PDA

View Full Version : Red Berenson Retirement Watch

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

J.D.
03-23-2014, 08:36 PM
oh, well i really meant in regard to the part about brandon as AD. i was curious about that part.

J.D.
03-23-2014, 08:37 PM
and i don't think a buyout for a guy coaching at michigan tech is any concern for a place with funds like michigan.

CLS
03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Funny, when I saw the thread title, I thought he had already retired, they had given him a nice gold watch, and now they were peddling replicas of the watch. But wait! Just pay shipping and handling and we'll add a second one for free!:)

davyd83
03-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Mel isn't going anywhere for a couple years. Between his contract/buyout etc, and how early it is in his tenure...just not going to happen. I was talking with a few Techies this weekend (ShirtlessGuy being the most knowledgeable about the situation) and it'd take a minor miracle to get Mel to leave.

Early? He's got 3 of 5 years behind him. And if UM really wants him, that buyout won't make anyone in Ann Arbor bat an eyelash. As for Tech. I wouldn't be surprised if UM were just as interested in Billy Muckalt.

The Rube
03-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Early? He's got 3 of 5 years behind him. And if UM really wants him, that buyout won't make anyone in Ann Arbor bat an eyelash.

Early being a relative term. I'd guess that if MTU could've gotten him for longer on an initial contract, they would've.

davyd83
03-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Early being a relative term. I'd guess that if MTU could've gotten him for longer on an initial contract, they would've.

From what I know of Mel's deal, it seems to be pretty good for both sides and has Tech pretty well protected financially should he opt out early. Give MTU a ton of credit for the hire and for the agreement.

The Rube
03-23-2014, 09:10 PM
From what I know of Mel's deal, it seems to be pretty good for both sides and has Tech pretty well protected financially should he opt out early. Give MTU a ton of credit for the hire and for the agreement.

Knowing the specifics, indeed.

davyd83
03-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Knowing the specifics, indeed.

I can also say that if any talks were to arise between Mel & UM, it would certainly be all above board. Mel has as much integrity as any coach in the game.

The Rube
03-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Mel is indeed a stand up guy.

turk181
03-24-2014, 12:01 PM
End of Thread?.... http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2014/3/24/5542168/red-berenson-to-stay-at-michigan-at-least-another-year

firstpusk
03-24-2014, 12:05 PM
End of Thread?.... http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2014/3/24/5542168/red-berenson-to-stay-at-michigan-at-least-another-year

No. This is where other B1G hockey fans express their gratitude the Maize and Blue are still stuck with Red. ;)

UMICH
03-24-2014, 02:33 PM
No. This is where other B1G hockey fans express their gratitude the Maize and Blue are still stuck with Red. ;)

I wouldn't say "still stuck with Red" but yes it might be coming close to time. The man sneezes more hockey knowledge than everyone here has combined. Still, his age is cause for concern. When I was in school all of the players respected him an absolute ton and basically idolized him (granted, it wasn't that long ago that I was in school there). Now however kids have different attitudes and that "may" be affecting things? I couldn't tell you for sure as I do not personally know any of the current players.

Both Mel and Coach Berenson have contracts expiring at the same time (unless Mel extended his again) and that has always struck me as not so "coincidental". Does anyone know for sure? I also believe that Mel left originally to get some Head Coaching experience before Coach Berenson retired (Mel had always planned on coming "home" but they may have changed).

Tech isn't a destination....

Freddie
03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
But it is still a step down going from the NHL to college hockey.
He had many years in the NHL.

So did Barry Melrose, but if my school hired BM I'd gouge out my own eyes with a rusty corkscrew.

Ronnieb
03-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Gwoz

manurespreader
03-24-2014, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't say "still stuck with Red" but yes it might be coming close to time. The man sneezes more hockey knowledge than everyone here has combined. Still, his age is cause for concern. When I was in school all of the players respected him an absolute ton and basically idolized him (granted, it wasn't that long ago that I was in school there). Now however kids have different attitudes and that "may" be affecting things? I couldn't tell you for sure as I do not personally know any of the current players.

Both Mel and Coach Berenson have contracts expiring at the same time (unless Mel extended his again) and that has always struck me as not so "coincidental". Does anyone know for sure? I also believe that Mel left originally to get some Head Coaching experience before Coach Berenson retired (Mel had always planned on coming "home" but they may have changed).

Tech isn't a destination....

I would dispute about half of this, but you can believe whatever you want.

Freddie
03-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Just 2 words for you all;
Reggie Dunlop

FRICKER
03-24-2014, 09:40 PM
IMO, Mel Pearson is "the leader in the clubhouse" or the guy to beat to replace Red, when that time comes. He's served a long time as an assistant and now has a couple of seasons as the Head Coach at Tech.......
he's ready. Too bad Red didn't take the opportunity to go out on top and retire before signing his current contract....................missing the nationals two years in a row is a good "early indicater".

davyd83
03-24-2014, 10:03 PM
IMO, Mel Pearson is "the leader in the clubhouse" or the guy to beat to replace Red, when that time comes. He's served a long time as an assistant and now has a couple of seasons as the Head Coach at Tech.......
he's ready. Too bad Red didn't take the opportunity to go out on top and retire before signing his current contract....................missing the nationals two years in a row is a good "early indicater".
Does Michigan want a 58 year old head coach when the job changes hands? Wasn't Danton Cole the leader in the clubhouse at State?

hockeynut92
03-24-2014, 10:05 PM
It is very hard to make the top 16 year in and year out,the coaches age is not the problem.

LTsatch
03-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Bennett has this highlight reel going for him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co4S_Hxx7v0