Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#6 Boston College at #3 Clarkson -- 2014 NCAA Quarterfinal: Eagles Invade PotsVegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #6 Boston College at #3 Clarkson -- 2014 NCAA Quarterfinal: Eagles Invade PotsVegas

So is there like an actual town or any other sign of civilization up there or what?
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: #6 Boston College at #3 Clarkson -- 2014 NCAA Quarterfinal: Eagles Invade PotsVeg

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    So is there like an actual town or any other sign of civilization up there or what?
    There is lots of snow. Looks pretty.

Comment

Re: #6 Boston College at #3 Clarkson -- 2014 NCAA Quarterfinal: Eagles Invade PotsVeg

I'm pretty excited for this game. All year I've suspected Clarkson is probably the second best team in the country. Both BC and Clarkson are coming off rather disappointing losses in the conference final and will be looking to atone, so I expect both to bring their best games.

BC is definitely the underdog, but if they can get their offense cranking at the level we've seen it hit from time to time they have a very good chance of coming out with a win.

As for the travel aspect... yes, I'm oddly looking forward to this journey and would love to know if anyone has a suggestion on where to go for lunch or dinner either before or after the game. From my cursory Wikipedia and TripAdvisor search I've determined that Potsdam has a pretty beautiful-looking "village" downtown, and is famous for its sandstone. Beyond that, I haven't found much. Ideas?
      BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
      -
      Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
        I'm pretty excited for this game. All year I've suspected Clarkson is probably the second best team in the country. Both BC and Clarkson are coming off rather disappointing losses in the conference final and will be looking to atone, so I expect both to bring their best games.

BC is definitely the underdog, but if they can get their offense cranking at the level we've seen it hit from time to time they have a very good chance of coming out with a win.

As for the travel aspect... yes, I'm oddly looking forward to this journey and would love to know if anyone has a suggestion on where to go for lunch or dinner either before or after the game. From my cursory Wikipedia and TripAdvisor search I've determined that Potsdam has a pretty beautiful-looking "village" downtown, and is famous for its sandstone. Beyond that, I haven't found much. Ideas?
        Regarding game... Clarkson's best defenseman, and Kazmaier top 10 finalist did not play vs. Cornell. She is a difference maker and her potential absence due to injury will make this a close game.

Regarding Potsdam... there is very little there. Get in and get out is my best recommendation. I guess I would recommend "Between the Buns" for gourmet burgers and beer (also have wings, other specialty sandwiches). A quieter choice is Mama Lucia's... Italian restaurant. Neither will blow you away, but probably best of the bunch.

Comment

Probably depends what you are looking for. Where is the long ago "Hux" "Fine Dining Near Each Campus" thread when you need it.

Try this for options: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant..._New_York.html

Potsdam is fairly small, downtown close to the Campus.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
            I guess I would recommend "Between the Buns" for gourmet burgers and beer (also have wings, other specialty sandwiches).
            How are the wings? This is probably the most important question you will ever be asked.

Comment

I can give you a few ideas for Potsdam, though I'll admit my information is a bit dated. I haven't been up there in a year or so and when I go up, I usually stay at my fraternity house and bore the kids with stories from 20 years ago.

Dining:

Eben's Hearth - a small American restaurant located on Route 11, directly opposite the University entrance. They have some pretty decent American fare and my parents always loved going there for breakfast. They have a bar with a "big beer" special on Saturdays, although the bar isn't the focus of their business. You can get just about anything there, it's decent and homemade.

Maxfields - an American restaurant/bar that is about as upscale as Potsdam gets but you can still walk in there in jeans. It's located near on Market Street in the Village. I'd say their food is a step below Eben's but a bit more expensive. They have a more expansive bar and if you visit later in the evening, it's going to be a bar only and no food. Given the 4pm start, it will probably still be a decent atmosphere after the game for a couple of hours.

McDuffs - if you're going for wings, this is the place to go, located on Market Street. They are a college bar all the way but, again, earlier in the day they have a restaurant atmosphere. Their food is cheaper and greasy but the wings are the best in town. I'm a little partial because I worked there as an undergrad and spent most of my disposable income there. If you're there after say 8pm, you're going to have a crowd of college drunks, so it won't be a place for the family.

The Cantina - pretty good Mexican fare for a place only a few miles from the Canadian border. They're tucked in the back of the Village near the Police Department. I'm not a big Mexican fan but they get pretty good reviews. Again, depending on the night, The Cantina tends to turn to more of a college type atmosphere as it gets later but the restaurant section is still good.

Between the Buns - I've never been to this place but they advertise all the time during Clarkson games. It's a fairly new place specializing in homemade American fare.

