X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by realet View Post
    The frustration certainly is mounting, and this year it may not have been so much the "different year, same result" factor as much as the manner in which the team bowed out this year despite those past results. At some point only so much can really be forgiven, when that point is being so tantalizingly close to getting over the hump and then falling back to previous form, it really enhances the frustration beyond what it might have been otherwise.

For those that were listening last night I tried my very best to be evenhanded in my post-game analysis and I bit my tongue on the word that I really wanted to use - I think I did, anyway, I was pretty tired, but the word was gutless.

Appert is not going anywhere this offseason and calling for his head is pointless. He's not going to be let go right after signing an extension that has him on the payroll through the end of the decade. But the leash is getting shorter and the alumni/fanbase mood is souring quickly. Something is going to have to change soon because what we saw last night left a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. That's the kind of result, coupled with results in the recent past, that starts people not renewing season tickets and drifting away from the program.
    Gutless is ok. Nothing wrong with calling it as you see it, IMHO. It's good radio. And I don't think you'd get any disagreement from anyone who saw that game. When you blow a 3rd-period lead to a team that was winless all season when trailing after two, any number of words can come to mind. Problem is, most of those words violate FCC rules and can't be said on-air. IMHO the entire WRPI crew does a terrific job, game in, game out. Keep up the good work.

A lot has already been said but I will try to add a couple of observations. We've heard a lot about failure to adjust between periods, etc. but my bigger concern is that this team seems to have some chronic problems that span multiple seasons. For example PP has been, with one or two exceptions, lackluster for years. 16 percent for this season. 20 percent last season was a bright spot. But 14.8 percent in 11-12; 18 percent in 10-11, 18 percent in 09-10, and 8.7 in 08-09. How many more GF if the PP clicked in the low 20s percent? PP was 2/15 this weekend. And others have pointed out lack of momentum, failure to compete for full 60 mins, inability to win big games, domination by certain opponents... My question is why these problems never really seem to go away, season after season?

Looking ahead, I would like to know for certain what the expectations are for this team. In his first few years SA liked to take the team to TU Center to see the ECAC semis and finals, to set a benchmark. What are the team/program goals now? Yes, play the Engineer way. But what about more tangible goals? Top four finish and first round bye? League championship? NCAA berth? Or is it about the volunteer cleanup at Prospect Park and high team GPA? I'd like to think we can have all of the above. But I'd like to hear coach more clearly state where he wants this team to go.

I think SA has the potential to be a very good coach but right now his system and style don't seem to be working well, or at least well enough for what most fans expect of this program. Step one may be rethinking the "it's gotta start with the guys in that room" approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      Final though is you don't want Adam Oates as your coach. He is one weird dude and I don't think he is the guy that could pull in recruits with his charisma. I might take a hard look at someone like PJ Flanagan who was a long time men's assistant, then Women's coach at SLU and now women's coach at Syracuse.
      OK. So a hall of famer comes recruiting and you say no. One of the best face-off men in the history of the game, a noted power play guru and one of the top few setup guys of all time comes recruiting and you are not going to be inerested? The guy who turned Ovechkin back into a Hart trophy winner (though couldn't convince him to play defense). Nah.. I don't want my kid playing for him.

On top of that... assistants recruit. The coach closes the deal.

While I'm sure there are many good reasons why it won't happen. "He is weird" is not one of them.

Comment

And to add to the drivel, Happy Birthday JCrawford!

Comment

Appert never had a chance in the third game. Gaudet is a great coach with limited support from the college, but his players love him. They would skate through a brick wall for him. There are two kinds of coaches. Ones that do well intimidating and bulling players or others that warm up (fatherly) both can win. But a phony always looses. When Seth came in he was full of false hope and promises. Wake up!!!! This guy is full of himself.
          Look at Fridgen's records with no support from Jaxxxson. Throw those years out and it looks sooo much better. Check out his honor students!
          Dan played in the NHL. Nucklehead played 3rd string goalie at a D1 school. Who vetted him? If he is there next year..................our great coach. What a joke
          George Low would have fired this guy years ago. He cared and he demanded results not lip service. Shirley just doesn't give a poop.
          Last edited by Beman; 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Appert may use hit timeouts in first period next season. Maybe use 5 d men on 2nd pp unit. Maye the assitant coaches need to go.
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

I do not feel like doing the research. Does anyone know why there is only 1 timeout allowed in hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                A lot has already been said but I will try to add a couple of observations. We've heard a lot about failure to adjust between periods, etc. but my bigger concern is that this team seems to have some chronic problems that span multiple seasons. For example PP has been, with one or two exceptions, lackluster for years. 16 percent for this season. 20 percent last season was a bright spot. But 14.8 percent in 11-12; 18 percent in 10-11, 18 percent in 09-10, and 8.7 in 08-09. How many more GF if the PP clicked in the low 20s percent? PP was 2/15 this weekend. And others have pointed out lack of momentum, failure to compete for full 60 mins, inability to win big games, domination by certain opponents... My question is why these problems never really seem to go away, season after season?
                I'll add the obvious observation that the problems remain while our student-athletes come and go. I can think of only one thing that's consistent.

