Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 NCAA Frozen Four: Minnesota vs. Wisconsin in Border Battle Semifinal

Go Gophers!

Gophers & Badgers X 5. Foes very familiar with each other obviously. No surprises in strategy or game specific objectives for either...I suspect.

Who's headed to Hamden from the Gopher Nation? Make some noise eh!
    Last edited by brookyone; 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: 2014 NCAA Frozen Four: Minnesota vs. Wisconsin in Border Battle Semifinal

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    Go Gophers!

Gophers & Badgers X 5. Foes very familiar with each other obviously. No surprises in strategy or game specific objectives for either...I suspect.

Who's headed to Hamden from the Gopher Nation? Make some noise eh!
    In six previous trips to the Frozen Four, Wisconsin has never lost in the semi-final.

Hey, I'm just sayin' :-)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      In six previous trips to the Frozen Four, Wisconsin has never lost in the semi-final.
      How many of those six teams had already lost two games in March?
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Yes, but in more recent history the Gophers are on a ten-game winning streak against the Badgers....just sayin'.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

For whatever it's worth this just feels like a situation where Wisconsin is due to win a game with Minnesota. These two programs have traded back and forth dominating for the last few years and it has been what, around 10 games or so that Wisconsin has not beaten the Gophers?
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            For whatever it's worth this just feels like a situation where Wisconsin is due to win a game with Minnesota. These two programs have traded back and forth dominating for the last few years and it has been what, around 10 games or so that Wisconsin has not beaten the Gophers?
            10 games would be exactly correct. Many of those have been very close and could have gone the other way. Beating Wisconsin an eleventh straight time will be no small feat, as the two teams obviously know each other very well and will be very well prepared.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              10 games would be exactly correct. Many of those have been very close and could have gone the other way. Beating Wisconsin an eleventh straight time will be no small feat, as the two teams obviously know each other very well and will be very well prepared.
              Given that the time stamp is the same but was probably mere seconds apart I did not see your post stating the 10 game winning streak otherwise I would have had the answer to my question...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The gambler's fallacy, also known as the Monte Carlo fallacy or the fallacy of the maturity of chances, is the mistaken belief that if something happens more frequently than normal during some period, then it will happen less frequently in the future.

I'm no mathematician, but I'm counting on the fact that even though we've beaten WI 10 times in a row, if we outplay them, we can make it 11!

Beating Wisconsin once is tough, let alone 11 times in a row. But it's tough to beat the Gophers, too! I hope the Gophers play great..Sarah Davis and Milica McMillan are due for some magic. Go Gophers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  The rodentettes just have too much firepower to overcome. UW would have to play perfect transition D to have a chance because the rodentettes have too much talent not to finish the odd gal chances. UW is a year away from being more competitive offensively with the rodentettes. At this point I see the UW/UM relationship as the 1950's-1970's US/USSR arms race. There's other players out there, but they are pretenders and will be until they overtake the 2 superpowers.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Law of averages. Something a fan (like me) might surely be concerned with. It's in the back of my mind, I confess. As for the team, it's one game where the previous have no bearing. Or at least I believe that should be, and will be the approach. My "Lottery Theory" where the odds of any one line being a jackpot winner are identical regardless of how many lines you buy. Make any sense as an analogy?

Or...what KTDC said.

Forget about the odds or any law of averages. Forget the recent history and focus on what you do every game. What you did to arrive at this point. Then do it.

Not to say familiarity isn't a component. So it rests mostly on execution IMO...and maybe a bounce.

The quality possessed by Wisconsin that concerns me is the proficiency for burying rebounds / garbage after initial saves are made. More so than pure sniping. Gophers have to keep the house clean in that respect.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Which of those six teams is playing this week.

Comment

One additional thought. It would never occur to me to call the Bemidji women's team the Beaverettes. Minnesota Duluth the Bulldogettes. St. Cloud the Huskyettes. Minnesota State the Maverickettes...because I would think that chauvinistic, demeaning and fairly offensive. That's just me I suppose.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Law of averages. Something a fan (like me) might surely be concerned with. It's in the back of my mind, I confess. As for the team, it's one game where the previous have no bearing. Or at least I believe that should be, and will be the approach. My "Lottery Theory" where the odds of any one line being a jackpot winner are identical regardless of how many lines you buy. Make any sense as an analogy?

Or...what KTDC said.
                          For the most part yes. The only slight difference is that while lottery draws or 'flips of a coin' etc are 'discrete' events where the outcome of one doesn't in any way affect the outcome of the next, 'the next game' can be affected by lessons learned in the previous games (on both sides). So in that sense they are not discrete events.

The way I like to think about it is something on the order of "if these two teams (the 2014 editions, that is) played ten times, Minn would win nine of the ten. Will Friday be one of those nine, or will Friday be 'the tenth'?" Who knows? Drop the puck and let's find out.

Comment

The way I like to think about it is something on the order of "if these two teams (the 2014 editions, that is) played ten times, Minn would win nine of the ten. Will Friday be one of those nine, or will Friday be 'the tenth'?" Who knows? Drop the puck and let's find out.
                            Since they only play 5 this year, we'll put the 10th one on your account for sometime next year....... Gophers 3-1.

Comment

One additional thought. It would never occur to me to call the Bemidji women's team the Beaverettes. Minnesota Duluth the Bulldogettes. St. Cloud the Huskyettes. Minnesota State the Maverickettes...because I would think that chauvinistic, demeaning and fairly offensive. That's just me I suppose.
                              I must say I agree. It appears to me that the particular poster is intentionally phrasing it that way to troll a bit, which I can handle better than an "odd gal" situation, which has always made me cringe.
                              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Working...
                              X