PDA

View Full Version : RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

RPI-66
04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Here are the numbers for Appert after 8 full seasons. 114-152-37. I know Fridge was liked and disliked just like Appert now. Dan's numbers for his 1st 8 full seasons of coaching were 159-113-25. During those 8 seasons he had his teams at Lake Placid 5 of the 8 seasons with 1 championship over Princeton and I believe a 2-0 championship loss to St. Lawrence. Lets see how the next 4 years play out that is if Appert coaches 12 full seasons as Fridge did. If he does get the 4 years he needs 24 wins a year to catch Fridge in total wins. Miracles do happen, we all remember 1980. I am new to the board so I hope i got off on the right foot or should I say skate !!!!!!!!!

engineerhockeyfan
04-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Here are the numbers for Appert after 8 full seasons. 114-152-37. I know Fridge was liked and disliked just like Appert now. Dan's numbers for his 1st 8 full seasons of coaching were 159-113-25. During those 8 seasons he had his teams at Lake Placid 5 of the 8 seasons with 1 championship over Princeton and I believe a 2-0 championship loss to St. Lawrence. Lets see how the next 4 years play out that is if Appert coaches 12 full seasons as Fridge did. If he does get the 4 years he needs 24 wins a year to catch Fridge in total wins. Miracles do happen, we all remember 1980. I am new to the board so I hope i got off on the right foot or should I say skate !!!!!!!!!

I think you are on the right track. Fridgen took over an outstanding team, and had some very good players in his first eight years, including one of the best college goalies I have ever seen.
What I would like to know, is what was his record for the last four years he served as coach. The talent faded and the team was not very good.
I don't think that it is fair to compare the two coaches first four seasons, as they took over very different teams. I think that Appert brought the team back from the depths, but he has certainly not gotten the best out of the talent that he has brought in. JMO

Welcome to the thread.

RPI-66
04-19-2014, 03:06 PM
I think you are on the right track. Fridgen took over an outstanding team, and had some very good players in his first eight years, including one of the best college goalies I have ever seen.
What I would like to know, is what was his record for the last four years he served as coach. The talent faded and the team was not very good.
I don't think that it is fair to compare the two coaches first four seasons, as they took over very different teams. I think that Appert brought the team back from the depths, but he has certainly not gotten the best out of the talent that he has brought in. JMO

Welcome to the thread.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. Have to agree with you that anytime a new coach comes in to a school it does take time recruiting wise to build the type of team you want. The record for Dan's last 4 years was 62-79-13. In his last 2 seasons he had records of 14-22-2 and 14-17-6. You have to remember though that those last 2 years were trying times for the hockey program. Dan lost many potential recruits who chose other schools because of that proposition crap where the NCAA wanted to take Div. III schools like RPI, Colorado, St. Lawrence, and Clarkson who played up at Div.1 and make them all Div. III. This was a long drawn out process but finally on 1-12-04 proposition 65.1 was passed grandfathering in RPI and the other schools. Maybe Fridge would of had a better record in his last 2 seasons of coaching had all this did not take place. Then again I am just not sure if Jackson & Ralph just wanted to start fresh with a new coach.

Jasma
04-19-2014, 03:34 PM
According to who........you? Maybe you should join Shirley and Eddie on their concert tour. Sounds like you listen to the same drum beat!! :)

You make wild statements and accusations, then refuse to support them with any evidence or first- hand information. All rant, no credibility.

Ralph Baer
04-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the friendly welcome. Have to agree with you that anytime a new coach comes in to a school it does take time recruiting wise to build the type of team you want. The record for Dan's last 4 years was 62-79-13. In his last 2 seasons he had records of 14-22-2 and 14-17-6. You have to remember though that those last 2 years were trying times for the hockey program. Dan lost many potential recruits who chose other schools because of that proposition crap where the NCAA wanted to take Div. III schools like RPI, Colorado, St. Lawrence, and Clarkson who played up at Div.1 and make them all Div. III. This was a long drawn out process but finally on 1-12-04 proposition 65.1 was passed grandfathering in RPI and the other schools. Maybe Fridge would of had a better record in his last 2 seasons of coaching had all this did not take place. Then again I am just not sure if Jackson & Ralph just wanted to start fresh with a new coach.

