This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Offseason Thread: 7 Months of Drivel

I am in agreement that maybe Appert isn't the best fit for this program. We've had too much inconsistency during games and if you look at the overall performance season after season (finishing #2 last season to fall on home ice yet again, falling to the #12 seed on home ice, finishing 10th one season and then #2 the next season... seems to just be a pattern of wild swings), but my question to the bigger naysayers than I is: say Appert is actually ousted. Who is available to take his place that we think can do a better job? I'm legitimately asking this question because I do not really know what the answer is. I also refuse to put it all entirely on him because there's only so much a coach can do, but I'm also certain his coaching is a factor in our inconsistency.

More specific thought: why, why, WHY, WHY! do we have five forwards on the power play, all the time? It hurts us more than it helps us, as evidenced by the fact that Haggerty had no idea what to do when the puck came to him at the blue line tonight, and then the ensuing 2-on-0 SHG for Dartmouth. The only time five forwards should be out on the ice on the man advantage is when the team has a 2-man advantage.
    Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      I expect we will hear all the cliches again. All the reasons that a team we should have handled easily wanted it more, played harder, came to win, etc. I have followed RPI hockey for 50 years. I am still hopeful that before I call it quits, i will once again see a nationally prominent team at RPI. I am personally in not the best frame of mind right now-from things outside of hockey-but I must say, enough is enough is enough. We have wasted chances with good teams and even finer boys who are superb players. I have a lot of questions but one that bothers me a lot. We recruit wonderful boys to play at RPI. At least someone thinks they are good enough to sign years ahead of time. They come to RPI with hopes and dreams-and they are not fresh faced 17 year olds-they have spent extra years honing their skills in places like the USHL against other tough competition and are often several years older. And they come to Troy-and they get very little chance to play that first year. How many freshmen suited up for this entire weekend? Could they have performed any worse? Are they not good enough to play or are they too young to play? I see younger kids playing NHL and AHL level hockey. Sports are never static-even the best dynasties had to make changes to stay on top. Just my very depressed 2ยข right now. My upset over RPI hockey will abate-it always has. But with other things that have happened, I cannot see any silver lining right now.
      Hockey aside, you have my good thoughts for whatever you are dealing with.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

I think it gets to the goals and objectives of the program. Are we a team that wants to get to the top at any cost, or are we a team that values our senior players above all? I have no evidence for saying this, but I suspect that we didn't play our freshmen not because they aren't capable but because of some sentimental reason that tells us we must put our older players out there.
        Let's give a cheer for old Rensselaer... You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the beer!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI_2003 View Post
          I think it gets to the goals and objectives of the program. Are we a team that wants to get to the top at any cost, or are we a team that values our senior players above all? I have no evidence for saying this, but I suspect that we didn't play our freshmen not because they aren't capable but because of some sentimental reason that tells us we must put our older players out there.
          These are telltale signs of bad coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            I thought it was a mistake to fire Fridgen. Is Appert in danger? I would think so...along with Donato. I hope Prier has another year...and Pecknold gets fired just because!
            This is the first time I've thought Appert was in danger. That team looked awfully good on paper. I'd have to know whether there are problems internally or issues between him an the AD and/or admissions.

Donato should be be fired. Prier has another year, but that won't help (that's year one After Caloff) -- he'll need two. Pecknold obviously has a job for life; he, Gaudet, Vaughn and Schafer can name a retirement date in 2040 and their schools will be fine with it.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I expect we will hear all the cliches again. All the reasons that a team we should have handled easily wanted it more, played harder, came to win, etc. I have followed RPI hockey for 50 years. I am still hopeful that before I call it quits, i will once again see a nationally prominent team at RPI. I am personally in not the best frame of mind right now-from things outside of hockey-but I must say, enough is enough is enough. We have wasted chances with good teams and even finer boys who are superb players. I have a lot of questions but one that bothers me a lot. We recruit wonderful boys to play at RPI. At least someone thinks they are good enough to sign years ahead of time. They come to RPI with hopes and dreams-and they are not fresh faced 17 year olds-they have spent extra years honing their skills in places like the USHL against other tough competition and are often several years older. And they come to Troy-and they get very little chance to play that first year. How many freshmen suited up for this entire weekend? Could they have performed any worse? Are they not good enough to play or are they too young to play? I see younger kids playing NHL and AHL level hockey. Sports are never static-even the best dynasties had to make changes to stay on top. Just my very depressed 2ยข right now. My upset over RPI hockey will abate-it always has. But with other things that have happened, I cannot see any silver lining right now.
              Echoing LTSatch on this one; you also have my thoughts sent your way.
              Hockey is serious business. Everything else is just a game.

RPI Hockey, Syracuse Football, New York Rangers, New York Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                This is the first time I've thought Appert was in danger. That team looked awfully good on paper. I'd have to know whether there are problems internally or issues between him an the AD and/or admissions.

