PDA

View Full Version : Red Berenson Retirement Watch

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

FRICKER
06-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Pssssssssst.............don't tell anyone but Red retired a decade ago, but hasn't told the University yet! For years Billy Powers & Mel Pearson essentially ran the program while Red played the role of Senior Ambassador. They have the luxary of having the most fertile recruiting grounds right around the corner and pick off a few low hanging fruit every year for two years hence. Because of their reputation they recuit a year ahead of most schools and get commitments from HS Juniors long before it is legal to talk to them - been doing it for years. With the talent they have on campus, by all arights,theyshould be doing better than they have for years...................coaching? yup, the weak link.

Snively65
10-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Bump

UMICH
10-19-2014, 11:04 PM
It's still extremely early in the season but I see Michigan missing the Tournament for the third straight year. I would hope that makes Coach Berenson decide to step down, although he might be too arrogant to? If he does stay if Michigan misses the Tournament again it "might" signal that Mel is coming home in 2 years. I'm not sure, just throwing stuff against the wall.

The Rube
10-19-2014, 11:20 PM
It's still extremely early in the season but I see Michigan missing the Tournament for the third straight year. I would hope that makes Coach Berenson decide to step down, although he might be too arrogant to? If he does stay if Michigan misses the Tournament again it "might" signal that Mel is coming home in 2 years. I'm not sure, just throwing stuff against the wall.

Mel ain't leaving. Red might *cough* resign. He is on his own terms, as he should be. If MI misses the tourney again, I expect a new coach next year.

Seawolf Fan
10-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Mel ain't leaving. Red might *cough* resign. He is on his own terms, as he should be. If MI misses the tourney again, I expect a new coach next year.
Just questions.
What's Mel's current pay?
What would his pay be at Michigan?

The Rube
10-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Just questions.
What's Mel's current pay?
What would his pay be at Michigan?

I don't have the exact figures, but I know it's substantial. There are others on this board that I will not name (I'll let them out themselves) that know. I saw the terms of his original contract, and I was impressed. MTU is committed to him financially/etc. They want him to stay. And on a personal note, great guy. I can see why they want him.

Edit: for those who don't know, I am a Gopher fan down to the bone.

lawdoggies
10-20-2014, 12:04 AM

September 29, 2014 - Mel Pearson commenting on his 5 year contract extension through 2021.

"Dirk, since you mentioned the contract I do want to comment on it. I'm thrilled. I'm really excited that we got it done. I'm anxious to stay here at Michigan Tech. Like I commented, I had a great experience here as a player and I had a great experience as an assistant coach and I've enjoyed my time back. So I'm really excited that we got it done. One of the main things is that it is really going to help recruiting because on the recruiting circuit there has been a lot of negative recruiting as to how long myself and our coaching staff was going to be here. I think this really helps solidifies that. I know that has really eased and we got a couple of commitments recently because of that, because people understood that I was going to be here and the school was committed to keeping me here. So I just want to thank President Mroz, Vice-President Les Cook, and obviously Suzanne Sanregret for the opportunity to continue to be the head hockey coach here at Michigan Tech. I'm extremely excited about that. . . It gives us some stability and, really importantly out in the recruiting world, sends a strong message to our recruits."

I think Mel is a man of his word. Despite what some say, I don't think he is just padding his resume to be 'worthy' to coach at Michigan. Tech is not, as others have said, "Mel's vacation up North". I think he'll be in Houghton for the duration. :)

The Rube
10-20-2014, 12:16 AM
September 29, 2014 - Mel Pearson commenting on his 5 year contract extension through 2021.

"Dirk, since you mentioned the contract I do want to comment on it. I'm thrilled. I'm really excited that we got it done. I'm anxious to stay here at Michigan Tech. Like I commented, I had a great experience here as a player and I had a great experience as an assistant coach and I've enjoyed my time back. So I'm really excited that we got it done. One of the main things is that it is really going to help recruiting because on the recruiting circuit there has been a lot of negative recruiting as to how long myself and our coaching staff was going to be here. I think this really helps solidifies that. I know that has really eased and we got a couple of commitments recently because of that, because people understood that I was going to be here and the school was committed to keeping me here. So I just want to thank President Mroz, Vice-President Les Cook, and obviously Suzanne Sanregret for the opportunity to continue to be the head hockey coach here at Michigan Tech. I'm extremely excited about that. . . It gives us some stability and, really importantly out in the recruiting world, sends a strong message to our recruits."

