X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    A DIII guy on the way up looking to get his foot in the DI door. Salary shouldn't be too different.
    A DI assistant looking for his first head coaching job might look at the salary as a stepping stone.
    Whoever it is when he does good he's gone to greener pastures and you try to do it again.
    Sounds as if the alternative is an alum who has done extremely well financially.
    UAH got Danton Cole at a discount as a guy with an eye on the Michigan State job who would be coaching in a nothing league. (Chris Luongo was paid much the same as Cole, and I know what he made, roughly.) UAH upped things significantly (say 30%) with Kleinendorst, and I bet that they went higher with Corbett. You might get someone cheaper than what Corbett and Matt Thomas at UAA are being paid, but those guys have effectively set the bar for what you make to coach in this league. I wouldn't expect many people to take a whole lot less than that. $125k probably has to be the minimum, and I've seen some here say that Roque wasn't paid that much. I could be wrong about that.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      UAH got Danton Cole at a discount as a guy with an eye on the Michigan State job who would be coaching in a nothing league. (Chris Luongo was paid much the same as Cole, and I know what he made, roughly.) UAH upped things significantly (say 30%) with Kleinendorst, and I bet that they went higher with Corbett. You might get someone cheaper than what Corbett and Matt Thomas at UAA are being paid, but those guys have effectively set the bar for what you make to coach in this league. I wouldn't expect many people to take a whole lot less than that. $125k probably has to be the minimum, and I've seen some here say that Roque wasn't paid that much. I could be wrong about that.
      GFM
      You may consider doing a little more research on that.
      With a little digging most of the state university salaries are public record. It's public money paying it. Unless they're also getting a boost from an alumni association, etc. the salaries are there for the looking.
      The football and basketball guys may have hit the pot at the end of the rainbow but when you get below the elites in hockey the salaries are not in the stratosphere (something many UAH folks are familiar with).
      IMHO $125,000 would draw a pretty significant talent pool of applicants.
      It would also be a sizeable raise for most ECHL coaches.

Comment

With a little digging most of the state university salaries are public record. It's public money paying it. Unless they're also getting a boost from an alumni association, etc. the salaries are there for the looking.
        The football and basketball guys may have hit the pot at the end of the rainbow but when you get below the elites in hockey the salaries are not in the stratosphere (something many UAH folks are familiar with).
        IMHO $125,000 would draw a pretty significant talent pool of applicants.
        It would also be a sizeable raise for most ECHL coaches.
        I was under the impression that Corbett and Thomas were in the $140K range. Like I said, I could be wrong about that. I could find the answer about Corbett out pretty easily, because I can go and ask for the Athletics budget whenever I want as a taxpayer and graduate student.

$125K may be high.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I was under the impression that Corbett and Thomas were in the $140K range. Like I said, I could be wrong about that. I could find the answer about Corbett out pretty easily, because I can go and ask for the Athletics budget whenever I want as a taxpayer and graduate student.

$125K may be high.
          GFM
          Check out the newspaper articles back when our hiring process was being jacked around making us look foolish.
          The numbers are there and the talent applying for the position is also there.
          I'm pretty sure $125 will buy you a quality coach.
          And yes Matt makes considerably more than that but when the position opened it was in the $125 range.

Comment

http://www.uah.edu/images/administra...ok_2013_14.pdf

Pg. 23 is relevant. That's a line-item for salaries for all employees of the hockey office (HC, ACs, HockeyOps, Equipment). Given that the academic year runs July-June (or it did when I was SGA VP and handling budgets) and the GFY runs October-September, you're seeing overlap here across the FYs, and anyway, it's $362,181. With five people in that office, it's reasonable to expect that the head coach gets 40% of that pie (considering that HockeyOps and Equipment guys are really young and not paid a ton). That puts Corbett at $145K, and that's not counting fringes.

[You can also see from that budget that hockey gets more money than everyone else, but that men's hoops and softball do better than the other sports. That doesn't surprise me at all, but it may interest those of you that don't know anything about UAH. You'll also note that hockey is the only program to have its own operating budget line item, and that's a six-figure item at that.]

I wasn't able to quickly find the budget on uaa.alaska.edu. I'll take any pointers on that from UAA people, since the comparison is there.