The Arena:

The Cheel Arena is part of the Cheel Campus Center which was the social hub of the University when it was built. If you're looking for a quick bite to eat, they have a "one step above fast food" dining area where you can get just about anything cafeteria style. Additionally, there is a bar in the Campus Center called Club 99 that has your basic beer and wine at excellent prices. One neat amenity that they have there is that they have a clock wired to the arena clock, so if you choose to step out of the arena for a brew between periods, you know exactly how much time you have to get back to your seat. Even at sold out games, I've been able to run out, have 2 beers, and return before the next period.

Cheel is a nice modern arena built which opened in 1991 (against BC, for you historians). It seats 3000 and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Assuming the game will have lots of empty seats, take a walk around the top of the arena between periods and you can see a lot of Clarkson hockey history, including some which crosses over with BC on the men's side. The atmosphere probably won't be too great, especially since the students will be on break. Coincidentally, it's a lot like the TD Center in Hamden, so you'll get a good feel for what the FF will be like the following weekend, at least from an arena perspective.

Lodging:

The Clarkson Inn is the "crown jewel" of lodging right in the village. It is run/owned by the school and it was built to mimic an old style city hotel. For my dollar, it costs way too much for someplace that I'm going to sleep and shower. If you're into economical and clean, I'd suggest Smallings Motel. It's located on Route 11, just west of the village. It's a typical motel with no amenities but it is clean, last time I stayed there it was only $60 a night, and the motel is owned by the Cheel Arena Director Scott Smalling. Some of the other motels are really, really, really, seedy (like the Northwood) and I'd avoid them at all costs unless you bring an exterminator with you.
              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
              7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                I can give you a few ideas for Potsdam, though I'll admit my information is a bit dated. I haven't been up there in a year or so and when I go up, I usually stay at my fraternity house and bore the kids with stories from 20 years ago.

Dining:

Eben's Hearth - a small American restaurant located on Route 11, directly opposite the University entrance. They have some pretty decent American fare and my parents always loved going there for breakfast. They have a bar with a "big beer" special on Saturdays, although the bar isn't the focus of their business. You can get just about anything there, it's decent and homemade.

Maxfields - an American restaurant/bar that is about as upscale as Potsdam gets but you can still walk in there in jeans. It's located near on Market Street in the Village. I'd say their food is a step below Eben's but a bit more expensive. They have a more expansive bar and if you visit later in the evening, it's going to be a bar only and no food. Given the 4pm start, it will probably still be a decent atmosphere after the game for a couple of hours.

McDuffs - if you're going for wings, this is the place to go, located on Market Street. They are a college bar all the way but, again, earlier in the day they have a restaurant atmosphere. Their food is cheaper and greasy but the wings are the best in town. I'm a little partial because I worked there as an undergrad and spent most of my disposable income there. If you're there after say 8pm, you're going to have a crowd of college drunks, so it won't be a place for the family.

The Cantina - pretty good Mexican fare for a place only a few miles from the Canadian border. They're tucked in the back of the Village near the Police Department. I'm not a big Mexican fan but they get pretty good reviews. Again, depending on the night, The Cantina tends to turn to more of a college type atmosphere as it gets later but the restaurant section is still good.

Between the Buns - I've never been to this place but they advertise all the time during Clarkson games. It's a fairly new place specializing in homemade American fare.

The Arena:

The Cheel Arena is part of the Cheel Campus Center which was the social hub of the University when it was built. If you're looking for a quick bite to eat, they have a "one step above fast food" dining area where you can get just about anything cafeteria style. Additionally, there is a bar in the Campus Center called Club 99 that has your basic beer and wine at excellent prices. One neat amenity that they have there is that they have a clock wired to the arena clock, so if you choose to step out of the arena for a brew between periods, you know exactly how much time you have to get back to your seat. Even at sold out games, I've been able to run out, have 2 beers, and return before the next period.

Cheel is a nice modern arena built which opened in 1991 (against BC, for you historians). It seats 3000 and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Assuming the game will have lots of empty seats, take a walk around the top of the arena between periods and you can see a lot of Clarkson hockey history, including some which crosses over with BC on the men's side. The atmosphere probably won't be too great, especially since the students will be on break. Coincidentally, it's a lot like the TD Center in Hamden, so you'll get a good feel for what the FF will be like the following weekend, at least from an arena perspective.

Lodging:

The Clarkson Inn is the "crown jewel" of lodging right in the village. It is run/owned by the school and it was built to mimic an old style city hotel. For my dollar, it costs way too much for someplace that I'm going to sleep and shower. If you're into economical and clean, I'd suggest Smallings Motel. It's located on Route 11, just west of the village. It's a typical motel with no amenities but it is clean, last time I stayed there it was only $60 a night, and the motel is owned by the Cheel Arena Director Scott Smalling. Some of the other motels are really, really, really, seedy (like the Northwood) and I'd avoid them at all costs unless you bring an exterminator with you.
                This is all excellent. Thank you for sharing. I'm excited for the trip.

