Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does playoff turnout everwhere seem so low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does playoff turnout everwhere seem so low?

In the case of the B1G tournament, it's going to take a while to establish a tradition. The WCHA Final Five evolved into the gold standard for conference tournaments, but those games had lots of empty seats in the early years. Hard to say at this point if the B1G has the potential to be comparable, but I do believe the crowds will grow. One advantage of the B1G format is that there's no risk of buying tickets and having your team fail to qualify.

Bigger picture, the first round of the NCAA Hoops tournament is always going to put something of a cap on attendance at our conference tournaments. Personally I haven't taken time to watch any of the basketball. But we have to face reality. Especially during the round of 64 teams, the casual fan is spoken for and won't be buying hockey tickets this weekend -- no matter how compelling our match-ups are. And note that a good percentage of those choosing hoops are watching at home, also avoiding the need to purchase expensive tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      USCHO listed total attendance at the Garden as 11,112, so guessing maybe 8000 for each game? Many PC fans were away along with their band or in bars watching their squeakball team. Not as many local ND fans there, without their über rival BC?
      Yeah I was surprised at the lack of Notre Dame fans. Didn't expect a huge contingent from Indianna but was surprised they didn't send a busload or 2 besides their band. Also expected many more Notre Dame gearhead posers. There were more UNH fans watching the first period of UML-ND than ND fans. Not having a sngle "green line team"(BU, BC, NU) really hurt attendance I think.

Comment

Yesterdays games:
        Atlantic Hockey Tournament - Attendance 1385 listed on both games Capacity 11200 Blue Cross Arena Roch. NY
        Big Ten - Attendance 1st game 7963 2nd game 9753 Capacity 17954 XCel Energy center St. Paul MN
        ECAC - both games 4337 Capacity 7700 Lake Placid NY Herb Brooks arena
        Hockey East - both games 11143 Capacity 18624 TD Garden Boston Mass
        NCHC - both games 9113 Capacity 20500 Target Center Mpls
        WCHA- First game 2700 second game 4494 Capacity 10834 Van Andel Arena GR, Michigan

Comment

Good thread. I agree with the points Freddie made and also pgp-ohio with the timing of the roundball chaos. I think one other factor is that the regular season is long (October-March) by the time Spring rolls around dedicated fans have spent a lot of A-S-S time at the rink. Adding the travel time and expenses into it, it makes this weekend inaccessible. The regional are even worse for fans in the west. I'm in Denver and the nearest host city is MSP (same as the conference tourney) which means airfare and hotels. My standard approach is to skip the conference and regionals and go to the FF.
          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
            Was that the sum for that two games combined?

I've never put much stock in self-reported turnout numbers. Remember when the Red Sox front office finally admitted that its consecutive games sellout number was bogus?
            Yes, as the tickets are sold for both games together. For comparison, USCHO lists 14.855 for the HE semi's last year, with BU-BC and UML-PC match ups, and 13,738 for the next night for the BC-BU championship.

But, I agree, ticket sales do not equal people in seats, whether at Fenway, the Garden, or Lake Whitt. Wish that those corporate ticket holders would donate their unused tickets to kids in need.

Comment

All valid reasons on this thread. Last night for me time, money, logistics/getting home after midnight and especially TV (10 games, 9 live, 6 in HD including Denver/Western which became my primary game when UML went up 4) were the reasons. This:

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              and from my personal perspective, things changed for me ever since i started getting all conference championships on TV like 10 years ago. i enjoy this weekend, watching all the available games.
              is huge. In '09 - '10 I purchased the Comcast cable sports package to watch UNH play RIT in Albany instead of making the trip. Great decision as the 'cats got hammered and for the price of the Albany trip I've paid for years of the sports package that brings me much more than just ESPNU.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.co...0322014140.jpg

Image of nearly empty target center for the first game yesterday.
                Go Pioneers!

Comment

I still don't know what to do tonight. The HEA championship is a big deal, but the start times for UNH/UML, WI/OH St., MIA/DEN are nicely staggered for maximum viewing and that's just the HD games. Thoughts?
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    I still don't know what to do tonight. The HEA championship is a big deal, but the start times for UNH/UML, WI/OH St., MIA/DEN are nicely staggered for maximum viewing and that's just the HD games. Thoughts?
                    I saved the money of an expensive trip to Lake Placid for two trips to Hamden and the Women's Frozen Four. Add to that, the fact that I can sit in my living room tonight and watch the conference finals, it was a good decision.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                    12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Yes, as the tickets are sold for both games together. For comparison, USCHO lists 14.855 for the HE semi's last year, with BU-BC and UML-PC match ups, and 13,738 for the next night for the BC-BU championship.

But, I agree, ticket sales do not equal people in seats, whether at Fenway, the Garden, or Lake Whitt. Wish that those corporate ticket holders would donate their unused tickets to kids in need.
                      Correction: "13,738 for the next night for the UML-BU championship" You know, Lowell, reigning HEA and NCAA NE Regional Champion...

5:00 PM start on a Friday is also bad for attendance. I had to take half a vacation day and have one of my kids dismissed early from school and I'm only 30 miles from Boston.

I agree on donating tix, send 4 free tix to every middle school in the state and let em sell raffle tix to benefit PTA. Those people will still buy sodas and swag parking etc and the garden won't be half empty.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                        i still don't know what to do tonight. The hea championship is a big deal, but the start times for unh/uml, wi/oh st., mia/den are nicely staggered for maximum viewing and that's just the hd games. Thoughts?
                        dvr?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                          Yeah I was surprised at the lack of Notre Dame fans. Didn't expect a huge contingent from Indianna but was surprised they didn't send a busload or 2 besides their band. Also expected many more Notre Dame gearhead posers. There were more UNH fans watching the first period of UML-ND than ND fans. Not having a sngle "green line team"(BU, BC, NU) really hurt attendance I think.
                          I don't see how you are surprised at the lack of ND fans. And sending a couple of busloads???? Seriously?

Comment

I just think interest level in Men's college hockey continues to decline. NCAA athletics and TV revenue is driven by two sports basketball and football - always have and always will. All other college sports, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, golf, swimming, will have their passionate followers but it will remain small and regional. It's OK, just need to reset expectations.

I don't think declining attendance has anything to do with TV options. It is probably more related to the economy and people's entertainment dollar only being able to stretch so far. I always get a kick out of the leagues reported attendance numbers. 9000+ reported at NCHC yet you look at the photos of game action and it looks like a woman's NCAA Final 4 hockey crowd ~ 500-1000 people in the seats.

Here is an interesting comparison when looking at the Big Ten conference tourney. There were probably 4000 - 5000 people at each of the semi-final games yesterday at the X. Two weeks ago at a Mn state High School event at the X-cel Energy Ctr it drew 18,000 for the semi-finals games.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              I'd rip up your fan card for considering it unless you have family priorities.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Yes, as the tickets are sold for both games together.
                                Meant it facetiously. Take the number of butts in seats for game 1, add the number of butts in seats for game two, and bingo -- there's your 11,112.

Comment

Working...
                                X