Welcome on board from me too. Fridgen certainly lost recruits due to the uncertainty of our ability to continue offering athletic scholarships, but this continued after that had passed and only got worse as far as I recall.

Ralph Baer
04-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Today is 20 April 2014. There are 167 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Today is 21 April 2014. There are 166 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

engineerhockeyfan
04-21-2014, 08:08 AM

In thinking about the Fridgen/Appert debate, I have come to the conclusion that these are two people cut from the same cloth.
You have two very admirable people who bought in to the scholar athlete. Both have given us athletes that have excelled in the classroom. Both are very community minded and keep the whole program involved in the capitol region. Both seem to be fine human beings. And both seemed to come up short as in game coaches.
Fridgen had some great teams that lost to teams with much less talent over the course of his tenure at RPI. Appert has given us some of the most challenging schedules in school history, and while he has done fairly well against the toughest competition, he too has come up short against the weaker teams.
Appert has brought in more talent, and has lost that talent before they had a chance to develop at RPI.
I really don't think that there is much difference between the two.
Unless we can get Appert to adjust his program or get his current players to buy into his program, we will continue to be in the middle of the pack
As much as I love what he has done for the program off the ice, he needs to improve on the ice.

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 08:39 AM
In order to keep my sanity, I did not read any Union threads since prior to the FF. I now have caught up. If what I read about Rick Bennett is true, my opinion of him as a person has gone down.

jericho
04-21-2014, 09:21 AM
In order to keep my sanity, I did not read any Union threads since prior to the FF. I now have caught up. If what I read about Rick Bennett is true, my opinion of him as a person has gone down.

Care to elaborate?

UnionHockeyManiac
04-21-2014, 09:29 AM

http://unionathletics.com/news/2014/3/13/MICE_0313144406.aspx

??

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Care to elaborate?

No. Not at this time. :D

I should add that on the other hand my opinion of Mat Bodie has greatly improved. I think that his part was a spur of the moment act which he now regrets, and he has served his time.

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 09:52 AM
http://unionathletics.com/news/2014/3/13/MICE_0313144406.aspx

??

Yes, I saw that.

jericho
04-21-2014, 10:28 AM
No. Not at this time. :D

I should add that on the other hand my opinion of Mat Bodie has greatly improved. I think that his part was a spur of the moment act which he now regrets, and he has served his time.

Yes, absolutely. After listening to Bodie in the media, he is very much a down to earth kid. It's easy for us to pick apart what happened with the benefit of slow motion replays and videos, but no doubt in the heat of the moment it was a mistake with consequences he took in stride. Now, that Gostisbehere kid, on the other hand ;)....Calm down, Union "fans", don't get your garnet panties in a bunch, I think Gostisbehere is a great player and individual. Too bad he had to ruin it by going to the Flyers.

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Yes, absolutely. After listening to Bodie in the media, he is very much a down to earth kid. It's easy for us to pick apart what happened with the benefit of slow motion replays and videos, but no doubt in the heat of the moment it was a mistake with consequences he took in stride. Now, that Gostisbehere kid, on the other hand ;)....Calm down, Union "fans", don't get your garnet panties in a bunch, I think Gostisbehere is a great player and individual. Too bad he had to ruin it by going to the Flyers.

And it doesn't hurt that Bodie signed with the Rangers. :D

Waite21
04-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Ralph, I thought your previous opinion of Bennett was that he was the no-goodest, low-downest, rottenest, stinkingest varmint that ever walked on two legs.

And your opinion of him has gone down from that? :eek:

engineerhockeyfan
04-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Ralph, I would never read the Union thread (I just don't care), but I must ask, is this adjustment of your opinion based on Bennett's own comments, or comments made about him on the thread?

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Ralph, I would never read the Union thread (I just don't care), but I must ask, is this adjustment of your opinion based on Bennett's own comments, or comments made about him on the thread?

A comment attributed to him. I don't know if he actually made it. :)

Ralph Baer
04-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Ralph, I thought your previous opinion of Bennett was that he was the no-goodest, low-downest, rottenest, stinkingest varmint that ever walked on two legs.

And your opinion of him has gone down from that? :eek:

Hard to believe, isn't it? (Are you sure that he walks on two legs? :D )

jericho
04-21-2014, 01:09 PM
A comment attributed to him. I don't know if he actually made it. :)

You know my email. Ralph. Enough with the secrets.