Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bowling Green vs. Minnesota State WCHA Semifinal

Originally posted by Nab423 View Post
    This game could be decided by a "garbage" goal. No goals are garbage in hockey. Don't quote me on this, but I can see the game winner being a slapshot from the point, hitting the glass behind the net and the pucks bounced back and hits the goalie in the back and goes in...wouldn't be the first time I have seen it.

It is going to be a good, fun game. Hopefully I will be able to watch it live.
    BG has seen a good variety of those garbage goals this year both for and against:
    *Had this exact goal you described, off the glass, goalie's water bottle, back of goalie's head .
    *Twice had puck hit a seam in the boards on a dump-around, bounced right in front to chaser while goalie was behind net.
    *Gave Tech an "own-goal" on an attempted back-pass following a faceoff win deep in own zone.
    *Came VERY close to see one go in off the referee's skate this past Saturday.

Couldn't agree more. No such thing as garbage, at least not when its YOUR team making the score.

BG's team defense has improved tremendously over the last several weeks. They've been doing a great job on limiting 'grade-A" chances and clearing any rebounds. Early on, I believe we were trying to do 'too much' with those rebounds (trying to get control of them and skate or pass up ice)...lately, we've been steering those rebounds in to the corner, and taking our chances on winning the scrums down deep. I still see an occasional 'panic' decision down there in the corners, we took a crap-load of icing calls last weekend vs Tech, and we've got to win more faceoffs!

The Falcons are playing with a lot of confidence right now and (altho I know it was a LONG time ago) the fact BG has beaten the Mavs twice is a reminder that we CAN win.

Again, no bold predictions from this fan, other than expectations for an exciting game.
    Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
      last time I checked, Mankato's PK was 6th. and BG's was 13th.
      but yeah, the expectations here are on Mankato.
      The expectations haven't been on BG in the tournaments for the last several years yet we still advanced. Expectations and reality don't always meet. Ferris can attest to that.

Mankato is good, there is no doubt about it but BG is playing its best hockey of the season right now. If they continue to play like they have the last 4 games, it will be one helluva good game. I believe that BG can win but I won't say that they will or can win based on this factor or that one. There are just too many variables and lucky bounces to take into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        BG beat us recently better than Mankato.

All year I thought Mankato would win the WCHA, but now I am not so sure.

I think GR will bring some surprises as the predicted Ferris vs MSU is also as likely not to happen.

Hope the fans come out and watch some great hockey.

I really like Coach Bergeron, and think he will have his team ready for Mankato.
        They beat you better? You're justifying reasoning as to why you think BG can beat Mavericks off that?

Bowling Green could beat the Mavs due to a number of reasons...

1. Good penalty killing and staying out of the box in general.
        2. Good goaltending.
        3. Continuing to play consistently better hockey, like they have the last 5 games. (5-0)

Comparing scores is for fools. If you want to compare scores, the Mavericks are 10-1-1 in their last 12, and the Falcons are 6-5-1 all in WCHA play. That suggests the Mavericks should have a better chance to win. It's a stupid system, because quite frankly, the last 12 games for both teams have no meaning come Friday.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

I also have to take exception to Huskiefan906's post. The margin of victory means diddly-squat. Saturday's BG win over Tech was the CLOSEST 5-2 game I've ever seen. It was anybody's game right up to the ENG.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
            BG has seen a good variety of those garbage goals this year both for and against:
            *Had this exact goal you described, off the glass, goalie's water bottle, back of goalie's head .
            *Twice had puck hit a seam in the boards on a dump-around, bounced right in front to chaser while goalie was behind net.
            *Gave Tech an "own-goal" on an attempted back-pass following a faceoff win deep in own zone.
            *Came VERY close to see one go in off the referee's skate this past Saturday.

Couldn't agree more. No such thing as garbage, at least not when its YOUR team making the score.

BG's team defense has improved tremendously over the last several weeks. They've been doing a great job on limiting 'grade-A" chances and clearing any rebounds. Early on, I believe we were trying to do 'too much' with those rebounds (trying to get control of them and skate or pass up ice)...lately, we've been steering those rebounds in to the corner, and taking our chances on winning the scrums down deep. I still see an occasional 'panic' decision down there in the corners, we took a crap-load of icing calls last weekend vs Tech, and we've got to win more faceoffs!

The Falcons are playing with a lot of confidence right now and (altho I know it was a LONG time ago) the fact BG has beaten the Mavs twice is a reminder that we CAN win.

Again, no bold predictions from this fan, other than expectations for an exciting game.
            You forgot the goal Cooper scored after the dump in hit the linesman in the balls.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
              You forgot the goal Cooper scored after the dump in hit the linesman in the balls.
              That one made me cringe, and yet happy all at the same time!

There have definitely been some odd ones this year.

Comment

The Mavericks will be headed East later tonight!
                AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                  The Mavericks will be headed East later tonight!
                  Hope they have a safe trip there! BG will be heading on on Wednesday!

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                    That must have been one of the games I missed If I had seen it that would have made the list for sure.
                    I'm a baseball umpire myself, and am still cringing over the base umpire that got drilled in the stones several days ago in a spring training game.

Comment

Sounds like everyone that was expected to make the trip did so. Thankfully, the Mavericks are relatively healthy right now.

I think a player to watch in this game is freshman Forward Michael Huntebrinker. His line has seen increased playing time, and he's improved with every game he's played. He's stepping into an increased role, and he's relishing in that opportunity; he's done a lot of very good little things that may go unnoticed by some.
                      AF 99

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        Sounds like everyone that was expected to make the trip did so. Thankfully, the Mavericks are relatively healthy right now.

I think a player to watch in this game is freshman Forward Michael Huntebrinker. His line has seen increased playing time, and he's improved with every game he's played. He's stepping into an increased role, and he's relishing in that opportunity; he's done a lot of very good little things that may go unnoticed by some.
                        Love what Huntebrinker and his 4th line have done this year. Getting significant and effective minutes out of them has helped get some rest for the scoring lines. The Free Press article on Gaede last week was some good recognition of the whole 4th line.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Love what Huntebrinker and his 4th line have done this year. Getting significant and effective minutes out of them has helped get some rest for the scoring lines. The Free Press article on Gaede last week was some good recognition of the whole 4th line.
                          Couldn't agree more. I'd be willing to bet that fourth line saw more minutes than the third last weekend. The team feeds off of the consistent physical play and energy those fourth liners create. The rest for those scoring lines is crucial, especially when those lines are used often on PP and PK.
                          AF 99

Comment

The wife and I are headed to GR tonight after work. Looking forward to a weekend away. Looking for a BG win tomorrow!

Comment

One. More. Day!
                              AF 99

Comment

BGSU Equipment ‏@BGSU_Equipment 2h
                                The boys are on the ice prepping for tomorrow's game vs. Minnesota St.-Mankato #FinalFive pic.twitter.com/S2WIL6orRb

Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Working...
                                X