This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

For those posters who live in the Capital District, Seth and Haggs will be on Rodger Wyland's radio show this morning (980 AM).

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm...A commit from Shattuck-St.Marys in fact it seems he is a top 5 scorer on the #1 ranked U-18 team in the country. I hear Shattuck has a pretty good program. Alumni...Sidney Crosby/Zach Parise/Drew Stafford/Jonathan Toews just to name as few. Its to bad SA doesn't know how to recruit and the program is in shambles. Im sure the experts here will be apoplectic because there is no reason that we had to settle for the #5 scorer. It seems "OUR" no let me rephrase that "MY" coach has lost his touch. Lets see NHL draft pick and last years leading scorer in the AHL the youngest player to ever do that, NHL draft pick World Junior Gold Medalist and possibly one of the better perfofmances ever in that tourny, we have our second NHL drafted goaltender, and most recently a player passed up 3 times for the NHL draft that in 3 years at RPI developed into one of the leading goal scorers in the country and just signed a NHL not a minor league an NHL contract and now a recruit from the best prep program in the world. As I sit here tongue firmly placed in cheek I ask myself what do these people know that I don't??? what am I missing ???
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
        Hmmmmmmmmm...A commit from Shattuck-St.Marys in fact it seems he is a top 5 scorer on the #1 ranked U-18 team in the country. I hear Shattuck has a pretty good program. Alumni...Sidney Crosby/Zach Parise/Drew Stafford/Jonathan Toews just to name as few. Its to bad SA doesn't know how to recruit and the program is in shambles. Im sure the experts here will be apoplectic because there is no reason that we had to settle for the #5 scorer. It seems "OUR" no let me rephrase that "MY" coach has lost his touch. Lets see NHL draft pick and last years leading scorer in the AHL the youngest player to ever do that, NHL draft pick World Junior Gold Medalist and possibly one of the better perfofmances ever in that tourny, we have our second NHL drafted goaltender, and most recently a player passed up 3 times for the NHL draft that in 3 years at RPI developed into one of the leading goal scorers in the country and just signed a NHL not a minor league an NHL contract and now a recruit from the best prep program in the world. As I sit here tongue firmly placed in cheek I ask myself what do these people know that I don't??? what am I missing ???
        Let's take these one at a time:

1. No one is saying that Appert can't recruit. We all know he can do that. We are questioning his abilities as a bench coach.
        2. You're going to brag about one-and-dones, especially considering one of those two ended up playing in major junior the next year? Why do you think they left after one year, especially if one wasn't yet ready for the big league?
        3. Haggerty signed an NHL contract because it is beyond the AHL deadline so he would not have been allowed to sign with the AHL, but it's fairly obvious that he will be going there next year.

About the only thing that saves RPI's bacon from pulling a Michigan Tech from the end of the previous decade is the fact that we have good goaltending. When Appert says "we have to win ugly 1-0, 2-1 games", it is essentially news-speak for "We can't generate offense to put the puck in the net, so we have to rely on our goaltending and hope we get lucky on the other end."

Comment

I think SA should apply for the Lake State job and use it as leverage to further extend his current contract!!
          Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

1. No one is saying that Appert can't recruit. We all know he can do that. We are questioning his abilities as a bench coach.
            2. You're going to brag about one-and-dones, especially considering one of those two ended up playing in major junior the next year? Why do you think they left after one year, especially if one wasn't yet ready for the big league?
            3. Haggerty signed an NHL contract because it is beyond the AHL deadline so he would not have been allowed to sign with the AHL, but it's fairly obvious that he will be going there next year.

About the only thing that saves RPI's bacon from pulling a Michigan Tech from the end of the previous decade is the fact that we have good goaltending. When Appert says "we have to win ugly 1-0, 2-1 games", it is essentially news-speak for "We can't generate offense to put the puck in the net, so we have to rely on our goaltending and hope we get lucky on the other end."
            Your cluelessness can be breathtaking at times are you sure you won't take money to become a Colgate fan !
            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

I will take these one at a time:

1. Read carefully. There have been more than one poster in this thread questioning whether or not Appert is recruiting any talent, so there are people questioning his recruiting abilities.
              2. They probably left because someone gave them a wonderful opportunity to go pro that may not ever show up again for them. It sucks but that is the reality. What would you do in their shoes? (skates?)
              3. Not necessarily true, see Chris Kreider/Carl Hagelin also on the New York Rangers. That's a wide assumption to make, for all we know they could stick Haggerty on the third or fourth line and he could be putting the puck in the net left and right.

