Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: East Regional- Union vs Vermont & Quinnipiac vs Providence

Originally posted by aweise View Post
    I will always maintain that the ECAC is one of (if not THE) most competitive conferences in the country.
    That's an interesting statement. We should explore that more and put it to bed once and for all. How about an average ranking for all teams in a league to allow for comparison? Do you think that would be a fair assessment of a league's competitiveness?
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
      Semi rhetorical questions like that would be you lying down in front of the bus and telling the driver to put it in reverse after he has gone over you once to make sure you got run over.

Actually that was a legitimate question. It doesn't appear to me from the statistics that in general Offense is that much better then other leagues, however the top half of ECAC teams scored a lot of goals, and the GPG's are pretty high. As a fan of the opposing team I am genuinely curious as to why that may be.

For example, HE teams have generally fewer GPG (outside of BC), I would make the argument that much of that is due to goaltending in the league, which is outstanding for most every team. Demko, Hellebuyck, Gilles, Witt, Hoffman, Oulette, Summerhays, etc. Nearly every team has an elite goal tender, and many have two... That IMO would be a major reason why teams from HE score less in general then other leagues.

So, does the ECAC simply have far more offensive skill then HE, do they just play a more offensive and less defensive style? Do some teams just have average goaltending? Do the refs call a more wide open game? Do teams just play wide open and not a shut down style of play (in general, obviously Cornell has always been a great defensive team)?

I'm genuinely curious as to what ECAC fans believe are valid reasons??

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        That's an interesting statement. We should explore that more and put it to bed once and for all. How about an average ranking for all teams in a league to allow for comparison? Do you think that would be a fair assessment of a league's competitiveness?
        I am sure you have already done the analysis so you can rebut some poor ECAC supporters reply. Although you keep looking for debate, your questions are just chit stirring in disguise. As of today, I only need to know that the national finalists from last season were from one of the most competitive college hockey leagues in the nation. The league as a whole is just as strong this year as last. Union and QPAC are the real deal and will compete well with any team in the country. Please leave the league vs. League B.S for the off season.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          As of today, I only need to know that the national finalists from last season were from one of the most competitive college hockey leagues in the nation.
          Living in the past... that's typical for a fanboy. Hey remember that time there was a is Ylae the best team in the country thread? Seems they what just became ranked #1 and then lost the next game... am I remembering that right. Oh, Union just got ranked #1 too... funny the coincidence.

And I have not done the analysis, I didn't put forth the statement. Had I made the statement I would have had some statistics to back it up. But at this point, I don't feel like doing everyone's work for them.

Finally, I'm not trying to engage in league v. league BS, but I'm also not going to let ridiculous unfounded statements get thrown out there with calling them on it. I'd much rather discuss Union and Vermont... as opposed to the ECAC and HE. It's the EZAC pansies with insecurities that keep trying to make this a league v. league thing.

In fact I even posited this question earlier

Originally posted by jcarter
          The only actual comparison we have is the one game Union and Vermont have played last year. How is this Union team compared to last year? Seems to have a few good freshman, did they replaced good Seniors for a net zero, or are they an upgrade? It looks like more goals were scored this year then last year, but defensively it appears to be the same? Would that be a true statment?
          Why don't you tell me about Union, let's here an Eli's point of view. Yale has at times in the past had a pretty potent offense, and yet they were shut out by Union. Was that steller goaltending by COllins? Did Yale just come out flat? Injuries? or are they just lacking offensive firepower on this years team?
          Last edited by jcarter7669; 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

ECAC in league play: 132 games - 726 goals = 5.5 goals/game.
            HE in league play: 110 game - 563 goals = 5.12 goals/game.

7% difference is not worth discussing.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
              ECAC in league play: 132 games - 726 goals = 5.5 goals/game.
              HE in league play: 110 game - 563 goals = 5.12 goals/game.

7% difference is not worth discussing.
              Why would you compare league play? Whatever, you don't want to discuss it fine... Just trying to ask a question and get something that resembled a thoughtful answer.

Would you care to compare and contrast this years team and last years team? That would be appreciated.

Comment

Why would you compare league play? Whatever, you don't want to discuss it fine... Just trying to ask a question and get something that resembled a thoughtful answer.

Would you care to compare and contrast this years team and last years team? That would be appreciated.
                You were saying the ECAC seems to be a higher scoring league. You asked if it might be because their defenses are weaker. I assumed you meant when they were playing against each other.
                Last edited by johnk; 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM.