Here's LSSU's budget: http://www.lssu.edu/busoff/documents...FundBudget.pdf

I'm posting that link because the coffee shop I'm in is about to close, so I'm about to leave. I'm going to keep reading it to figure out where they're hiding Athletics.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Check out the newspaper articles back when our hiring process was being jacked around making us look foolish.
              The numbers are there and the talent applying for the position is also there.
              I'm pretty sure $125 will buy you a quality coach.
              And yes Matt makes considerably more than that but when the position opened it was in the $125 range.
              But $125K wasn't enough to get Thomas or Corbett. Is it a good floor to start discussions? Perhaps, but I doubt that anyone without the Internet and a few hours' time (read: an agent) isn't going to find that information out and uses those numbers to frame their salary discussions. In short, I'd be surprised if someone was hired in the WCHA at that value.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

$125K may be high.

GFM
                Pulling some numbers from http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
                Average Annual Institutional Salary per Head Coach
                (average of all Men's Sports Head Coaches at school):
                Bowling Green State University: $165,004* Division 1 in all sports
                Minnesota State University - Mankato: $103,821
                University of Alaska - Anchorage: $88,496
                Michigan Technological University: $85,753
                Northern Michigan University: $72,852
                Bemidji State University: $67,293
                University of Alabama - Huntsville: $61,859
                Ferris State University: $57,257
                University of Alaska - _airbanks: $56,217
                Lake Superior State University: $23,700

$125k won't get you any former WCHA coach, except for maybe Jamie Russell...
                http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...st-paid-coach/

Here is a rundown of WCHA “base” coaching salaries (2009):
                Alaska Anchorage — Dave Shyiak, $110,000 in 2009-10, contract through 2011-12
                Colorado College – Scott Owens, financial terms unavailable, contract through 2012-13
                Denver – George Gwozdecky, base and length unavailable
                Minnesota – Don Lucia, $222,789 in 2007-08, contract through 2011-12
                Minnesota Duluth – Scott Sandelin, $150,000 in 2009-10, contract through 2011-12
                Minnesota State- Mankato – Troy Jutting, $138,000 in 2008-09, expected to sign contract extension
                Michigan Tech – Jamie Russell, $116,759 in 2008-09, contract through 2011-12
                North Dakota – Dave Hakstol, $210,000 in 2007-08, contract through 2011-12
                St. Cloud State – Bob Motzko, $167,000 in 2008-09, contract through 2014-15
                Wisconsin – Mike Eaves, $229,511 in 2008-09, contract through 2013-14
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Aparch....at that salary the lake state guy can't afford to be living from his car...he can't afford a car on that money
                  He wants to know if you've got a station wagon with a little extra room?

Comment

Thanks, aparch.

I haven't been able to find the General Athletics Fund budget for LSSU, but not for lack of trying. That's what it's titled, and it should be available. I did find where the capital fund was $511k in the red ( ), but that's it.

I'm hearing little rumbles myself. I hope that there's an earthquake for all this, or maybe just a kaiju. I mean, a kaiju tearing up the UP would be kinda ... wait, this isn't Pacific Rim.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Aparch....at that salary the lake state guy can't afford to be living from his car...he can't afford a car on that money
                      He wants to know if you've got a station wagon with a little extra room?
                      Ha!

Those are just the averages of all Men's Head Coaches at LSSU as reported to the US Gov't. Certainly the hockey head coach position pays better than that... but how little are the other coaches being paid to balance that out?

Also, this does not include any other salary incentives that are paid to the coach.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Ha!

Those are just the averages of all Men's Head Coaches at LSSU as reported to the US Gov't. Certainly the hockey head coach position pays better than that... but how little are the other coaches being paid to balance that out?

Also, this does not include any other salary incentives that are paid to the coach.
                        But you beg the question.
                        Any extra room in your station wagon?

Comment

Ha!

The only way that it can be that low is if they're paying $0 from the GAF for coaches and are covering them otherwise. Does LSSU have soccer coaches that also teach civil engineering classes? UAH used to be that way in the NAIA days.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Pulling some numbers from http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/
                            Average Annual Institutional Salary per Head Coach
                            (average of all Men's Sports Head Coaches at school):
                            Bowling Green State University: $165,004* Division 1 in all sports
                            average skewed by DI football ($400,000+), AD ($200,000+), and men's BB ($200,000+) salaries (as of 2012).
                            nevertheless...according to the tBlade, Bergeron made $168,369.98 (gross) in 2012.

Prior to Bergeron, Dennis Williams took home $92,223.05 (gross) in 2010.
                            Last edited by blackswampboy; 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM.
                            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I think Roque currently was making somewhere in the low 80s.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X