PDA

View Full Version : Red Berenson Retirement Watch

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

RapidsCity
04-14-2014, 06:17 PM
But can they maintain to get the alumni money when the five year contract is up. I have my doubts.

Why is that? I really doubt you've actually talked to any of the money people at Tech...or the AD...or the coach...or anyone who would actually know anything. Mel may well be the front runner to replace Red. Then again, he may not. But whatever the case, I'm certain that Michigan will have a strong pool of very qualified individuals to choose from. Maybe they could even top State and get Fred Pletsch.

michiganmidge
04-17-2014, 08:57 AM
But can they maintain to get the alumni money when the five year contract is up. I have my doubts.

I went to the Tech series this year, and they just got a million dollar video board. It's beautiful! There is no shortage of money at MTU for hockey and there never will be!

owslachief
04-17-2014, 02:23 PM
It could be this one. (http://antiqwatch.com/images/f%2019.jpg)

stuckinwi
04-17-2014, 02:57 PM
It could be this one. (http://antiqwatch.com/images/f%2019.jpg)

or more accurately... this one (http://www.techhockeyguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013oct5-274.jpg)

davyd83
04-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Yes they spent the donation on the video board not the coach.

Is that a fact? Please cite your source.

streaker
04-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Fricker, You've argued that logic for years. Partially correct on the first point and not even that close on the second.

Billy and Mel did the recruiting, (Now Brian) true, but Berenson visits high profile prospects and still scouts.

Michigan's only advantage with the USA program is proximity to Yost. Most of those kids already have a bead on where they are ending up and Michigan has no greater "contact" advantage than any other school.

Like I said before, keep propagating until it happens, then you guys can all call yourselves geniuses for stating the obvious.

streaker
04-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Did the increase in early departures caused by the latest NHL CBA have anything to do with it?

That is a problem for all profile NCAA hockey programs. You are fighting to get the talent to commit, stay committed when the CHL drafts these kids and then stay longer than 2 years if they do end up in the NCAA. I don't see how that is a problem created by a certain coach. Berenson has always been honest if he thinks a kid is ready to go on, like he was with Trouba.

davyd83
04-19-2014, 04:18 PM
That is a problem for all profile NCAA hockey programs. You are fighting to get the talent to commit, stay committed when the CHL drafts these kids and then stay longer than 2 years if they do end up in the NCAA. I don't see how that is a problem created by a certain coach. Berenson has always been honest if he thinks a kid is ready to go on, like he was with Trouba.

Red has also been one of the best at retaining players. But in the past few years, since the current NHL CBA, not only UM, but all of college hockey has seen more players leaving early. It just so happens that UM has a lot of players the pros want.

Neil Diamond
04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I'll take "Thread Titles We Should Have Seen Twenty Years Ago" for $400, Alex

MGoBlueHockey
04-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Mike Babcock says not worried about negotiating for extension, will either remain coach of Red Wings or be assistant at U of M/ Berenson

— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) April 29, 2014

Finally hearing what I've been speculating on this board for a long time.

Biddco
04-30-2014, 10:26 AM

This makes me wonder if Red is just a figurehead at this point and the assistants do much of the work.

streaker
05-01-2014, 05:40 AM

So, you are speculating on the speculation?

Babcock an assistant? Are you effing kidding me? You do realize how big a fish hook you have in your cheek?

davyd83
05-01-2014, 09:35 AM
So, you are speculating on the speculation?

Babcock an assistant? Are you effing kidding me? You do realize how big a fish hook you have in your cheek?

Because Babcock is going to turn down 3 or 4 million a year for the "honor" of coaching Michigan for about 15 percent of that...yeah...right...dream on. You're not that important.

alfablue
05-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Because Babcock is going to turn down 3 or 4 million a year for the "honor" of coaching Michigan for about 15 percent of that...yeah...right...dream on. You're not that important.

Well, if he gets fired, with a severence package, he could get $3-4M AND have the honor for working with Red. :D

Pink Pony
05-29-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm still saying, both Mel and Red's contract expire at the same time. Coincidence? I think not...

Good point.

klbaum1077
05-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Well, if he gets fired, with a severence package, he could get $3-4M AND have the honor for working with Red. :D

He wont get fired his contract with the Wings expires after next season.

MAVFANJEFF
06-15-2014, 11:56 PM
It will be a sad day in the sport of hockey when Red retires. I hope his health is ok. He deserves a long vacation for his devotion to the sport. We're just as frustrated around here about Dean Blais.

huskyfan
06-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Dear Michigan,
Keep your hands off Mel!
Sincerely, huskyfan

Pink Pony
06-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Dear Michigan,
Keep your hands off Mel!
Sincerely, huskyfan

In two years he will follow the money trail.

Pink Pony
06-27-2014, 08:47 AM
There is no shortage of money at MTU for hockey and there never will be!

If this was the case the NCHC would have called and everybody would want to play in the UP.