Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2014 Inaugural NCHC Frozen Faceoff: This One's For All the Tostitos..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 2014 Inaugural NCHC Frozen Faceoff: This One's For All the Tostitos..

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Opinions will vary but I think there are plenty of viewing spots at the The Loop (not super close to TC though), Huberts, Kierens, The Depot, not sure about O'Donovan's, Lyon's Pub, Cowboy Jack's and I can't think of the name of the place near the end of the rail line - maybe Sneaky Pete's?
    I spent Saturday afternoon at O'Donovan's. It's a fun bar, and you can't beat the proximity to the TC. I'll probably be back this weekend. But if you're looking to watch basketball, I'd go somewhere else. It's a lot like the Liffey in St. Paul. More interest in Irish Whiskey and Guinness than basketball.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Go Broncos!
      Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Opinions will vary but I think there are plenty of viewing spots at the The Loop (not super close to TC though), Huberts, Kierens, The Depot, not sure about O'Donovan's, Lyon's Pub, Cowboy Jack's and I can't think of the name of the place near the end of the rail line - maybe Sneaky Pete's?
        Bar 508 is also good. What's The Loop? Or are you talking about The Loon?
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

I don't know why I'm offering advice to you silly NCHCers...

There are a ton of places to stay, and watch sports, around the Target Center. You aren't going to find the same concentration of hockey fans as you did in St. Paul, meaning you will most likely have to share space with the Bouncy Ball fans, but your options are numerous.
          The real benefit to the MPLS location is the proximity to other areas (Uptown, NE, UofMN Campus $10-$15 cab ride; and West End/Hwy394 $15-$25).

As already mentioned, there are a lot of hotels within walking distance, but they are pretty spendy. For some cheaper options downtown look into the Normandy and Hyatt PLACE. Both are about a mile from the rink; walkable, or a $5-7 cab ride. The Residence Inn Depot is a little further but still less than $10 cab fare and would be good to look at if you have a few people looking to share a room. Town Place Suites over in the North Loop may fit along those lines as well, but I'm not real sure about what their prices are.

A couple close-by but outside Downtown options are the Sheraton Midway, a $10-$12 cab ride away. Some of the more rural fans may be in for a bit of culture shock, but if you're just hoping in and out of the car you have nothing to worry about, and the hotel itself is just fine
          There is also the Ramada on Industrial Blvd. in NE MPLS/Roseville. Probably $15-$20 cab ride. And there are a few places out 394 that are a quick ride in/out of downtown but would run $20-$25 by cab.

Catching cabs anywhere downtown is no problem at all, they are all over. Outside of downtown you will probably need to ask your hotel to call for you. I'd suggest using Rainbow. Quality drivers who won't take advantage if you don't know the area, and always show up when or before they say they will.

Have fun in Minneapolis. It won't be the same in St. Paul without all you fugly Sioux fans loping about....
          Last edited by Stauber1; 03-18-2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
            Bar 508 is also good. What's The Loop? Or are you talking about The Loon?
            I didn't know about it either, but did a Google search to give you guys some ideas: http://theloopmpls.com/

I love the Loon btw, but don't think they have many TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              A couple close-by but outside Downtown options are the Sheraton Midway, a $10-$12 cab ride away. Some of the more rural fans may be in for a bit of culture shock, but if you're just hoping in and out of the car you have nothing to worry about, and the hotel itself is just fine
              Since the Sheraton Midway was torn down & replaced by a Target about 7 years ago I suspect you mean Sheraton Midtown.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

For cabs, I swear by Green And White (I think they also go by Suburban Taxi). Never a problem with them.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  I don't know why I'm offering advice to you silly NCHCers...

There are a ton of places to stay, and watch sports, around the Target Center. You aren't going to find the same concentration of hockey fans as you did in St. Paul, meaning you will most likely have to share space with the Bouncy Ball fans, but your options are numerous.
                  The real benefit to the MPLS location is the proximity to other areas (Uptown, NE, UofMN Campus $10-$15 cab ride; and West End/Hwy394 $15-$25).

As already mentioned, there are a lot of hotels within walking distance, but they are pretty spendy. For some cheaper options downtown look into the Normandy and Hyatt PLACE. Both are about a mile from the rink; walkable, or a $5-7 cab ride. The Residence Inn Depot is a little further but still less than $10 cab fare and would be good to look at if you have a few people looking to share a room. Town Place Suites over in the North Loop may fit along those lines as well, but I'm not real sure about what their prices are.

There is also the Ramada on Industrial Blvd. in NE MPLS/Roseville. Probably $15-$20 cab ride. And there are a few places out 394 that are a quick ride in/out of downtown but would run $20-$25 by cab.

Catching cabs anywhere downtown is no problem at all, they are all over. Outside of downtown you will probably need to ask your hotel to call for you. I'd suggest using Rainbow. Quality drivers who won't take advantage if you don't know the area, and always show up when or before they say they will.

Have fun in Minneapolis. It won't be the same in St. Paul without all you fugly Sioux fans loping about....
                  Also the Light Rail stop is about a block from Target Center and you can take it to Mall of America which has a bunch of hotels including a brand new Radisson Blu on the south side of the mall.

Don't forget to check Hotwire, Priceline, or Groupon. They often have good prices on 4-star hotels in Downtown Minneapolis.

The Loop Bar is pretty cool it's in the North Loop on Washington Avenue North. I want to say about the 500-block of Washington Avenue North. Other good places up there are the Smack Shack, Fulton Brewing, Be'Wiched Deli, Cuzzy's and Darby's. I've heard good things about Black Sheep Coal Fired Pizza and Bar La Grassa. The North Loop would be a bit of a hike, especially on a cold night.

Comment

Just pulled up the Priceline app found great prices Friday-Sunday.

Downtown:
                    Hilton $89 a night
                    Hyatt Regency $99
                    The Marquette $99
                    Doubletree $99

Or 4-star express deal downtown for $68.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                      Just pulled up the Priceline app found great prices Friday-Sunday.

Downtown:
                      Hilton $89 a night
                      Hyatt Regency $99
                      The Marquette $99
                      Doubletree $99

Or 4-star express deal downtown for $68.
                      The Marquette is great. If staying with a lady ask for a corner room overlooking Nicollet.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        I've guessed about 8000.. I figure 6000 Sioux fans or so, 2000 for the other 7 schools.
                        During the DU/UNO series this past weekend, I saw a few DU jerseys on Thursday night and NONE on Friday or Saturday.

Not a single one. It was so evident, I started looking for them, even.

Comment

There are tons of places, but not good for watching a hockey or basketball game.. I will be at sneaky Pete's Friday afternoon after work with some friends. Smalley's is actually one of the better places downtown to watch a game.
                          Last edited by scsutommyboy; 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM.
                          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            There are tons of places, but not good for watching a hockey or basketball game.. I will be at sneaky Pete's Friday afternoon after work with some friends. Smalley's is actually one of the better places downtown to watch a game.
                            If it's not packed all to hell. For the F4 after the Twins game, it was unbearable. Couldn't move at all. Trrrrble.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                              Since the Sheraton Midway was torn down & replaced by a Target about 7 years ago I suspect you mean Sheraton Midtown.
                              You are correct, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                If it's not packed all to hell. For the F4 after the Twins game, it was unbearable. Couldn't move at all. Trrrrble.
                                Yeah I've been to Smalley's once and it was wall-to-wall humanity. It sucked.
                                St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X