X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    ok, now that everyone's here, and said their piece, how does the the sub-standard culture get fixed?
    I might quibble with the "sub-standard" culture. I think the culture is good: professional, high GPA, no off-ice issues of any kind, the players seem well-conditioned. But I get your point and have an idea. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to get a mentor/consultant to review the program top to bottom and offer some guidance? I'll throw a name out, only as an example because the exact candidate isn't critical at this point, but wouldn't a guy like Jack Parker have some useful guidance? I'm not sure if he is available or is the mentoring type but, if so, he could come to Troy a few days every month. The Coaching staff could go to visit him now and then. They could talk on the phone. Coaching at the Div 1 level is tough, everything at the Div 1 level is tough, and the program is clearly struggling. The easiest change to envision is to fire the coach. Well in this case that's not really an option and in most cases it's not the best option. Like it or not there has been a big commitment to this coach, why not try to get the most out of that? Why not spend some $ to get some help from someone who's had significant success as a head coach at a Div 1 school? The program has been too mediocre for too long and an organized, top to bottom assessment just may lead to changes that will get us playing more post-season hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
      I'm wondering where you are getting your analyses from. Sometimes I believe you're being contrarian just for the sake of arguing.
      I have a pretty good idea of where he gets his analyses from - the very bottom of his gastrointestinal tract.

Of course, saying this just means that I'm one of the "apologists," of course.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
        Oh and I forgot in my ramblings, Congrats to Ryan Haggerty!
        Ryan Who?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RedWrister View Post
          I might quibble with the "sub-standard" culture. I think the culture is good: professional, high GPA, no off-ice issues of any kind, the players seem well-conditioned. But I get your point and have an idea. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to get a mentor/consultant to review the program top to bottom and offer some guidance? I'll throw a name out, only as an example because the exact candidate isn't critical at this point, but wouldn't a guy like Jack Parker have some useful guidance? I'm not sure if he is available or is the mentoring type but, if so, he could come to Troy a few days every month. The Coaching staff could go to visit him now and then. They could talk on the phone. Coaching at the Div 1 level is tough, everything at the Div 1 level is tough, and the program is clearly struggling. The easiest change to envision is to fire the coach. Well in this case that's not really an option and in most cases it's not the best option. Like it or not there has been a big commitment to this coach, why not try to get the most out of that? Why not spend some $ to get some help from someone who's had significant success as a head coach at a Div 1 school? The program has been too mediocre for too long and an organized, top to bottom assessment just may lead to changes that will get us playing more post-season hockey.
          This suggestion does not include enough heads rolling for people around here to take it seriously. Pity.

It's actually not a bad idea. Not sure if it would be 100% feasible but it's at least something developed using rational analysis.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
            Congrats to Haggerty on an awesome opportunity, and for picking the right professional organization to sign with

Now I'm curious as to how this will impact our scoring next season with him and Higgs gone...
            We need to win games 1-0
            I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by RedWrister View Post
              Although I doubt that he visits, I am sure that Coach Gwozdecky gives SA advice at times.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-13-2014, 08:53 AM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Does it come with free toothpaste?
                Nah. Knowing FD, I'm sure he prefers crest just to be argumentative.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                  Nah. Knowing FD, I'm sure he prefers crest just to be argumentative.
                  More likely baking soda. He seems like a trona kind of fellow.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Let's take these one at a time:

1. No one is saying that Appert can't recruit. We all know he can do that. We are questioning his abilities as a bench coach.
                    2. You're going to brag about one-and-dones, especially considering one of those two ended up playing in major junior the next year? Why do you think they left after one year, especially if one wasn't yet ready for the big league?
                    3. Haggerty signed an NHL contract because it is beyond the AHL deadline so he would not have been allowed to sign with the AHL, but it's fairly obvious that he will be going there next year.

About the only thing that saves RPI's bacon from pulling a Michigan Tech from the end of the previous decade is the fact that we have good goaltending. When Appert says "we have to win ugly 1-0, 2-1 games", it is essentially news-speak for "We can't generate offense to put the puck in the net, so we have to rely on our goaltending and hope we get lucky on the other end."
                    1. Fair and accurate. No explanation from here as to why decent talent does not translate to more succes on the ice, especially in the post-season
                    2. They left after one year because the pros threw a lot of money their way, plain and simple.
                    3. He will very likely be in Hartford next fall, but he has a couple of months to hang around and practice with the Rangers and all summer to get stronger and prepare to be a good player in the AHL. He can shoot the puck, so the Rangers will probably give him an opportunity to develop. He may not ever make it back to the NHL, but I think he will be a solid minor leaguer and with his shot, he could end up in the big time somewhere, shome day.

All the best to him.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                      What are you missing??? WINS!!!! If that's not important to you than you are 100% correct. I don't think anyone says the coach has lost touch. Just isn't pushing the right buttons when it comes to changing the losing culture at RPI. They have become an easily predictable opponent when the chips are down. Press their defensmen a little bit and it will lead to way too many grade A scoring chances. Block the lanes high on the PP and you have pretty much shut it down beacuse not much was happening down low. All fixable problems. I actually think Haggerty leaving is going to give Seth a huge opportunity. They are going to need a little more from every roster spot now. This may lead to an increase in intensity. RPI needs to become a team that presses and is not the one always being pressed. Maybe I am seeing something different than you but I see too many teams playing with an attitude and I see RPI being a little more passive than their opponents, of which some are less talented IMO. Its been too many years of opponents dictating the pace. The talent has been there. And unless your happy with a NHL'er or two and a recruit from where Jonathan Toews went, what am I missing?
                      All good points john, and pretty much spot on.

Comment

What we will be missing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQo5A6dE9Q
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Those goals were already scored.

Comment

Ken Schott mentioned on his sports segment that with 11 points we had the lowest combined scoring by freshmen in the country.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              Those goals were already scored.
                              Most true, and we didn't win enough with them anyway. By my calculation, with Haggerty and the seniors, we are losing players who scored 54 of our 104 goals.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                By my calculation, with Haggerty and the seniors, we are losing players who scored 54 of our 104 goals.
                                Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                                Assuming we don't get robbed of Zalewski or Laliberté before next year, we will lose (from 3, 11, 12, 23, 28, 39):

52% of goals.
                                40% of points.
                                70% of PPGs.
                                71% of SHGs.
                                60% of GWGs.
                                45% of penalties.
                                42% of PIMs.
                                Geez Ralph, just ignore what I posted

And extended out the last few years (all numbers are percentages):
                                Code:
                                | Year  | Players |G  |A  |P  |PPG|PEN|PIM|Major losses
                                |-------|---------|---|---|---|---|---|---|-----------------------------------
                                | 13-14 | 6 of 26 |52 |32 |40 |70 |45 |42 |Haggerty, Higgs
                                | 12-13 | 5 of 27 |21 |18 |19 |33 |21 |24 |Bailen
                                | 11-12 | 8 of 26 |24 |18 |21 |12 |32 |31 |Cullen
                                | 10-11 | 8 of 25 |42 |40 |41 |56 |33 |31 |Polacek, York (but not for offense)
                                | 09-10 | 9 of 27 |35 |44 |41 |36 |41 |43 |Pirri, D'Amigo
                                Last edited by lugnut92; 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM.
                                RPI Pep Band
                                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Working...
                                X