X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Yes
    Ok thanks for that info. Others have a better eye for the talents of Justin but I felt he was a hard worker and stepped up big particularly in the second half of our season. Had an awesome hat trick that I remember this season and scored in the HE semi. Good luck to Justin and Q..
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Ok thanks for that info. Others have a better eye for the talents of Justin but I felt he was a hard worker and stepped up big particularly in the second half of our season. Had an awesome hat trick that I remember this season and scored in the HE semi. Good luck to Justin and Q..
      Well said.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        Although Justin Agosta did not attend the Awards Banquet.....
        He didn't attend? Did all of the other players attend? Besides those who have turned pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan422 View Post
          He didn't attend? Did all of the other players attend? Besides those who have turned pro.
          Justin had an important family commitment, Eric K was in the playoffs with the Marlies but sent a message that Jeff Wyer read. Goumas, Sorkin were both there. I believe that covers it..Mike feel free to correct if this isn't complete.

Comment

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
            Basically, the NCAA wants to see that the student-athlete transferred in order to continue his or her academic career by pursuing a graduate degree not offered at the previous school for this to work.
            That's a lame rule. Many students change schools for graduate studies even if their undergrad school has the grad study program they want. Good advisors will encourge this; it helps broaden the student's perspective. IMO, if you graduate and you want to change schools and you have eligibility there shouldn't be any restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
              That's a lame rule. Many students change schools for graduate studies even if their undergrad school has the grad study program they want. Good advisors will encourge this; it helps broaden the student's perspective. IMO, if you graduate and you want to change schools and you have eligibility there shouldn't be any restriction.
              Completely agree. In this case it is less about hockey and more about education. If he wants to go to grad school anywhere and they happen to have Div I hockey and he happens to have years left the NCAA should not have rules to stop him.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Few random thoughts after being away for a few days ...

* The Agosta developments are interesting. It's not surprising that he's not returning - I think Senior Night made that clear. But to see him leaving to play at Quinnipiac is borderline shocking (to me, anyway). And IF there was indeed an issue with coaching as has been inferred, then it will be VERY interesting to see how Agosta develops in a "one and done" scenario down in Hamden. If nothing else, it also reinforces how far UNH has fallen, when a senior/3 year regular decides to use his final year of eligibility elsewhere.

* The TvR selection as Co-Defensive Player of the Year ... agree with those who disagree with his selection. Knodel should have won that one all by himself, and arguably Pesce was more deserving than TvR. It's not that TvR didn't play well, and he certainly didn't ask to get injured the way he did. But he missed almost half of the season, and ALL of the really important games. I'll refrain from poking fun at UNH's typical "a win in October is as good as a win in February" mentality, and simply comment that overall, I see the shared award being nothing more than basically a "BvR insurance policy".

* Speaking of Pesce ... as a junior, he is now your "bell cow" defenseman for the coming season, as Knodel, TvR AND Agosta have all moved on. I remember a few weeks ago, we (myself included) were hopeful that one or two of the departing three would be back for one more season. Now there are none, and there are no guarantees of Pesce's return (although one would think Carolina would be pleased with his progression this last season, and fine with leaving him at UNH) ... can we officially classify this as a rebuilding year?

* Now with the Lassonde-returning-closer-to-home and UNH Women's coaching situations clarified, it looks like the UNH Men's Hockey coaching staff remains the same as last season's staff. Considering the large numbers in the incoming class, they are going to have a LOT of work on their hands. Looking at the early 2014/2015 schedule, it could get REAL ugly REAL early. But if they can tread water through the winter break, they could be poised to finish strongly (( ... this is a recording)). I'm still predicting a 7th place HE finish. Should UNH finish in the bottom half of HE next season ... does the pressure grow on Coach Umile to make changes to his staff? OR should a few of the highly-touted recruits show early promise and develop strongly next season, and bring the others along, does this mark a turnaround in the program's long-term outlook? For all of these reasons, I think next season will be a fascinating one at UNH.

* Remember who predicted Thrush would get a captain's letter, and DeSmith wouldn't?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Wait, if next year is a rebuilding year, what was this year??
                  "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                    Wait, if next year is a rebuilding year, what was this year??
                    Did I miss something, or were there basically only three (3) newbies on the roster this past season?

Kelleher up front, Cleland and then Maller later on back on the blueline.

In college, as in high school and prep school, every year is technically a rebuilding year to some degree.

Let's just say that if this past season was a

rebuilding year ...

... then this coming season will be a

REBUILDING YEAR

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Did I miss something, or were there basically only three (3) newbies on the roster this past season?

Kelleher up front, Cleland and then Maller later on back on the blueline.

In college, as in high school and prep school, every year is technically a rebuilding year to some degree.

