X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2014 off season thread

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
    Win and they will come. Good post Thank You.
    You hit the nail right on the head Perky. 20 years of college and minor pro hockey under my belt and I've seen just about every kind of promotion there is. But none is better on a consistent basis than a "W."
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Sorry to interrupt on your thread, and I'm in no position to comment on most of the issues you're discussing, but on this point about attendance, I strongly disagree. You start from the premise that anyone is "going to come out to see the likes of" your opponent. They're going to come out to see you. If you're winning, that is. If not, "prestigious" doesn't amount to anything.

Our experience in Mankato over the last few years was this - In 2011, the last time "prestigious" Colorado College came to town, we had a crowd of 5017 for the 2 nights combined. "Prestigious" Denver drew 6683 on their last WCHA visit to Mankato in 2012. Meanwhile "unprestigious" (if that's a word, and I use it nicely!) Huntsville drew 7014 this year, Tech drew 7496, and Ferris 8271. The difference? Now we're good. Those games meant something, and promised the crowd an entertaining evening. The last time those other schools came to Mankato, we weren't good, and the games were meaningless from a conference or NCAA perspective.

If you're counting on the opponent boosting your gate, you're in trouble. Other than the Chicago Cubs, I can't think of a consistent loser in sports who does well attendance-wise, and they only draw well because you can get drunk AND get a tan at the same time. Turn your program around (and I hope you do - I happen to like the nWCHA as it is), and even Mankato might draw well in the Sault.
      I couldn't agree more.
      Go Lakers!

Comment

Sorry, cannot build a competitive NCAA D1 hockey program from NAHL and CJHL. Just wont work.

Comment

Purple is correct in that winning will always attract a crowd but losing the prestigious programs will(and has) drive away the casual fans. I myself am a diehard hockey fan and will watch anything but I value higher levels of hockey much more. The fact is that the nWCHA is a step down from the old CCHA and it hurt me as a fan to see Lake State "dropped" to a lower level conference. Now I did not stop going to games because of this (more to do with the coach and results) but there are some who did and even winning will not get those fans back.
          Now, there is no way crowds should be in the low 1500s for a school like LSSU and winning will certainly boost attendance back in the mid 2000s. Like I've been saying, a new coaching staff putting in place a competitive program in the nWCHA will go a long way in bringing back hundreds of fans. Averaging 2500+ fans a game will go a long way in solving the financial difficulties the team is currently experiencing. Therefore, despite what many of these naysayers (who we know are part of Roque's fan club) are saying, the future can be bright for the program.

Sorry, cannot build a competitive NCAA D1 hockey program from NAHL and CJHL. Just wont work.
          Somewhat true. I've always maintained that to be successful in the college ranks today, you must be able to recruit from the USHL ranks. Lake State has, however, gotten many fine players from the CJHL/NAHL and could have competed but coaching prevented the full utilization of the talent the team possessed.
          Last edited by jnacc; 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            I thought hockey this season was not hockey of the past. The Big Ten with six teams is boring as hell and the new NCHC is a bunch of wannabes who thought losing the Big Ten teams made it their drive to produce some kind of super league by special invite to the league. I am glad the east teams stay the same for the most part .
            Miami was a leader in putting together the "elite" new NCHC and tried to keep some schools out. Ironically, and to the amusement of many, they finished in last place.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerBuff View Post
              Roque has a successful track record for taking no name recruits who were not on anyone's radar until after a couple years of learning and development with his system; and he's turned these no name recruits into free agent prospects with only the help of a part-time staff. No one else in the WCHA is as understaffed as Lake State. Bear in mind, Lake State just doesn't have the depth to replace players and reload. His players do very well in the classroom, are respectful and respected, and they graduate on time.

Roque did a very good job of finding players he did not do that well of a job coaching them.

Bill, just curious, where did you play hockey?

What does that really have to do with anything ?
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                What does that really have to do with anything ?
                You added a line into my quote that I did not say. Pretty sneaky.

Think about this - Lake State does not have the depth to replace players and reload. Makes continuity from season to season somewhat difficult.

Comment

You added a line into my quote that I did not say. Pretty sneaky.

Think about this - Lake State does not have the depth to replace players and reload. Makes continuity from season to season somewhat difficult.
                  That was a mistake sorry. It was supposed to be two different quotes.
                  BLEED BLUE

Comment

Roque has a successful track record for taking no name recruits who were not on anyone's radar until after a couple years of learning and development with his system; and he's turned these no name recruits into free agent prospects with only the help of a part-time staff. No one else in the WCHA is as understaffed as Lake State. Bear in mind, Lake State just doesn't have the depth to replace players and reload. His players do very well in the classroom, are respectful and respected, and they graduate on time.

Bill, just curious, where did you play hockey?
                    Just as interesting at Lake State, is that hey had a enormous banner hanging outside of the Taffy Abel for at least 5 years and finally took it down this past year. The Banner said The Future of Laker Hockey with a rendering of the renovation. Apparently, they jumped the gun on that one! How does a coaching staff explain that to their players year after year when they were using it for recruiting. Oh, sorry we told you five years ago when we recruited you that there was going to be a renovation but the university no longer has the money and according to the Blueliner talk the donor is being investigated for fraud. Another colossal leadership jumbo by the administration at LSSU. Not surprising though for a school that can't even get the 10 year Higher Learning Commission stamp for accreditation. Maybe Lake State isn't the titanic, a better analogy might be the Edmund Fitzgerald. And about attendance, Lake State had 10 home games this year when the Lake State students were on break, of course that is going to hurt your attendance. Winning may help but the Sault only has so many people.(less than 14,000 in case you weren't aware for a 4200 plus capacity rink).

