Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Berenson Retirement Watch

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
    No. This is where other B1G hockey fans express their gratitude the Maize and Blue are still stuck with Red.
    "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
      No. This is where other B1G hockey fans express their gratitude the Maize and Blue are still stuck with Red.
      I wouldn't say "still stuck with Red" but yes it might be coming close to time. The man sneezes more hockey knowledge than everyone here has combined. Still, his age is cause for concern. When I was in school all of the players respected him an absolute ton and basically idolized him (granted, it wasn't that long ago that I was in school there). Now however kids have different attitudes and that "may" be affecting things? I couldn't tell you for sure as I do not personally know any of the current players.

Both Mel and Coach Berenson have contracts expiring at the same time (unless Mel extended his again) and that has always struck me as not so "coincidental". Does anyone know for sure? I also believe that Mel left originally to get some Head Coaching experience before Coach Berenson retired (Mel had always planned on coming "home" but they may have changed).

Tech isn't a destination....
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
        But it is still a step down going from the NHL to college hockey.
        He had many years in the NHL.
        So did Barry Melrose, but if my school hired BM I'd gouge out my own eyes with a rusty corkscrew.
        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Gwoz

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
            I wouldn't say "still stuck with Red" but yes it might be coming close to time. The man sneezes more hockey knowledge than everyone here has combined. Still, his age is cause for concern. When I was in school all of the players respected him an absolute ton and basically idolized him (granted, it wasn't that long ago that I was in school there). Now however kids have different attitudes and that "may" be affecting things? I couldn't tell you for sure as I do not personally know any of the current players.

Both Mel and Coach Berenson have contracts expiring at the same time (unless Mel extended his again) and that has always struck me as not so "coincidental". Does anyone know for sure? I also believe that Mel left originally to get some Head Coaching experience before Coach Berenson retired (Mel had always planned on coming "home" but they may have changed).

Tech isn't a destination....
            I would dispute about half of this, but you can believe whatever you want.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Just 2 words for you all;
              Reggie Dunlop
              Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

IMO, Mel Pearson is "the leader in the clubhouse" or the guy to beat to replace Red, when that time comes. He's served a long time as an assistant and now has a couple of seasons as the Head Coach at Tech.......
                he's ready. Too bad Red didn't take the opportunity to go out on top and retire before signing his current contract....................missing the nationals two years in a row is a good "early indicater".

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                  IMO, Mel Pearson is "the leader in the clubhouse" or the guy to beat to replace Red, when that time comes. He's served a long time as an assistant and now has a couple of seasons as the Head Coach at Tech.......
                  he's ready. Too bad Red didn't take the opportunity to go out on top and retire before signing his current contract....................missing the nationals two years in a row is a good "early indicater".
                  Does Michigan want a 58 year old head coach when the job changes hands? Wasn't Danton Cole the leader in the clubhouse at State?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

It is very hard to make the top 16 year in and year out,the coaches age is not the problem.

Comment

Bennett has this highlight reel going for him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co4S_Hxx7v0
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

He's not coaching you or I. He's coaching near high school age kids. He really should retire.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

With no trip to Alaska for two extra games and getting knocked out in game one in the B1GTourney, Michigan played 35 games this season...Wonder what the last season was that they played that few of games?..They always seem to around 40...

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            I think Cole being a Spartan could be seen as a negative were he to become a candidate. Too many money guys would voice their objections. It certainly would be an interesting process for sure.
                            As a Michigan softball fan, I have no problem with a Spartan as the head coach at Michigan. Afterall, Hutch who played softball (and basketball?) at MSU, is the winningest coach in the history of the Unviersity of Michigan.

I won't comment on should Red retire/who should replace him when he does retire.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Gophers went thru a similar stretch not too long ago (missed the tourney 3 straight years). You can't keep a program like Michigan down forever. You guys will bounce back in no time.
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the softball coach is going to serve as an anomaly. Also, I think that Danton's pretty happy in the part of Ann Arbor that he likes — at least he was when I last traded emails with him. He's due to come to town over the summer, and I'm sure that I'll see him then.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X