This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

I think a cooling down period is in order before making any new declarations on OGR (Our Good Recruiter) which is more ad more how I've come to view SA over the past few seasons. I stopped expecting a trip to LP after the SLU/Clarkson weekend when we decided to play less than 20 players instead of sit one of the Union game suspendees out the entire weekend and then got smoked on Friday night. And I didn't go to Providence for the Brown game this year because I just couldn't justify the 90 minute ride to see another night of Jeckyl and Hyde. I'm not sure the verdict is in on SA however the judge just came in from his chambers and I think I hear the Jury lining up outside the door.

Seth was a goalie. Patrick Roy aside, I can't name many ex-goalies that made great coaches. All those years in hockey learning skills and strategies that for the most part do not apply at all to the other 18 skaters on the ice. Forwards with good defensive skills and defensemen usually work out better. How much longer will it be until OVIE frees up Adam Oates for us? Can we all suffer through mediocrity that much longer?

Comment

Doc,

I hope whatever you are dealing with works out for you. You are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to read this board. Good health to you and your family.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
        Doc,

I hope whatever you are dealing with works out for you. You are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to read this board. Good health to you and your family.
        Yes, all the best DrD as I have said in recent emails. You do provide a lot of insight here. It's too bad that RPI hockey ahs not been pleasant escapism recently, and that other school that you have listed in Boston had a very poor year also.

BTW, I doubt that we can afford Oates. I would hope that SA gives Kirk MacD some freehand with the offense as I would think that he would be good at this, however I suspect that he hasn't.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
          I am in agreement that maybe Appert isn't the best fit for this program. We've had too much inconsistency during games and if you look at the overall performance season after season (finishing #2 last season to fall on home ice yet again, falling to the #12 seed on home ice, finishing 10th one season and then #2 the next season... seems to just be a pattern of wild swings), but my question to the bigger naysayers than I is: say Appert is actually ousted. Who is available to take his place that we think can do a better job? I'm legitimately asking this question because I do not really know what the answer is. I also refuse to put it all entirely on him because there's only so much a coach can do, but I'm also certain his coaching is a factor in our inconsistency.

More specific thought: why, why, WHY, WHY! do we have five forwards on the power play, all the time? It hurts us more than it helps us, as evidenced by the fact that Haggerty had no idea what to do when the puck came to him at the blue line tonight, and then the ensuing 2-on-0 SHG for Dartmouth. The only time five forwards should be out on the ice on the man advantage is when the team has a 2-man advantage.
          I hear George Gwozdecky's available.
          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            I hear George Gwozdecky's available.
            Remember that he taught SA all that he knows.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The frustration certainly is mounting, and this year it may not have been so much the "different year, same result" factor as much as the manner in which the team bowed out this year despite those past results. At some point only so much can really be forgiven, when that point is being so tantalizingly close to getting over the hump and then falling back to previous form, it really enhances the frustration beyond what it might have been otherwise.

For those that were listening last night I tried my very best to be evenhanded in my post-game analysis and I bit my tongue on the word that I really wanted to use - I think I did, anyway, I was pretty tired, but the word was gutless.

Appert is not going anywhere this offseason and calling for his head is pointless. He's not going to be let go right after signing an extension that has him on the payroll through the end of the decade. But the leash is getting shorter and the alumni/fanbase mood is souring quickly. Something is going to have to change soon because what we saw last night left a very bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. That's the kind of result, coupled with results in the recent past, that starts people not renewing season tickets and drifting away from the program.
              Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Remember that he taught SA all that he knows.
                There is a friend of the family, who has since passed away, that always said: "I taught him everything he knows, but not everything that I know."
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

The RPI hockey program is on a decade long downward spiral. On ice performance, overall game entertainment value and relevance in college hockey are all in pretty rough shape. The ECAC tournament has left Lake Placid, moved to Albany, left Albany and moved to Atlantic City and now back to Lake Placid all without 1 appearence from RPI. Since RPI has made it, every ECAC team has made it at least TWICE!

Now to last night. Its easy to Monday morning quarterback but the way they came out for the 3rd period was obvious in the first 90 seconds. Content to dump out of the zone and let Dartmouth dictate the pace. Not what I expected after a late 2nd period goal gave all of the momentum to RPI. Unexcusable. The use of the timeout. I don't agree with using a timeout that early unless your team is spiraling out of control. To use it with a one goal lead in the 2nd period to discuss a brief 5 on 3 is a waste. We said it at the time it was happening and sure enough it came back to bite them. That team needed to be settled down as soon as it became 4-3. Enough has been said about the 5 forward PP so I will not repeat.

Solutions. On ice performance, I don't know. Next years class doesn't look all that impressive, on paper. We will see. This years freshman class is the poorest I have ever seen. Not sure if any of the powers at RPI really even care that this school was once a national power. I don't know if they care that they are losing fans. After last night, I belive the combination of years of frustration and high expectation for this season will cost them more fans. Matter of fact, it already has. Game experience. Get students involved. Get the band away from the corner and back on the stage where they belong. Concessions could be better but not a big deal. I guess winning might breed a better environment.