Grant and I went to a Clarkson-SLU men's game back in our student days, rooting for Clarkson, due to our shared hockey history in the form of Mr. Jerry York. Fun times.
                -

Comment

This is all excellent. Thank you for sharing. I'm excited for the trip.

Grant and I went to a Clarkson-SLU men's game back in our student days, rooting for Clarkson, due to our shared hockey history in the form of Mr. Jerry York. Fun times.
                  It's lost a little bit of its atmosphere in recent years but Clarkson-SLU is still the best rivalry game in all of sports that I've been to and that includes Army-Navy and Yankees-Red Sox. It amazed me that two towns literally shut down for the games and the rivalry that exists. The underperformance of both men's teams of late as well as the struggling economy up in the North Country has really put a damper on things. I've never been to a BC/BU game, but I have been but I used to go up there every other Thanksgiving when we CCT/SLU and BC/BU played alternating home series every year. I can't imagine the atmosphere at Conte comparing to Cheel or Appleton, although I could see it at BU's old arena.

The village itself is really a step back in time to a lot of the old mom-and-pop stores that were small town America before WalMart and box stores took over the planet. The townsfolk are friendly, even if they speak with a distinct Canadian accent. Although Potsdam itself is a bit of a cultural center of the North Country, if you drive a half mile or so outside of town, you'll see the effects of the struggling economy. I always try to support the local businesses while I'm there, especially because the campuses, Clarkson in particular, have really hurt them in recent years by trying to become a resource for everything the student needs.

Clarkson and BC certainly share some legacy together both with Coaches Ceglarski and York. I lost a lot of respect for Coach York though the last time I was in Potsdam for a CCT/BC game. The game was supposed to be a celebration as Clarkson was dedicating the Len Ceglarski Coaching Chair, which is an endowment that pays for the CCT head coach position. They recognized both Len and Coach York in a ceremony prior to the game and they were expected to speak at the post-game hockey supporter meeting upstairs in the arena's Barben Rooms. Our players and coaches attend these post-game events every weekend just to make an appearance, thank the alumni and supporters, etc. etc. Coach York, after losing the game, didn't come up for his appearance and recognition, citing some lame excuse.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

McDuffs - if you're going for wings, this is the place to go
                    I love you.
                    Coincidentally, it's a lot like the TD Center in Hamden, so you'll get a good feel for what the FF will be like the following weekend, at least from an arena perspective.
                    Oh nice. Q's arena is one of my favorites.

I lost a lot of respect for Coach York though the last time I was in Potsdam for a CCT/BC game ... Coach York, after losing the game, didn't come up for his appearance and recognition, citing some lame excuse.
                    I doubt the fact that BC lost had anything to do with it, honestly.

But hey, I understand being upset. The dude's a rock star.

Comment

I doubt the fact that BC lost had anything to do with it, honestly.

But hey, I understand being upset. The dude's a rock star.
                      It probably didn't. It's a long bus ride back to Boston. I actually love listening to the stories about Coach York back before his rock star days. One of our alumni that posts on our CCT Hockey forum quite a bit was involved with the team as a student assistant of some sort when York took over. It's amazing to listen to the stories of how this overmatched kid that took over the reigns of a storied program at CCT grew into one of the most decorated college coaches in college, not just in hockey.

And as far as wings go, we used to have 10 cent wing specials during happy hour on Fridays when I worked at McDuffs in the mid-1990's and I had many an experience with them. The prices have increased but the wings are still good and now they have choices, where we used to just have mild, hot, and fire. I think they have 8 or 9 flavors now and regular and boneless wings. Not a bad selection for a small town college bar.

Undefeated - 1956

Comment

Lots of Horse and Buggies and places where you can buy Amish baskets. Kind of makes you think you're time travelling.

Comment

And as far as wings go, we used to have 10 cent wing specials during happy hour on Fridays when I worked at McDuffs in the mid-1990's and I had many an experience with them. The prices have increased but the wings are still good and now they have choices, where we used to just have mild, hot, and fire. I think they have 8 or 9 flavors now and regular and boneless wings. Not a bad selection for a small town college bar.
                          I think I know where Mr. The Tiger is going to want to go now.

Since it's his car we're going wherever he wants.

Will you be at the game? Would love to buy you a beer for sharing your North Country expertise. (That goes for OnMAA too.)
                          -

Comment

Oh here's a question worth asking -- does Clarkson charge for tickets?

Comment

The village itself is really a step back in time to a lot of the old mom-and-pop stores that were small town America before WalMart and box stores took over the planet. The townsfolk are friendly, even if they speak with a distinct Canadian accent.
                              They do??? Really? I've Never noticed any accent haha

Comment

Working...
                              X