Let's just say that if this past season was a

rebuilding year ...

... then this coming season will be a

REBUILDING YEAR
                      Tell us how you really feel 'bout next season Chuck! . Seriously we are losing a lot no question. Given the formidable schedule, incoming new players there is work to do. So here's another spin on it..given all of this what about our current players. You know, guys like Camper, Gaudreault etc. Just like Matt Willows who had his breakout year what's to say some of these guys won't do the same? Educate me on how this scenario could be possible...or not. They all got some decent playing time at least they all seemed to. Now it's also assuming they have decent skills to begin with. I do agree it's quite likely to see a season like 11/12 (I was not following the team that year). Will we be this years version of BU? I mean...anything is possible? Regardless I am still planning on that Vermont weekend...

Comment

Will we be this years version of BU? I mean...anything is possible?
                        No way of knowing if UNH's overall record for 2014-15 will be similar to BU's record in 2013-14. There is one (at least) relevant difference between these two teams. The 2013-14 BU team were players recruited specifically for Jack Parker's style and systems. In general, the skills of those BU players did not match up well with the type of game the new coach (Quinn) wanted them to play.

The UNH players on the 2014-15 team have been recruited in order to match up with the style and systems of Umile/Borek/Tortorella. It's reasonable to expect next year's team to improve as the season goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          No way of knowing if UNH's overall record for 2014-15 will be similar to BU's record in 2013-14. There is one (at least) relevant difference between these two teams. The 2013-14 BU team were players recruited specifically for Jack Parker's style and systems. In general, the skills of those BU players did not match up well with the type of game the new coach (Quinn) wanted them to play.

The UNH players on the 2014-15 team have been recruited in order to match up with the style and systems of Umile/Borek/Tortorella. It's reasonable to expect next year's team to improve as the season goes on.
                          Good points Mike...I am realistic about what we've lost...and super excited about what we are gaining! Never really thought about the BU situation in that manner..of course, it makes sense. If you were putting a team together right now, which of the new recruits do you see as making the biggest impact in the early going? Appreciate the perspectives of all who keep it meaningful and relevant!

Comment

If you were putting a team together right now, which of the new recruits do you see as making the biggest impact in the early going? Appreciate the perspectives of all who keep it meaningful and relevant!
                            Semi-wild guesses:

Most impact in first 1/3 of season - Shane Eiserman, Dylan Chanter, Andrew Poturalski and Michael McNicholas because of their size and/or experience. Jason Salvaggio would be my wild card pick for the same reasons.

Most impact in last 1/3 of season - The same four plus Warren Foegele and Cam Marks. Foegele and Marks will probably take time to get used to the level of speed and skill of the competition but could be relatively quick studies. Also, if Casey DeSmith gets hurt or has a prolonged slump, look for Adam Clark to have a big impact.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Tell us how you really feel 'bout next season Chuck! . Seriously we are losing a lot no question. Given the formidable schedule, incoming new players there is work to do. So here's another spin on it..given all of this what about our current players. You know, guys like Camper, Gaudreault etc. Just like Matt Willows who had his breakout year what's to say some of these guys won't do the same? Educate me on how this scenario could be possible...or not. They all got some decent playing time at least they all seemed to. Now it's also assuming they have decent skills to begin with. I do agree it's quite likely to see a season like 11/12 (I was not following the team that year). Will we be this years version of BU? I mean...anything is possible? Regardless I am still planning on that Vermont weekend...
                              My guess is that Camper and Gaudreault will be lucky to get a little ice time on the fourth line this coming season. The incoming class looks awesome compared to those of the past two years.

Comment

Of course, anything is possible. But yes, I do believe UNH will be this year's version of last year's BU team. Maybe a shade better due to the coaching continuity.

With Willows, you could see those skills in flashes, as you could with Stevie Moses a few years ago, or even Bobby Butler early in his UNH career, when he was still pretty much a nobody. But I just don't see that development with Correale, Gaudreault, Camper or even Thrush. Maybe Thrush will have an Austin Block-like senior year? Maybe Kelleher will become the next Willows (more likely)?

Put me in the same camp as 'Watcher in thinking UNH has done OK with mid-level talent, but at some point it's going to drop (again) at least until the incoming players begin to acclimate at this level. I don't see that happening until the 2015/2016 season, when they will be joined by BvR and others. Hopefully Pesce sticks around to captain that team. IF we are VERY lucky, UNH will make a push late in the 2014/2015 season and get the young'uns some valuable post-season experience.

Hoping I am 100% wrong, but this is unfortunately what I see in the short-term future for UNH. I'll be happy to hazard a guess on the long-term future once I actually see the new guys playing against D-1 competition. Let's revisit at the holiday break this December.

Comment

Working...
                                X