Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
    And so it ends. UNH hung in there for the first ten minutes to a better team and then once UML scored, old "mo" kicked in and they started to take the game over. Overall, I thought UNH did the best they could. I kind of knew it wasn't going to go the Cats way when, in the first period, Speelman and Kelleher broke in on a 2 on 0 and didn't get a decent shot off. Hellebuyck never really faced a lot of quality shots and looked very relaxed and comfortable in net all game long.

As somebody said on this thread, it's not worth rehashing all the shoulda, woulda, couldas of this season at this point. It's more appropriate to say thanks to the seniors for their careers and wish them well going forward. Best of luck as well to UML going into the NCAAs. You have a very good hockey team and should make another deep run.

Have a great summer fellow UNH fans. Last one off the thread can turn out the lights and we'll see you in October.
    Great sentiments; we knew going into this weekend winning the whole thing was gonna be a big task. We (UNH) did something we have not done in a long time making it to the championship and for that, we/they should be very proud! UML is a great team and agree; they will make it interesting in the NCAA's. From prelim brackets they are on a 'collision' course with BC but it's not official yet! Still some great hockey to watch! It's great to see the HE represented well...
    As per turning out the lights guess it's kind of like ice out day at the 'Whitt which I imagine will happen in a couple of days from now...sigh. Well this "ref" has 25 lacrosse games to officiate and IS looking forward to summer as a teacher...if it EVER comes! I'll sit one more time this year in the 'Whit come UNH graduation time as my daughter is on track to graduate with honors and despite her protests..she WILL be attending that pre-graduation ceremony Finally I want to give a big shout out to you all on this board who have "tolerated" my newbieness and cheerleader stuff too! I've learned a lot from each and everyone of you about this game, the UNH 'story', yada yada. Hoping to meet more of you next year. Good luck to all who remain in the game...

Thank you Seniors!!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2014 Post-Season Thread: "Maybe Dick" Hunts the Great White Whale

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      My daughter went to that meet and said it was amazing congrats to them!
      We watched the EAGL meet at the Whitt as well. Our daughter, a former collegiate gymnast, was working at the meet as an auxiliary floor judge. Fantastic win by the 'Cat gymnasts!!

Interesting note - the last time the UNH gymnastics team won the EAGL championship was when the hosted it at the Whitt in 2003. Coincidentally, the last year UNH hockey won the Hockey East championship was also 2003. I was really hoping that history would repeat itself last night.

Best of luck to this senior class who fought hard until the bitter end. They will definitely be missed next year.
      UNH

Comment

HockeyRef...I have to admit at times I was a bit bemused by your posts this season, but you know what, it's really good to have somebody new on the board shaking their blue and white pom poms with such enthusiasm. I can't hold a candle to some of the "old time" posters here who watched the Cats play at Snively, however I have been following the team for long enough to have seen enough misery and disappointment over the years to have a slightly jaded outlook on the team and it's performance every year. I thank you for refreshing this UNH fan's perspective. I think I tend to dwell on the negative too much and forget about the great moments the Cats have provided. I just watched with goosebumps the 2009 Miracle in Manchester clip on yt again...maybe THE most amazing, exciting and improbable sports moment I've ever seen in my life (and yes, my head did in fact explode when Peter LeBlanc ripped that wrister to win that game for UNH!)...there are more as well, but suffice to say, they should counter the not so good moments UNH has had along the way.

Congrats to your daughter also. Best of luck to her going forward. Looking forward to next season as well as hopefully another rolling rally in Boston in June

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          OMG!!!!! Sacrilege!!

Such is the exalted status of ELP at the WIS Estate that until the kids probably reached the age of 10, they believed Dad when he told them the names of the Three Wise Men were Keith, Greg & Carl. True story.
          Nice! Similar to my daughter here in the Queen City as we sat on the deck "listen(ing) to the river sing sweet songs". In her 'N Sync/Backstreet/etc. days I began including a "real" music CD - The Who, Beatles, Aerosmith, Stones, etc. - with her presents every XMAS and birthday. Early on she discovered AC DC. It warmed my heart knowing she was roaming the halls of her up tight elementary school with Hell's Bells playing in her head.

