Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does playoff turnout everwhere seem so low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does playoff turnout everwhere seem so low?

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    It's because there is no conference in the middle of the country not named B1G.

Actually, ND has it relatively easy compared to--

--Miami (NCHC), which has to travel to Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado, none of which were anywhere near southern Ohio last time I looked.
    --Bowling Green (WCHA), which has to travel to Alabama, Alaska, and Minnesota, none of which were anywhere near northern Ohio last time I looked.

ND has the resources to fly charter directly from South Bend to (or at least close to) wherever they're playing (not sure about Orono). And since they're chartering, they get to bypass most of the TSA hassle, don't have to wait for delayed connecting flights, don't have infants in the next seat slobbering all over them, but do have luxury buses hauling them around at their destination. So cabin pressurization puts them at a competitive disadvantage? Give me a break!
    Well, let's take a look at just how convenient it is to fly & bus upon arrival in Hockey East land:

UVM to Burlington International ........................3.5 miles
    UNH to Pease International ............................11.3 miles
    Maine to Bangor International ........................12.5 miles
    UConn (XL Center) to Bradley International ......16.2 miles
    BC to Hanscom Field (Bedford) .......................17.7 miles
    BU to Hanscom Field ....................................20.2 miles
    UMass-Lowell to Hanscom Field .....................20.6 miles
    Northeastern to Hanscom Field ....................21.7 miles
    Merrimack to Hanscom Field .........................29.5 miles
    UMass to Bradley International .....................46.9 miles
    Last edited by Hux; 03-24-2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I think we understand the conference realignment reasoning - $$$. Y'all don't have to keep bringing that up.

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
      I liked the 3-game series each season but now it's only 2 games with so many teams. I liked that rubber match game. Never liked ND joining HE with the distances involved agree South Bend is no where close to NE. Makes more sense for PSU to join since it's closer but not really.
      I really missed the 3 game series this year as well. Not saying UNH would have beat BC or UML later in the year after losing to them twice early, but it would have been fun to try. Another suck factor is the 2 game road series. UNH played 2 at Merrimack, none vs. Merrimack at home. Merrimack is < 1 hour drive from Durham. Huh? Also, I used to really look forward to hosting OOC games. MI, North Dakota, etc. Last fall I was looking forward to seeing Union and UNO. Nothing against them, but by the time they came to Durham, I was done with OOC teams. Finally, I am not a fan of the all teams qualify, some with byes, single elimination playoff format either.

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      FWIW, I think Notre Dame should have joined the NCHC. They would have been joining 3 other teams they have extensive histories with, Miami, Western Michigan, and UNO.
      I wonder what Notre Dame's HEA exit clause is. Who knows, but in a few years if things don't turn out as expected and they decide to bolt, I suspect Bertagna negotiated a sweet windfall for HEA.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
        According to last night's announcers, he's not using it as an excuse, but Jeff Jackson isn't all that thrilled with the Boston plane rides.
        Just wondering ... did he not know where HE teams were located?
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          Just wondering ... did he not know where HE teams were located?
          I think he was saying that the year was full of adjustments and towards the end of the year the travel every other week, travel 2 weeks in a row scenario got old. It will get better. Clearly they are able to make the best of travel logistics, but after a while even charter flights and luxury busses get old. You miss your own bed. Who knows, maybe HEA wasn't Jackson's choice, but the ND administration thought it was the place to be.

BTW someone referenced oWCHA, CCHA fans boycotting the B1G. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            I think he was saying that the year was full of adjustments and towards the end of the year the travel every other week, travel 2 weeks in a row scenario got old. It will get better. Clearly they are able to make the best of travel logistics, but after a while even charter flights and luxury busses get old. You miss your own bed. Who knows, maybe HEA wasn't Jackson's choice, but the ND administration thought it was the place to be.
            I suppose that makes sense. But as someone who used to fly for work all the time, you get used to it. It was my job, no point in complaining about it (if that's what he was doing). I just think that when you travel, you know that there's a chance of flight delays, or cancellations. Hell, if they're flying charter, that's even easier than having to go through what regular passengers do at the airport.
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I've never gone to the Hockey East tournament, because, as many have mentioned, I would prefer to stay home and watch all the tournament games on Direct TV. Friday was a glorious 7+ hour of non-stop college hockey including the Hockey East tournament. We've usually gone to Worcester or Manchester for the regionals, but I decided this year to stay home and watch as much as I can. I don't have to worry about Harvard making it to Lake Placid as long as Donato is the coach, but have gone there a couple of times in the past, including them winning the tournament in the early 90's, and that's enough. Nice place to visit once or twice, but Albany is a much better place to travel to, a reasonable trip from Boston. Wondered why there were tournaments in both Minneapolis and St. Paul, wouldn't that bring the attendance down at each arena?

