Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: East Regional- Union vs Vermont & Quinnipiac vs Providence

Originally posted by johnk View Post
    That does not seem like a tremendous difference week in and week out but don't let the facts get in your way.
    Average SOS of for HE is 13
    Average SOS of for ECAC is 29

Not a tremendous difference? The FACT is that statistically HE plays a much tougher schedule then the ECAC.

The FACT is half of the ECAC teams play SOS that are 30 or above (bottom half of the country), not a single HE team has a SOS above 30.
    The FACT is 11 of 12, 92%, ECAC teams play a SOS that is 20 or above, 3 (27%) HE teams play SOS that are 20 or above.
    The Fact is 1 (8%) of ECAC teams play a sos in the top 20, while 7 (64%) of HE teams play SOS below 20.
    The Fact is no ECAC team plays a SOS that is in the top 10 in the country, while 36% of HE teams do...

Again, I will reiterate that there are good ECAC teams, but no they do not play as challenging of a schedule. There is a big difference.
    Last edited by jcarter7669; 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Who gives a crap about your 8th place team! HE was 22-20-8 vs the ECAC. Pairwise top 20, HE had 7 and the ECAC had 5. Top 30, HE-8 and ECAC 7. That does not seem like a tremendous difference week in and week out but don't let the facts get in your way.
      Well we could take the top 12 and only games played on Saturdays in Dec .... To all of you this is a stupid argument. As a UVM fan I can tell you I would much rather have played Wisc vs Union (and not a diss to Wisc just a style match up). The ECAC has some great teams that can win it all and have some good mid pack teams (SLU comes to mind). HE also has some great mid pack teams that can do damage.

I just wish they would spread out the conferences a bit how they are placed so that you could see a UC vs Q final or BC vs UML final.

You may now continue with the "Who would win a fight mighty mouse or superman" conversation?

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        From 1-6, I would give any ECAC team a shot against any hockey East team. I would not call that a "tremendous difference".
        Yale and Colgate (#5 and #6) were a combined 2-5-2 against HE teams with both wins coming against HE #11 Merrimack. So they were winless against the top 6. I mean I would give them a shot as well, anything can happen it sthe frequency of it happening that's suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
          Average SOS of for HE is 14

Not a tremendous difference? The FACT is that statistically HE plays a much tougher schedule then the ECAC.

The FACT is half of the ECAC teams play SOS that are 30 or above (bottom half of the country), not a single HE team has a SOS above 30.
          The FACT is 11 of 12, 92%, ECAC teams play a SOS that is 20 or above, 3 (30%) HE teams play SOS that are 20 or above.
          The Fact is 1 (8%) of ECAC teams play a sos in the top 20, while 7 (70%) of HE teams play SOS below 20.
          The Fact is no ECAC team plays a SOS that is in the top 10 in the country, while 40% of HE teams do...

Again, I will reiterate that there are good ECAC teams, but no they do not play as challenging of a schedule. There is a big difference.
          You should be a politician. What a dope. 2 of your facts are the same, just reversing the numbers. PWR takes all of you nonsense and rounds it into a ranking system, And amazingly HE could only win 22 out of 50 games against such a mediocre league.

Comment

Yale and Colgate (#5 and #6) were a combined 2-5-2 against HE teams with both wins coming against HE #11 Merrimack. So they were winless against the top 6. I mean I would give them a shot as well, anything can happen it sthe frequency of it happening that's suspect.
            And yet they were 1-0-1 vs UVM...

This is all about match ups and style of play.

You may now continue the argument .

Comment

Average SOS of for HE is 14

The FACT is 11 of 12, 92%, ECAC teams play a SOS that is 20 or above, 3 (30%) HE teams play SOS that are 20 or above.
              The Fact is 1 (8%) of ECAC teams play a sos in the top 20, while 7 (70%) of HE teams play SOS below 20.
              The Fact is no ECAC team plays a SOS that is in the top 10 in the country, while 40% of HE teams do...

Aren't these SOS numbers bolstered/weakened by out-of-conference opponents? If your argument is based on overall conference strength, top to bottom, how would these stats be relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post

You may now continue with the "Who would win a fight mighty mouse or superman" conversation?
                Well Bennett would definitely kick the snot out of Sneddon...

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                  Aren't these SOS numbers bolstered/weakened by out-of-conference opponents? If your argument is based on overall conference strength, top to bottom, how would these stats be relevant?
                  That wouldn't be my argument. Because it appears to be to much to ask to go back and actually read all the posts, here was the original argument...

" That doesn't mean the best team is from Hockey East but it does mean that Hockey East teams see a much more competitive schedule and are more battle worn."

That's when the "EZAC" posters got out their chips and placed them up on their shoulders turning it into an ECAC v. HE argument.
                  Last edited by jcarter7669; 03-24-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Well Bennett would definitely kick the snot out of Sneddon...
                    Well, at least you got one thing right about the ECAC!
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

You should be a politician. What a dope. 2 of your facts are the same, just reversing the numbers. PWR takes all of you nonsense and rounds it into a ranking system, And amazingly HE could only win 22 out of 50 games against such a mediocre league.
                      The PWR and SOS are the same? And you are calling me a dope? mmmmKay

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        Although an ECAC fan I have seen Vermont play several times this year on NESN. They are a solid and good team. If Union doesn't bring their "A" game they will be out after the first game. I really think Bridgeport is a very tough pairing of 4 teams. Union drawing Vermont in the first round was not a good or easy draw for them. Lot's of easier teams elsewhere.
                        I second this. I don't buy all the stuff about the ECAC only having two good teams, or the schedule being less of a grind. But UVM is good, and Union had better be at their best or they will lose.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                          , or the schedule being less of a grind.
                          Would you care to offer some type of argument or data to qualify this assertion? If you play the same number of games but against weaker teams (as evidenced by the SOS) then how can that not be less of a grind?

I just don't see any data that would suggest that is actually the case. But I'd be happy to see some and reconsider my position.

Comment

The PWR and SOS are the same? And you are calling me a dope? mmmmKay
                            Where did I say that? Go back and read what I said. And while your at it, answer why the superconference only won 22 out of 50 games against such an inferior league.

Comment

" Hey boss, I have the statistics. What do you want them to say?" Thank God the games are decided on the ice and not on these boards. I don't care who can do math better. GO 'GATE.

Comment

Would you care to offer some type of argument or data to qualify this assertion? If you play the same number of games but against weaker teams (as evidenced by the SOS) then how can that not be less of a grind?

I just don't see any data that would suggest that is actually the case. But I'd be happy to see some and reconsider my position.
                                I say that based on many years of watching games from both leagues. I don't think HE schedules aren't difficult (just playing BC 3 times is hard enough), but the games are just not the same. If I could take every game that SLU plays against Brown, and replace it with a matchup against UNH, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'll bet a team like Dartmouth would as well. Playing Brown and Cornell and Clarkson is . . . a grind. Even for good teams. Using this year's standings, I honestly don't think it's safe to assume that the 8th-place team in HE would go through a 22-game ECAC schedule and finish ahead of teams like Ylae and Clarkson. They might, and they might not. I don't think the SOS numbers tell the whole story, that's all. And let me repeat what I said before: I've seen this year's UVM team play, and they are good. If they play close to their best game, and Union isn't sharp, UVM will beat them.

Comment

Working...
                                X