Originally posted by vicious View Post
                Looking ahead, I would like to know for certain what the expectations are for this team. In his first few years SA liked to take the team to TU Center to see the ECAC semis and finals, to set a benchmark. What are the team/program goals now? Yes, play the Engineer way. But what about more tangible goals? Top four finish and first round bye? League championship? NCAA berth? Or is it about the volunteer cleanup at Prospect Park and high team GPA? I'd like to think we can have all of the above. But I'd like to hear coach more clearly state where he wants this team to go.
                That was my earlier comment: it all gets back to the goals and objectives of the program. It seems to me that defining those goals and objectives is the role of the AD and it's left to the coach to realize/implement them. It would be interesting to hear some thoughts from our AD. For all we know, the coach might be performing exactly as he's expected to, and hence the lengthy contract extension.
                Let's give a cheer for old Rensselaer... You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the beer!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  I would be interested to know just how many players now can successfully simply show up with no previous contact/recruiting efforts and make a D1 team. I guess the only real possibility is if their heart is set on a specific school and they turn down offers elsewhere. Still seems it would be quite rare for that to happen.
                  Goalie @ SLU (who eventually became the starter). Darn if I can recall his name.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                    There are two kinds of coaches. Ones that do well intimidating and bulling players or others that warm up (fatherly) both can win.
                    An average coach has mastered one of those two approaches. The best coaches can switch between the fatherly approach and the intimidation approach depending on what the situation calls for.
                    Let's give a cheer for old Rensselaer... You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the beer!

Comment

• Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      South Bend to open (after exh.game)?
                      Homecoming will be the second weekend in October this year. I would expect that RPI will make an effort to schedule a home game for that weekend.

If they play an exhibition on Oct. 4, I would be surprised if RPI scheduled a game in South Bend (or anywhere other than Troy) the next weekend.

Of course, there is no rule that you have to play an exhibition on the very first day that the rules allow it. They could conceivably play the exhibition on Oct. 11 and go to South Bend the following weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Goalie @ SLU (who eventually became the starter). Darn if I can recall his name.
                        Heffler?
                        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                          OK. So a hall of famer comes recruiting and you say no. One of the best face-off men in the history of the game, a noted power play guru and one of the top few setup guys of all time comes recruiting and you are not going to be inerested? The guy who turned Ovechkin back into a Hart trophy winner (though couldn't convince him to play defense). Nah.. I don't want my kid playing for him.

On top of that... assistants recruit. The coach closes the deal.

While I'm sure there are many good reasons why it won't happen. "He is weird" is not one of them.
                          Okay, what do I know? My comments were based on talking to several guys who played with him the pros that said he was a total freak and socially out to lunch. If you can get him, go for it. I'd personally stick with Appert before I'd go after him. Maybe you should go after a guy like Mike McKenzie who is coaching in the OHL at the moment and is about as well connected through his dad as anyone in Canada.
                          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Yearwood?
                            Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                              Okay, what do I know? My comments were based on talking to several guys who played with him the pros that said he was a total freak and socially out to lunch. If you can get him, go for it. I'd personally stick with Appert before I'd go after him. Maybe you should go after a guy like Mike McKenzie who is coaching in the OHL at the moment and is about as well connected through his dad as anyone in Canada.
                              So either your friends are right or the Tampa Bay Lightening and Washington Capitals front offices who both hired him are. I know that I've met him and he didn't seem like a nut job to me. And considering some of the guys he used to hang out with (Pat Lafontaine for one) I find it hard to believe he is some sort of social freak.

Enough though - I was just throwing the idea out there for the fun of it. I doubt he would be available. If we can get Bob and Doug's lesser known brother to coach us then I'm all in. Even moreso if he uses the same tailor as Grapes. The suits alone would allow me to overlook a poor PP.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI_2003 View Post
                                An average coach has mastered one of those two approaches. The best coaches can switch between the fatherly approach and the intimidation approach depending on what the situation calls for.
                                Just fire Seth. There is no argument that makes sense to keep him
                                . He is a looser

Comment

Working...
                                X