Colgate...Postseason Thread...Youth Is Served

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate...Postseason Thread...Youth Is Served

Good luck in Cincinnati, if that is where you play you next game and hope to see you again in Philadelphia. Benett repeated what he said after our first loss to you in November, "That’s an excellent hockey team over there in Colgate .....”
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Okay, now that I've gotten some rest, it's time for my analysis of both games this weekend:

Friday

Nothing much to say about the first period of this game. I thought both teams (Colgate and Quinnipiac) were getting a feel for the wider sheet of ice and maybe waiting for one team to make a mistake. Then the second period. The dreaded second period. Maybe it was the long change, but even with our success in 2014, we seem to struggle during second periods. Quinnipiac gets a mini-breakaway during 4-on-4 play and scores. Then they score a PPG and it's 2-0, and I'm starting to think "here we go again". But then we get a garbage goal to make it 2-1 and we're back in the game! And immediately after that, the refs call a penalty on us! Part of me thought they were trying to screw us over! Quinnipiac got 6 power play opportunities while we only got 3, and one of them wasn't even a full two minutes!

Not going to talk much about the 3rd period and the overtimes. We all know what happened. I will say that we did have more of the scoring opportunities in the first OT though. Other posters mentioned on this thread that we were rolling four lines but Quinnpiac wasn't. Maybe that's why we eventually won the game! But watching the bonus sessions ... I was so dizzy and my heart was pounding, wondering if we would win or lose. Then in the second OT, I see the puck hit the back of the twine and I start jumping up and down. I've seen double OT wins in 2008, 2011, and now 2014. Perhaps I'm a good-luck charm?

Saturday

It was uncharted territory, not only for the team, but for head coach Don Vaughan. And I'm just going to say it right now, the dreaded 2nd period torched us. It was our worst 20 minutes since the Jan. 31 game at Brown. We skated with the Dutchmen in the 1st and 3rd periods. In fact, we outshot them 16-5 in the first period but couldn't score! Then in the 2nd period we're outshot 18-8, and go down 3-0. We did a better job staying out of the box, taking only 2 penalties, but Union scores on one of them just 9 seconds into the power play! Perhaps the OT sessions last night caught up to us in the 2nd period. At least the team didn't quit. We scored twice in the 3rd and hopefully it's positive momentum going into our NCAA Tournament game. Stuck around to see the trophy presentation, and noticed that our team stayed on the ice for it, showing that they're not sore losers. But of course, I would have preferred to see us win. Both games combined, we went 0 for 7 on the power play and only killed 6 of 8 penalties. Maybe it was the wider sheet of ice, but we'll need to have special teams success if we're going to have NCAA Tournament success.

I never went to any of the Atlantic City championship games, but I gotta say, I really enjoyed the trip up to Lake Placid. It felt like a vacation getaway. There were signs all over the village that said "Welcome ECAC Hockey Fans". The ECAC tournament belongs here. Not in Albany or Atlantic City. Yes, it wasn't easy getting there. In fact, it snowed sporadically during the day on Saturday! But we traveled well. In both of our games, I think we had just as many fans in attendance as Cornell did on Friday night. In fact, we outnumbered the Quinnipiac fans on Friday! Saturday it was more 50-50. But seeing that we didn't win it all this year, it gives me an excuse to go back there next year!

NCAA Selection Show is at noon on ESPNU. I will be watching. Will you?
      Colgate '09

Comment

Yeahhhhhh COLGATE. NCAAs here we come. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Comment

Just wanted to congratulate Colgate on a great season so far. Hope we'll see you again in Philly!
          LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Well it is official, Ferris State in Cincinatti at 430. I am ok with this as we were able to stay away from BC and Minnesota (were we to win).

I like playing Ferris as we have played them well. Woulda been nice getting a completely new team but happy just to get an invite, remember that with a minute to go on Friday we were on the outside looking in.

Now we are one good weekend from Philly (same boat as every team left)

Comment

Again? ...can't you guys just leave us alone.
              "What I get paid for are the practices, I would play the games for nothing."
              - Tim Horton

Ferris State University
              CCHA Champions 2003 & 2012

Comment

FWIW Dep't: I know the committee has to do what it has to do, and the pairwise tells no lies, but I have trouble with QU and Union being in the same bracket. Would rather have seen ECAC teams spread out to bring more of a national look to the field. By switching Mass-Lowell and QU (#6 & #7) there wouldn't be that much change in terms of strength (or PWR) and fans would have no trouble getting to Worcester or Bridgeport. I'd just like to see an ECAC team on the other side of the bracket so they don't eliminate each other before Phillie. Just my 2 sense.
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

We get the early game. Interesting.
                  Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                    We get the early game. Interesting.
                    My only guess is that they gave Wisconsin the choice. The other #1 seeds have the early games
                    Last edited by red133883; 03-23-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                      My only guess is that they gave Wisconsin the choice. The other #1 seeds have the early games
                      I think it's a TV matter. We get the early game cause it's on ESPN3, while they want North Dakota vs. Wisconsin on ESPNU. Can't complain too much, as I do get ESPN3.
                      Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

So yeah, I'd rather play a team we haven't faced at all this season, but at least we're in the national tournament.
                        Colgate '09

Comment

Congrats on making the NCAA's.

Comment

I think ours is a pretty even regional. I think any of the four teams can make it to the Frozen Four.
                            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Everyone is in the same boat with a record of 0-0. I agree, this regional is wide open. I think Bridgeport is an open regional as well, although Union is there and they are playing good hockey. The two brackets no one wanted to be in was St. Paul and Worcester, there would have to be a monumental upset in either of those brackets to come out of those regions.

As always these games are going to come down to us playing smart hockey and minimizing the dumb penalties, and of course Finn. Some of the saves he made on Friday were insane and desperately needed.

In October who would have thought we would still be talking hockey after the ecac playoffs? This is exciting

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
                                Everyone is in the same boat with a record of 0-0. I agree, this regional is wide open. I think Bridgeport is an open regional as well, although Union is there and they are playing good hockey. The two brackets no one wanted to be in was St. Paul and Worcester, there would have to be a monumental upset in either of those brackets to come out of those regions.

As always these games are going to come down to us playing smart hockey and minimizing the dumb penalties, and of course Finn. Some of the saves he made on Friday were insane and desperately needed.

In October who would have thought we would still be talking hockey after the ecac playoffs? This is exciting
                                The first highlighted part is true. Especially for the 2nd period. That's where we tend to lose the games we lose. The 2nd highlighted point almost cost us the tournament bid, and in my opinion, cost us a championship this weekend.
                                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Working...
                                X