Comment

Seth was a goalie. Patrick Roy aside, I can't name many ex-goalies that made great coaches. All those years in hockey learning skills and strategies that for the most part do not apply at all to the other 18 skaters on the ice. Forwards with good defensive skills and defensemen usually work out better. How much longer will it be until OVIE frees up Adam Oates for us? Can we all suffer through mediocrity that much longer?[/QUOTE]

sean walsh

Comment

Statement by AspyDad –

While this is a terrible loss for the Cherry and White, the sun will rise again. For anyone to compare tenure of coaches is apple and oranges. Appert took the program over just after there was a question if it would become D-3. The previous coach had local products basically handed to him that were pro-material that kept him going for several years after. Also inherited a team from Buddy that was good.

Posters can ***** all they want and have every right to but let’s remember RPI is a technical school. If I’m a recruit and Yale, Harvard and RPI are pursuing me I think the Tute (with all due) respect is at a disadvantage. Seth has won many recruit battles and will in the future. All you posters with the cheapshots about back- up goalie, brlycream ought to grow up. He has brought good college hockey players in here. Trend was the other way.

Also let’s get over where the band is located. The band sounds great but it’s not the end all be all. I admire their dedication but c’mon.. it’s over.

As far as SA developing players, Polacek came in as a walk on and became Hobey Baker candidate. Haggerty went from fourth line guy on US U-18 to the to one of leading scorers in the nation and Hobey candidate. JDA, Pirri, Foss, Merth etc. playing pro. This is a sign that he has brought in good talent.

With regard to five forwards on PP. BC does it all the time. Works sometimes, doesn’t sometimes.

For the guy who won’t take the 90 min. ride, thanks for your support. Get in the car, go to an alumni event and tell Coach your concerns before the game.

Lastly, Coach is going nowhere. Six years left on the contract that most of us was glad he signed. Kasdorf back, etc. etc.

My best wishes to #23, #12, #28, #3 and one of the true nice guys #11. God speed.
                      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Doc, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything. God bless.
                        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                          sean walsh
                          It's Shawn Walsh, he was a great Coach and has passed away...no shame.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                            Statement by AspyDad –

While this is a terrible loss for the Cherry and White, the sun will rise again. For anyone to compare tenure of coaches is apple and oranges. Appert took the program over just after there was a question if it would become D-3. The previous coach had local products basically handed to him that were pro-material that kept him going for several years after. Also inherited a team from Buddy that was good.

Posters can ***** all they want and have every right to but let’s remember RPI is a technical school. If I’m a recruit and Yale, Harvard and RPI are pursuing me I think the Tute (with all due) respect is at a disadvantage. Seth has won many recruit battles and will in the future. All you posters with the cheapshots about back- up goalie, brlycream ought to grow up. He has brought good college hockey players in here. Trend was the other way.

Also let’s get over where the band is located. The band sounds great but it’s not the end all be all. I admire their dedication but c’mon.. it’s over.

As far as SA developing players, Polacek came in as a walk on and became Hobey Baker candidate. Haggerty went from fourth line guy on US U-18 to the to one of leading scorers in the nation and Hobey candidate. JDA, Pirri, Foss, Merth etc. playing pro. This is a sign that he has brought in good talent.

With regard to five forwards on PP. BC does it all the time. Works sometimes, doesn’t sometimes.

For the guy who won’t take the 90 min. ride, thanks for your support. Get in the car, go to an alumni event and tell Coach your concerns before the game.

Lastly, Coach is going nowhere. Six years left on the contract that most of us was glad he signed. Kasdorf back, etc. etc.

My best wishes to #23, #12, #28, #3 and one of the true nice guys #11. God speed.
                            With all due respect, I disagree with your statement that most of us were glad Appert was re-upped. His record is appalling and I know many alumni as well as myself who were hoping he would be picked up by another team. It now appears he would be lucky to ever find another Div. 1 coaching job. Just look at Fridgen who had a much better record. For the sake of argument lets assume that your premise is correct that Appert is a great recruiter. Then why hasn't this translated to results on the ice? The answer is either that he is a terrible game coach or motivator or both. Just because he may be a 'good guy' is no reason to keep him. I fear we will have more than one defection because of the continued failures. If you are correct that this coach is going nowhere then that is exactly where this team will be going for the rest of the decade. I was lucky enough to enjoy the 1985 team but sadly there are many on this forum who have only experienced the decline of this once proud Hockey program. Time to change 'em up.
                            "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Today is 9 March 2014. There are 209 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.

Last thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...mum-Overdrivel.
                              Ralph, you got it wrong - the title should have read, "7 YEARS of Drivel"
                              "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                                Doc,

Amen to that.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X