I think Mel is a man of his word. Despite what some say, I don't think he is just padding his resume to be 'worthy' to coach at Michigan. Tech is not, as others have said, "Mel's vacation up North". I think he'll be in Houghton for the duration. :)

That is what I have felt, too. As some know, I like Tech in a stray dog sort of way. Love their fans, love that town. And Mel is a good score, and MTU really wants to get back to the top, and I think this is a first step.

huskyfan
10-20-2014, 06:15 AM
I don't have the exact figures, but I know it's substantial. There are others on this board that I will not name (I'll let them out themselves) that know. I saw the terms of his original contract, and I was impressed. MTU is committed to him financially/etc. They want him to stay. And on a personal note, great guy. I can see why they want him.

Edit: for those whN-acetylcysteineo don't know, I am a Gopher fan down to the bone.

substantial. with lots of incentives. as it should be. he's a top drawer coach and should be compensated as such. and with his boundless enthusiasm for the program is a wonder to behold.

John J. MacInnes
10-20-2014, 08:53 AM
it "might" signal that Mel is coming home in 2 years.

"Home?"

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/coaches/pearson_mel_4spf

Pearson, who was born in Vancouver, B.C., moved to Minnesota as a youth and played hockey at Edina High School. He was recruited by John MacInnes and played for the legendary coach at Michigan Tech from 1977-81. A forward, Pearson put up 56 points (21-35--56) in 97 career games in a Black and Gold sweater and also earned a degree in business administration while in Houghton. One of his playing highlights included scoring the game-winning goal in the championship game of the 1979 GLI. The tally broke a 4-all deadlock to beat Michigan in the longest game in the history of the 46-year-old tournament.

In 1982, Pearson was hired as an assistant coach at Michigan Tech. He worked under Jim Nahrgang and Herb Boxer during his six-year stay in Houghton. He was responsible for recruiting many high profile players to Tech including Randy McKay, Scott White, Damian Rhodes and Shawn Harrison.

bigblue_dl
10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
substantial. with lots of incentives. as it should be. he's a top drawer coach and should be compensated as such. and with his boundless enthusiasm for the program is a wonder to behold.

I believe at the time Mel was hired, in the "old WCHA" he was the highest paid coach in that league. Including Lucia, Eaves, Hakstol, etc. Yeah, he's well compensated, and there should be no doubt that Tech is committed to winning at the highest level.

5mn_Major
10-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Maybe all this I true. But do folks think Lucia regrets leaving CC?

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-20-2014, 12:44 PM
I think the only way Mel would leave is if there was a negative change at AD, and/or the money required to run the program the way he wants to run it was no longer there. When the time comes, while I wouldn't rule out a godfather offer from the Wolverines, I suspect Michigan will not be paying their next head coach more than 300k base unless he's a proven, elite coach. Mel has been good for Tech and he's brought us a long way from the largely boring hockey and dark days of 1996-2011, but he's not at that level yet.

I'll also say this. Even though he enjoyed working under Red and having a lot of freedom for an assistant, I don't think it's a coincidence that he left about a year and a half after Dave Brandon became AD. Just a hunch.

EDIT: Finally, I think the Michigan administration is just a bit more concerned about the football program at the moment. We're probably another two years out from this being a concern.

bigblue_dl
10-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Was CC paying Lucia as much as the Gophers offered? Was CC Lucia's alma mater?

JohnsonsJerseys
10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Would you want to play the same five teams over and over again just to pander to your conference TV needs?
Answer: No.

I can't believe the Gophers bought rings for winning a 6-team league.
Maybe Donnie needed some bling. Next they'll want rings for winning the North Star Cup "championship".
I don't know about this generation and their desire for participation awards.
You use to have to actually do something noteworthy before you got an award...
Ryan J

5mn_Major
10-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Was CC paying Lucia as much as the Gophers offered?

Would Lucia regret his move to the Gophers if CC had been paying that much?

Was CC Lucia's alma mater?

As MI was not Pearson's alma mater, U of Minnesota was not Lucia's alma mater either...Notre Dame was.

Look Mel coached at U MI for 23 years which is not much different than the total lifetime Lucia spent in Minnesota before joining the Gophers.

And as a result, I would bet Mel would be drawn to try to turn around a 9 time national champion and inarguably one of the most 2 or 3 historically prestigious hockey programs in the country. Whether he would actually take the offer is not clear.

JohnsonsJerseys
10-20-2014, 03:09 PM
I would bet Mel would be drawn to try to turn around a 3 time national champion and inarguably one of the most 2 or 3 historically prestigious hockey programs in the country. Whether he would actually take the offer is not clear.I completely agree. Not only did he already accept the opportunity to do so several years ago, he signed an extension a few weeks ago to keep doing it for many years to come...
Ryan J