Donato should be be fired. Prier has another year, but that won't help (that's year one After Caloff) -- he'll need two. Pecknold obviously has a job for life; he, Gaudet, Vaughn and Schafer can name a retirement date in 2040 and their schools will be fine with it.
                Throw Keith Allain in there as well with the job for life.
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                  Throw Keith Allain in there as well with the job for life.
                  Very true, and he is mellowing with age!
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RPI_2003 View Post
                    With all due respect I would say that's a stretch. I have a feeling Halpren, Rabbani, Beauregard, Smith to name a few would disagree with you on seniors receiving playing time because of sentimental reasons. Maybe at the mite levels of hockey your kid gets playing time because you buy the coach a few beers on travel weekends but at this level you play because you earned your ice time whether you are a senior or a freshman.

Comment

Well said Doc - I hope everything works out for you outside of the rink.

****ing evidence for me - good recruiting classes aren't translating into a culture of excellence or even above-average performance; the half baked efforts in the playoffs at home; the regression of the program stature to be a clear 2nd fiddle to Union and on par with traditional ECAC doormats like Brown, Dartmouth...
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

We all fell for it - the handsome, energetic young coach with the multi-national championships pedigree as an assistant would lead us back to the promised land. He was so friendly and well-spoken that he seemed just the kind of guy you'd want as a neighbor. We were so infatuated that some with the greatest man-crushes even deemed him Our Great Coach before he'd achieved anything on his own. Well, it's becoming increasingly apparent that we only saw what we wanted to see. RPI, with it's rigorous yet limited in scope academics (we aren't the Engineers for nothing even if most of the players are still management majors) is not an easy job. However, that doesn't explain the wide fluctuations in performance and, worse yet, perceived effort. It doesn't explain failure to adjust and respond mid-game, resulting in painful losses in games that were seemingly under control or at least within reach. Odd strategies such as the 5 forward PP seem to become ingrained even when they aren't working. All teams have good and bad games, but our lows seem to come at particularly bad times. I made it up to Troy for last season's playoff debacle and intended to do the same this weekend before family demands fortunately kept me away.

I will always be blindly loyal to my alma mater, but Seth now needs to show us that he is deserving of the great faith we had in him. I gave him a pass after the Pirri/D'Amigo departures unexpectedly set back the plan for a few years. I'll even give him a partial pass for this season because of Kasdorf's injury. However, the pattern has to change because patience and acceptance of the same mistakes are not infinite no matter how much we like the guy on a personal level.

Comment

My main current dissatisfaction is with the 5-forward power play which is others have said just doesn't work. Ironically he recently has been using a two-forward powerplay for the second unit with Bokenfohr up front. The other problem major problem is that we just don't seem to adjust as well between periods as other teams.

I thought that this year was going to be the year that we would at least make the ECAC final four. I have the feeling that next years team will not look as good on paper since I suspect that we will have at least one loss to the pros.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 10 March 2014. There are 208 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 4 October 2014 for the start of next season.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                              Well said Doc - I hope everything works out for you outside of the rink.

****ing evidence for me - good recruiting classes aren't translating into a culture of excellence or even above-average performance; the half baked efforts in the playoffs at home; the regression of the program stature to be a clear 2nd fiddle to Union and on par with traditional ECAC doormats like Brown, Dartmouth...

They're translating into exactly what happens on the ice. I stood next to Dartmouth as they were going out for the 2nd period tonight and Gaudet was screaming over and over "this ****ing team sucks, let's go" as they got on the ice. That is the level of respect this team commands from one of the revered coaches in the league. I've played and coached college hockey. I mentioned that to my brother when I got to my seat, who also played hockey for a long time and it seemed really odd. Appert sends a message, like a kindergarten teacher, that things are ok and just do what we're supposed to do and we will win because it's the "engineer way". The real world doesn't work that way. That's not the engineer way, because engineers fix problems, they don't pretend they don't exist. That's not how competitive games work. Unfortunately, there is a coach, and another team on the other side trying to beat you. They will adapt to survive, and because their coach isn't decorative, they will win. There are better coaches on d3 teams in the US, and on junior teams throughout Canada whom are more qualified. I've seen mens league teams coordinate their talent on the power play better than Appert has. It's embarrassing to support a team the way me and my friends do every week, while watching other schools adapt and improve whist we tread water. Every year we move away from the "hockey history" RPI has, the closer they get to hockey irrelevance, and it's a ****ing ****ty ride for those of us who have been doing it for a long time. At this point, while watching a team that used to be a D-3 doormat clean up on a trophy RPI hasn't won in 20 years, it's embarrassing. It used to be exciting to go to a game. There used to be a band who led fans in cheers at the end of the ice. It was electric. It didn't sound like an uncoordinated pile of dog ****. No acoustics engineers at RPI I guess, as the band in the corner is worse than none at all. It echoes like the ****ing Grand Canyon. There used to be decent food at the snack bar. Now we get inedible trash, 4 jerseys a year, and a high five on the way out the door after watching the only high seed in the ecac lose at home 3 years in a row ever. Someone should clue Mr. Appert in that pretending to be good isn't the engineer way. It's not the RPI way. Engineers don't pretend a problem doesn't exist, they fix it. Seth's not an engineer. He can't solve problems, and he needs to go.
                              Last edited by hrbrendan; 03-10-2014, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Regardless of team affiliations, my best wishes to you and Jenny, Doc
                                Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                                Clarkson 1990

Comment

Working...
                                X