Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Berenson Retirement Watch

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Gophers went thru a similar stretch not too long ago (missed the tourney 3 straight years). You can't keep a program like Michigan down forever. You guys will bounce back in no time.
    But here to hoping you never do! Cheers!
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Michigan Hockey 2014= Florida State Football 2006. Can't say you're likely to enjoy the next few years.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        As a Michigan softball fan, I have no problem with a Spartan as the head coach at Michigan. Afterall, Hutch who played softball (and basketball?) at MSU, is the winningest coach in the history of the Unviersity of Michigan.

I won't comment on should Red retire/who should replace him when he does retire.
        And Hutch certainly doesn't take it easy on her alma mater. Michigan beat them 21-2 last year. LOL!
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Saw Red at RPI field house the oldest holiday hockey tourney in the country. Till our new coach, that hasn't gotten to an ECAC final four yet eliminated it. regardless seein Red on the ice was incredible

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            He's not coaching you or I. He's coaching near high school age kids. He really should retire.
            Why do you say this? Do you have any knowledge of how the team reacts to him?

I didn't think so...
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I would dispute about half of this, but you can believe whatever you want.
              OK, why do you dispute half of it? I'm waiting...
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

The problem pretty soon is going to be recruiting. Who is developing at Michigan? Did Di Giuseppe leave because he developed and is ready for the NHL, or because he didn't really develop further the last couple of years? What about Guptil and Nieves?

If you're a top recruit these days, why would you go to Michigan over BC, MN or WI? Quinnipiac and Union have also come on quite a bit.

I'm a Michigan fan and grad (MBA), those 90s teams were excellent and I had a blast. I love Red and he's an iconic coach but I think it's time to step down. Stay with the program for sure but we need new leadership or we're going to dig ourselves into a five year hole. Maybe we already have.

Jon Merrill is the counterpoint to my argument, it seems like he had a nice transition to the AHL and was quickly called up. He's one of the few Devils playing well.

I listen to Cornell fans (I'm one of them too) go back and forth about Schafer and I just laugh.
                Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                  Why do you say this? Do you have any knowledge of how the team reacts to him?

I didn't think so...
                  I have no inside knowledge.

I am a MN fan...but unlike many others, I do want a strong MI program. Its about the conference. Just as with Doug Woog, sometimes coaches that were good years or decades earlier start to slip. I just think one of the nations top programs has underperformed for too long.
                  Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-28-2014, 01:25 PM.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Just as with Doug Wood, sometimes coaches that were good years or decades earlier start to slip. I just think one of the nations top programs has underperformed for too long.
                    You mean Woog? Red only has about 400 more victories than Doug Woog.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
                      Yes.

MI has 9 national titles...forget your record for a minute, MI should be the program with a top 3 rep every year (along with BC and MN). Expectations for the program are really low and have been for so long fans don't even consider it an issue any more. And with 5 of its top 10 scoring players already gone, I can't imagine there's a way it will make the NCAAs next year.

I'm really not trying to come down on the program cause as I said I really do want strong MI hockey...but sometimes you have to make the tough choice for the future.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

I pretty much agree with what you're saying. It's hard to win the Frozen Four but they used to get there at least every other year and always expected to be there.

Historically they've had a huge recruiting advantage so certainly the last couple of years are very disappointing. I would have been disappointed going 4-1 against PSU much less 2-3. Things have definitely changed.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
                          Yup and a lower winning percentage.
                          "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

He's not coaching you or I. He's coaching near high school age kids. He really should retire.
                            I kind of don't agree. It's just been 3 years since we were runer up, and we went to the FF in Denver not long before that.

So he seems to be able to connect to the players, where it appears to be a problem is when there are distractions inside the team. We had great talent a few years ago, when Jack Johnson was at point, but as good as he could have been, he was part of a pretty obvious clique on the team that tore the team apart. They should have easily made the FF with that team. But the very next year, after loosing a ton of talent, we make it.

And then a few years later, it's not as if we were that loaded with talent- just some dedicated players, and again, FF, and even being runner up.

last year was a huge problem- there were massive team chemistry problems. During the summer, some of the players left, and others were rumored to, and then stayed. Season started great, but it really looked like we still had lingering chemistry issues. Which then killed the season.

Now if we continue to have those kinds of problems, and the results we get, then I would really question if Red should still coach.

But I'd like to see what happens with next year before I think he's out of touch with the younger players. Maybe we need the assistants to re-examine their methods to avoid letting these problems maintain. At least choose the captain wisely. Copp should do well, but if I could talk to him, I would suggest thinking about the word choices- as much as people bash the choice of words people make, it does illustrate a mindset. So instead of using depsaration, use determination.

Anyway, seeing what transpired during the tough years, and how they've recovered in the past, I still think Red can do it.

Comment

One of the problems in this day and age is there is plenty of good schools for hockey to choose from,even some of the smaller lesser known schools recruit great talent.it used to be you needed to try and be at a big hockey program to be noticed to move on.Those days are gone.

Comment

I did read my prior post. I agree with his assessment of Berenson today; I disagree with the comparison to Woog. Woog inherited a program that was winning 30 games a season pretty regularly and had a huge in-state recruiting advantage. Berenson inherited a program that hadn't been a winning program in a while. It took him a few years, but he turned around the program and built up a recruiting advantage. He didn't inherit a winning program and a recruiting advantage.

I think that Berenson was a great coach who surrounded himself with good recruiters and early on did some of the key recruiting himself. I think that Woog was closer to an average coach.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X