Comment

let's here an Eli's point of view.
                  Hear about Union? Why don't you read about Union or can you not find enough to read about?
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Here is what you need to know about Quinnipiac and Union. Both are in the top 5 offensively (Union is 2 at 3.68 gpg and QU is 4th at 3.62 gpg) and both teams are in the top 5 defensively (QU is #2 at 1.97 gpg and Union is #4 at 2.08 gpg). These two are legit top teams in the country and could beat anyone on any given night.
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

You will not get a response about PC that is as confident as what I've been reading. If the PC from the first half of the season and the Maine/UMASS series shows up - the PC who tied QU and came back from 3 goals to beat UML - is in the house, yes we can spring the upset. The PC who really struggled against UNH on Friday, and who lost to UCONN and Air Force and blew late leads against BU and NU? That team will not last long against QU.
                      Hopefully, last Friday was the anomaly.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                        Hear about Union? Why don't you read about Union or can you not find enough to read about?
                        Reading the fluff recap pieces and hearing from fans who watch the game are different viewpoints. I would prefer to hear from Union fans as well as their oppositions fans that maybe trolling the thread. I would particularly like to hear how this years team is different then the one I watched last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                          You will not get a response about PC that is as confident as what I've been reading. If the PC from the first half of the season and the Maine/UMASS series shows up - the PC who tied QU and came back from 3 goals to beat UML - is in the house, yes we can spring the upset. The PC who really struggled against UNH on Friday, and who lost to UCONN and Air Force and blew late leads against BU and NU? That team will not last long against QU.
                          Hopefully, last Friday was the anomaly.
                          Always the sandbagger

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                            You were saying the ECAC seems to be a higher scoring league. You asked if it might be because their defenses are weaker. I assumed you meant when they were playing against each other.

I was talking in general, I apologize for not making that clear. However, you produced some very good statistics about their being a 7% difference. While I continue to believe that is significant, it is not as high as I had thought and it probably isn't worth discussing.

I would still very much like to hear about Unions style of play, and how they are different then last years team. They appear to have brought in 3 or so forwards with offensive talent and D-man as well. Did those guys replace scorers? How was last years class that left and how has this years class filled those gaps?

Yes I could look up the stats of last years senior, but goals scored is only a small part of what a player brings to his team, which is again why I ask fans who watch the games instead of looking to see how many goals last years senior class had. And, if there are any Eli trolls out there I'd love to get your thoughts comparing this years team to last years team. As defending champs that would be a unique perspective.

Comment

Hey jcarter7669, is this you?

This Week in Disrespect: Never doubt us - MARCH 19, 2009
                              http://theiceislife.wordpress.com/20...ever-doubt-us/

This “jcarter7669″ fellow continued to exhibit his stupidity and lack of knowledge (hockey or otherwise) for the next couple of days. Most of his posts are hideous trainwrecks of logic and reading comprehension, so we’ll just be content to laugh at him from the Boston Garden this Friday.

However, “jcarter7669″ wasn’t the only Catamount fan lining up to feast on a delicious meal of crow, with a thick slab of mouthwatering humble pie for dessert. Not by a long shot. Poster “KennyCat” added this bit of illogic to the discussion:

Poster “jcarter7669,” obviously a Catamounts fan, decided that our calm, rational reasoning for choosing to look at the two most recent Lowell/Vermont games, both played at Gutterson Fieldhouse, as an indicator for the upcoming series was, in fact, absurd.

If this is you ... you are some kind of major ****in* *******. If you look in the yellow pages up there in Burlington, I am sure you can find a therapist to help you out.
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                Hey jcarter7669, is this you?

This Week in Disrespect: Never doubt us - MARCH 19, 2009
                                http://theiceislife.wordpress.com/20...ever-doubt-us/

This “jcarter7669″ fellow continued to exhibit his stupidity and lack of knowledge (hockey or otherwise) for the next couple of days. Most of his posts are hideous trainwrecks of logic and reading comprehension, so we’ll just be content to laugh at him from the Boston Garden this Friday.

However, “jcarter7669″ wasn’t the only Catamount fan lining up to feast on a delicious meal of crow, with a thick slab of mouthwatering humble pie for dessert. Not by a long shot. Poster “KennyCat” added this bit of illogic to the discussion:

Poster “jcarter7669,” obviously a Catamounts fan, decided that our calm, rational reasoning for choosing to look at the two most recent Lowell/Vermont games, both played at Gutterson Fieldhouse, as an indicator for the upcoming series was, in fact, absurd.

If this is you ... you are some kind of major ****in* *******. If you look in the yellow pages up there in Burlington, I am sure you can find a therapist to help you out.

You are just upset that I called out your idiotic comment that we should only count Collins last 8 games because he missed some games during the season... of course those games were the 2,3,4,5th games of the season... dope.

But to answer your question yes I am infamous, been getting idiotic posters like you and a few Lowell fans all hot and bothered since 2009. Oh and I'm guessing that with those red chicklets, you are even a bigger ****in* ******* then me...

Comment

Working...
                                X