As for the goaltending thing, not even remotely true. As evidenced by the fact that, you know, we were scoring in leaps and bounds this year, maybe the real trick is that the ECAC is stacked with good goal tending and defensive corps as a league? Hence the low-scoring games our league is infamous for?

I'm wondering where you are getting your analyses from. Sometimes I believe you're being contrarian just for the sake of arguing.
              Last edited by ibanezist00; 03-13-2014, 07:50 AM. Reason: Grammar/clarity
              Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

your cluelessness can be breathtaking at times are you sure you won't take money to become a union fan !
                fyp
                Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

What are you missing??? WINS!!!! If that's not important to you than you are 100% correct. I don't think anyone says the coach has lost touch. Just isn't pushing the right buttons when it comes to changing the losing culture at RPI. They have become an easily predictable opponent when the chips are down. Press their defensmen a little bit and it will lead to way too many grade A scoring chances. Block the lanes high on the PP and you have pretty much shut it down beacuse not much was happening down low. All fixable problems. I actually think Haggerty leaving is going to give Seth a huge opportunity. They are going to need a little more from every roster spot now. This may lead to an increase in intensity. RPI needs to become a team that presses and is not the one always being pressed. Maybe I am seeing something different than you but I see too many teams playing with an attitude and I see RPI being a little more passive than their opponents, of which some are less talented IMO. Its been too many years of opponents dictating the pace. The talent has been there. And unless your happy with a NHL'er or two and a recruit from where Jonathan Toews went, what am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezist00 View Post
                    I will take these one at a time:

1. Read carefully. There have been more than one poster in this thread questioning whether or not Appert is recruiting any talent, so there are people questioning his recruiting abilities.
                    2. They probably left because someone gave them a wonderful opportunity to go pro that may not ever show up again for them. It sucks but that is the reality. What would you do in their shoes? (skates?)
                    3. Not necessarily true, see Chris Kreider/Carl Hagelin also on the New York Rangers. That's a wide assumption to make, for all we know they could stick Haggerty on the third or fourth line and he could be putting the puck in the net left and right.

As for the goaltending thing, not even remotely true. As evidenced by the fact that, you know, we were scoring in leaps and bounds this year, maybe the real trick is that the ECAC is stacked with good goal tending and defensive corps as a league? Hence the low-scoring games our league is infamous for?

I'm wondering where you are getting your analyses from. Sometimes I believe you're being contrarian just for the sake of arguing.
                    1. Anyone who is lambasting Appert for recruiting is a moron.
                    2. Why do you think these teams gave them this opportunity so early as opposed to a couple years later, especially when they knew that they'd stick them in the AHL? Pirri I can understand because Chicago had just won the cup and may have had salary cap issues, but D'Amigo is where the main questioning comes from.
                    3. What you are saying is like trying to roll a hard six on the hop at the craps table. Not without possibility, but highly improbable. I wouldn't be shocked if Haggerty happens to get a few games where if NY's playoffs fate has been determined, but aside from that, I will bet you a beer that he ends up in the AHL or lower for the majority of next year.
                    4. 2.59 GF/G in the conference is leaps and bounds? If you're trying to compare to the 2008-09 season you have a point, but that isn't much to write home about. Appert's target has been 3.00 GF/G, and from what I can tell, the earnings estimate was missed.

Comment

Originally posted by NYhockeyguy View Post
                      Thanks very much for posting this! Now we can pretend that UND # 29 is actually someone from this thread who posts stupid annoying things and thereby get some vicarious relief from his nonsense without getting an ulcer!
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

fyp
                        I would rather stick a soldering iron in my eye than join up with the Schenectadopes.

Comment

Sometimes I believe you're being contrarian just for the sake of arguing.
                          You are just figuring that out NOW???

He actually brags about how many people he pizzes off, wears it like a badge of honor. Somehow finds it ennobling to be a pariah.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Oh and I forgot in my ramblings, Congrats to Ryan Haggerty!

Comment

He played on the same SSM teams as Nathan MacKinnon for two years. SSM has also produced Ben Barr and Tyler Eaves for us, as women's 2015 recruit Josephine Hansen.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Your cluelessness can be breathtaking at times are you sure you won't take money to become a Colgate fan !
                                Does it come with free toothpaste?
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X