable is something she needs to grow out of.
                  Not sold but not ready to discount her. She showed she had the talent but had a bad day. I think this said more about how truly great Raty was.

Though oddly enough the only games I saw either Leveille or Maschmeyer they had pretty bad games. Hardly representative though.

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                    Not sold but not ready to discount her. She showed she had the talent but had a bad day. I think this said more about how truly great Raty was.

Though oddly enough the only games I saw either Leveille or Maschmeyer they had pretty bad games. Hardly representative though.

I thought that Howe not getting a sniff at the Kaz as solid as she has been for years and Maschmeyer having a nice year and great numbers was telling of the lack of understanding of the position.

There are a lot of really strange goings on as it pertains to the various awards and the position of netminder! The KAZ, All American selection, goalie of the week and month? if the people making these calls knew anything about the position the Top Five would look a lot different! Big numbers are not as important as great saves made consistently! I guarantee you that if you put most of the winningest goalies on a cellar dwelling team where they had to show up day in and out losing they would probably fall apart!

If you switched Moore from Brown with Howe, Leveille or Maschmeyer, looking at their mechanics I bet none of them would put up the numbers Moore put up with the team she went to battle with!

Having great D & F to keep you in the game make a huge difference! Brown tied Clarkson and Union forced Clarkson into OT the night Clarkson won the regular season ECAC.

I don't have the answer but i do know that it's hard pill to swallow when numbers beat great goaltending!!
                    Last edited by YabaDabaDoo; 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I don't think you can overlook BC's Corinne Boyles.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        ...and your opinion.
                        I agree. There isn't an accurate way of doing this. If you throw out the team in front, then you have to look past the numbers. If you aren't going by stats, you have to go by watching them play. How many people saw all the goalies play? My guess is roughly zero percent. Based on those I did get to watch, Danielle Butters of Minnesota State played as well as any of them.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Boyles is a great kid!! met her out at Warren Strelow a couple of years ago! Solid goalie!

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                            I don't think you can overlook BC's Corinne Boyles.
                            I was waiting for someone else to say it :-) She's not spectacular the way Raty or Rigsby are but quietly got the third best save % in the country the second half of this season. If you lose the headscratchers, though, you'll get overlooked.

It will be interesting to see how Maschmeyer does next year. When I saw her at the BC/Harvard game in December she was phenomenal, more responsible than anyone for keeping Harvard in that game (and nearly winning it for them). By the time of the Beanpot she was completely different. If she can get back to her early-season form for next season Harvard could be very hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by YabaDabaDoo View Post

There are a lot of really strange goings on as it pertains to the various awards and the position of netminder! The KAZ, All American selection, goalie of the week and month? if the people making these calls knew anything about the position the Top Five would look a lot different! Big numbers are not as important as great saves made consistently! I guarantee you that if you put most of the winningest goalies on a cellar dwelling team where they had to show up day in and out losing they would probably fall apart!

If you switched Moore from Brown with Howe, Leveille or Maschmeyer, looking at their mechanics I bet none of them would put up the numbers Moore put up with the team she went to battle with!

Having great D & F to keep you in the game make a huge difference! Brown tied Clarkson and Union forced Clarkson into OT the night Clarkson won the regular season ECAC.

I don't have the answer but i do know that it's hard pill to swallow when numbers beat great goaltending!!
                              I couldn't agree more. I think Moore is actually one of the very best goalies in the game. If she played for Harvard or Cornell, she could be in the All-American discussion. I suspect if you put Slebotnick on a team like Brown, the talk would likely be about needing to find decent goaltending.

While I don't think she's a bad goalie, I wouldn't even rate Slebotnick as above average. She had the luxury for 4 years of an elite core of scorers to keep the play mostly in the offensive zone, and 4-5 Olympic calibre & ECAC all-star D to minimize good scoring chances. Such an environment will make any goaltender look great.

How can I support this qualitative assessment based on watching 20-25 goalies play at the D1 level the past couple of years with quantitative proof? Voorheis actually put up better numbers than Slebotnick for Cornell this year as a freshman when Slebotnick was out with injury. Voorheis GAA was 1.79 this year vs Slebotnick's 2.31. Her Save % was .929 vs Slebotnick's .909.

Looking at Voorheis' stats last year in the PWHL is telling. She played on a team right in the middle of the pack, so her team likely didn't really help or hurt her performance (team tied for 9th out of 20 teams). Her GAA was 19th and her Save % was 9th--compared with a majority of goalies who never got a sniff from D1. Not spectacular numbers. Yet as a freshman in the NCAA, she is ranked 11th in GAA and tied for 14th in Save % in the whole country!
                              Last edited by Trillium; 03-25-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X