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                I suppose that makes sense. But as someone who used to fly for work all the time, you get used to it. It was my job, no point in complaining about it (if that's what he was doing). I just think that when you travel, you know that there's a chance of flight delays, or cancellations. Hell, if they're flying charter, that's even easier than having to go through what regular passengers do at the airport.
                Me too. 50K plus for years, upgrades, clubs - almost as good as it could be flying commercial other than paying for 1st class. I didn't mind it, have some great stories, met some good people sharing rented cars to drive home from socked in NYC area airports, was actually on the west coast on 9-11. Wouldn't change a thing, but do not miss it one bit especially in the TSA era. Love my own, bed!

When relaying the story, the announcers made a point of saying he wasn't complaining or making excuses, just stating facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                  When you take the two biggest fan bases in the old WCHA and split them into 2 conference tourneys, this i what you get. Nobody should be surprised by the attendance numbers at the western tournaments.
                  I agree this has a lot to do with it. I'm not sure if you were including WI in this statement but either way, I agree. And with the Badger BBall team being placed in Milwaukee for the NC$$'s, that drew fans away from Minneapolis. But with NoDak in a different conference than Minnesota and UW, the fan base for conference tournaments - even when they are held in the same metro region - will be watered down. If they could only find a way to hold the B1G and NCHC conference tournaments at the same time in the same facility, that would make for quite an event.
                  Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
                    If they could only find a way to hold the B1G and NCHC conference tournaments at the same time in the same facility, that would make for quite an event.
                    Why do I love this idea?
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
                      I've never gone to the Hockey East tournament, because, as many have mentioned, I would prefer to stay home and watch all the tournament games on Direct TV. Friday was a glorious 7+ hour of non-stop college hockey including the Hockey East tournament. We've usually gone to Worcester or Manchester for the regionals, but I decided this year to stay home and watch as much as I can. I don't have to worry about Harvard making it to Lake Placid as long as Donato is the coach, but have gone there a couple of times in the past, including them winning the tournament in the early 90's, and that's enough. Nice place to visit once or twice, but Albany is a much better place to travel to, a reasonable trip from Boston. Wondered why there were tournaments in both Minneapolis and St. Paul, wouldn't that bring the attendance down at each arena?
                      Harvard fans didn't travel to Lake Placid or Albany. Even in 1994, when they won it all, they were outnumbered by all three other schools in attendance. You'll find Cornell, RPI, Clarkson, and SLU fans at any ECAC championship, so why not put it in a location that's central for all of them (except Cornell, but their fans travel anywhere).
                      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                        When you take the two biggest fan bases in the old WCHA and split them into 2 conference tourneys, this i what you get. Nobody should be surprised by the attendance numbers at the western tournaments.
                        They split Minnesota and Michigan???
                        Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                        10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                        5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                        21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                        ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                        ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
                        7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
                        National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          Why do I love this idea?
                          Right?! The more I think about it, it makes sense, at least to the normal hockey fan. It would be like the old WCHA tournament but even better.
                          Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                            Give me a break. You could have gotten into the building for 60 bucks for all 4 games. That is 15 bucks a game. You could have then gone down to the lower level. Instead YOU CHOSE to spend that money at the bar. There was no price point that would have brought you in if 15 bucks a game was too expensive.
                            Not talking about me per se but more so about the casual fan/family with kids in hockey/etc. They are highly unlikely to want to go downtown and deal with scalpers. Let them lock in at a lower price up front and you might get them to lock in for the weekend. I'm not a big fan of dealing with scalpers either particularly when you have a group of people going. Yes, you can get in for cheaper. Yes, you can absolutely move around once you get in. And then yes, you can pay $7+ per beer and eat crap food and we're still dealing with a sterile atmosphere.

If the attendance numbers were truly around 10,000 paid (doesn't matter if they were there or not) and we assume most went the $130 package route, then you're talking $1.3M in ticket revenue. Simple math says we'd need to see that number jump to 13,000 to get the same ticket revenue if they dropped the package to $100. Although you'd see higher in arena revenues with that increase which would be great for the Target Center but I don't believe the league gets a cut of that. Could totally be wrong on that.

And the more I think about it, they probably get to 13,000 at the current rate as long as you get SCSU or UMD in the tourney. In this league, that will never be a given. You could think about offering the discounted rate for earlier purchasers but those people are the most likely to pay full boat. Offering a steep discount to the johnny come latelys would then upset your core. Tough marketing equation the league has to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              Well, let's take a look at just how convenient it is to fly & bus upon arrival in Hockey East land:

UVM to Burlington International ........................3.5 miles
                              UNH to Pease International ............................11.3 miles
                              Maine to Bangor International ........................12.5 miles
                              UConn (XL Center) to Bradley International ......16.2 miles
                              BC to Hanscom Field (Bedford) .......................17.7 miles
                              BU to Hanscom Field ....................................20.2 miles
                              UMass-Lowell to Hanscom Field .....................20.6 miles
                              Northeastern to Hanscom Field ....................21.7 miles
                              Merrimack to Hanscom Field .........................29.5 miles
                              UMass to Bradley International .....................46.9 miles
                              PC uses transporters. Like Star Trek.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                                Harvard fans didn't travel to Lake Placid or Albany....
                                They don't travel to the Beanpot, either.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X