I've been wondering if your non-smart phone has a qwerty slide out? Kudos if not and if it is a flip phone there are Four Wise Men.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
            HockeyRef...I have to admit at times I was a bit bemused by your posts this season, but you know what, it's really good to have somebody new on the board shaking their blue and white pom poms with such enthusiasm. I can't hold a candle to some of the "old time" posters here who watched the Cats play at Snively, however I have been following the team for long enough to have seen enough misery and disappointment over the years to have a slightly jaded outlook on the team and it's performance every year. I thank you for refreshing this UNH fan's perspective. I think I tend to dwell on the negative too much and forget about the great moments the Cats have provided. I just watched with goosebumps the 2009 Miracle in Manchester clip on yt again...maybe THE most amazing, exciting and improbable sports moment I've ever seen in my life (and yes, my head did in fact explode when Peter LeBlanc ripped that wrister to win that game for UNH!)...there are more as well, but suffice to say, they should counter the not so good moments UNH has had along the way.

Congrats to your daughter also. Best of luck to her going forward. Looking forward to next season as well as hopefully another rolling rally in Boston in June
            Aw, thanks for your very kind words towards my daughter! Hard to believe we are 'at this place' in our lives with BOTH kids through school *UNH GRADS who join their dad as an alum. Me, am a PSC (now PSU) grad...And how did you know I really do have blue and white pom poms??? I've seen that video clip; it IS amazing...! As Mike (CHC) told me after we beat Northeastern 'there will be many more moments like this'...can hardly wait!! I knew being here on this board would provide some on occasion but that's ok. It takes 'all kinds" as they say. Heck I did some on occasion myself. Glad you found some good stuff along the way as I certainly did! I am in UNH 'hockey withdrawal' but there's still the 'B's to watch (12 straight baby!) and YES to a rolling rally in June!! Enjoy it all....

Thank you 'Cats!!

Comment

Hockeyref, I hope you youtubed the Cox-Hislop-Clark video from1974 and Snively...if you think that our win over N.Dakota was something, watch that....for my existence with UNH hockey, some 39 years now, the best minute of hockey ever!

Comment

• "UNH Hockey Competes Until the End"
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  Hockeyref, I hope you youtubed the Cox-Hislop-Clark video from1974 and Snively...if you think that our win over N.Dakota was something, watch that....for my existence with UNH hockey, some 39 years now, the best minute of hockey ever!
                  Oh I have seen that! Just unbelievable...can only imagine that happening today, for ANY team. They don't make em..like they used to! Must've been wild to have seen that in person! Great hockey memories for some of you!

Thank You 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                    Thank you Mike! Tip of the hat to you for keeping the positives of the team out in front with great hopes for the future!! See ya on Twitter if not here. Have a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Oh I have seen that! Just unbelievable...can only imagine that happening today, for ANY team. They don't make em..like they used to! Must've been wild to have seen that in person! Great hockey memories for some of you!
                      Unlikely, with a completely different concept of defense in the game today, that anything will ever top that.

Not UNH, but connected in that after beating the Fighting Sioux we lost a heart breaker in the last 15 seconds to BU who then went on to do this in the national championship game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mBI7jEfVU. Remembering how they pulled out games that year and watching them slide since, year by year I become more convinced that Coach Parker made a Faustian deal to capture one final national title.

Comment

Nice calls Darius, I remember watching that and could not believe their luck! If UNH could've ever gotten puck luck like that when we needed it, we'd have a couple of NC...alas we haven't.
                        Kudo's also to CHC, for some great writing this season....maybe you could help the Media Research department with the Timeline they put up this past year....somehow our first 2 trips to the Frozen Four aren't of note in our programs history! Neither our 77 trip to Detroit, nor the trip to Providence in 82 made the grade!! How will we ever get a jumbotron if we can't even transcribe our own history!!

Comment

Yup, we are a bounce and a Vanek removed from 2 national championships in the last 15 years.
                          Last edited by Darius; 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Yup, we are a bounce and a Vanek removed from 2 national championships in the last 15 years.
                            Lol. You guys crack me up.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                              Lol. You guys crack me up.
                              My pleasure. I'll be here all week.

Comment

BTW Carmine, reading your signature, a friend teaching at BU while a graduate student had Trivino in a class. Said he was a nice guy and a pretty good student and was surprised by the allegations.

Comment

Working...
                                X