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Hockey 8 View Post
                      Just as interesting at Lake State, is that hey had a enormous banner hanging outside of the Taffy Abel for at least 5 years and finally took it down this past year. The Banner said The Future of Laker Hockey with a rendering of the renovation. Apparently, they jumped the gun on that one! How does a coaching staff explain that to their players year after year when they were using it for recruiting. Oh, sorry we told you five years ago when we recruited you that there was going to be a renovation but the university no longer has the money and according to the Blueliner talk the donor is being investigated for fraud. Another colossal leadership jumbo by the administration at LSSU. Not surprising though for a school that can't even get the 10 year Higher Learning Commission stamp for accreditation. Maybe Lake State isn't the titanic, a better analogy might be the Edmund Fitzgerald. And about attendance, Lake State had 10 home games this year when the Lake State students were on break, of course that is going to hurt your attendance. Winning may help but the Sault only has so many people.(less than 14,000 in case you weren't aware for a 4200 plus capacity rink).
                      Home schedules didn't do the Yooper schools much good this year. NMU had four home dates during deer season/ Thanksgiving Break, two on Christmas Break, two on Spring Break, the Friday LSSU date up against the UP200. Only 5 of 14 conference dates were played with a full student body and no major event conflicts. I would assume that late changes with the addition of Huntsville shared some blame in the scheduling for both schools and having a full year of planning will alleviate some of the scheduling woes for everybody.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

The Lakers will never be able to afford the kind of coach they want. They have champagne taste on a beer budget. Given all the school's financial woes; diminished attendance at games in an arena that's way too big; a major donor who's under investigation for fraud putting a badly needed arena renovation on hold indefinitely (if it even happens at all); and to top it off, they're in a league that's not at all prestigious. No one comes out to see the likes of Bemidji, UAH, etc. Doesn't paint a pretty picture for the kind of coach they're hoping to attract. Administration is going to find themselves in the same boat, if not worse, when it comes to the hockey program going forward. At least Jim Roque cared. He loved the place. Won't find that in anyone else.
                        Last edited by LakerBuff; 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

The Lakers will never be able to afford the kind of coach they want. They have champagne taste on a beer budget. Given all the school's financial woes; diminished attendance at games in an arena that's way too big; a major donor who's under investigation for fraud putting a badly needed arena renovation on hold indefinitely (if it even happens at all); and to top it off, they're in a league that's not at all prestigious. No one comes out to see the likes of Bemidji, UAH, etc. Doesn't paint a pretty picture for the kind of coach they're hoping to attract. Administration is going to find themselves in the same boat, if not worse, when it comes to the hockey program going forward. At least Jim Roque cared. He loved the place. Won't find that in anyone else.
                          I hope we hear soon from 3dognight and the "unnamed donor". I want my brick to go to good use.

Jim Roque sure did care, for 9 years, he cared. No one else will!

Year 10 would have been the best one yet for Lake Superior under his watch!!!
                          Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-20-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

From the top ...

"I believe the most important issue facing LSSU at this time is financial. For the past ten to fifteen years, LSSU has failed to successfully stabilize institutional finances and that failing continues to stifle us today. Repeated cuts in state funding and declining student enrollments have caused us to be reactive rather than proactive. Although our cash flow from year to year has been sufficient to cover basic costs, we have not had the resources that are necessary in order to pursue major projects, fund new strategic initiatives, and appropriately reward our employees."

Again, Lake State will be hard pressed to afford the kind of coach they want. Won't happen, unfortunately.
                            Last edited by LakerBuff; 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Hockey 8 View Post
                              Is there anyone on here that doesn’t think all these new posters supporting Coach Roque are not speaking for Coach Roque? I drank the cool-aid Coach Roque served because those closest to him, including Mr. 3dognight said “yes I am willing to give millions of dollars to the University because of this Coach”. I worried that the renovation could possibly be used as job security for Coach Roque and most of you said that’s ridiculous. I asked why the money wasn’t just turned over to the University to make sure the project stayed on course and was told that it’s bureaucratic red tape.
                              I asked why it took so many years to break ground on a project that was completely funded, albeit by anonymous donors, and was told the University is holding things up.
                              I bought all that and publicly said that $5M dollars makes up for a lot of collapses. I support Coach Roque.
                              Now Coach Roque’s group is turning on the donor? Are you kidding me? Mrs. Dunbar and the President were fine when they allowed themselves to be held hostage by this donation and now they are all of a sudden incompetent? Really? You think the banner should have stayed up? Don’t you have ethics?
                              Do you people have no conscience at all? To me , his job security was the renovation not his coaching ability. When that went, it was time to say good by.

Comment

I've not followed the Lakers closely enough to comment on Jim Roque's tenure, but it is absurd to argue there is no coach good enough to win at Lake State who would accept the position for $80,000. It is just a puzzling assertion. On what is that assessment based? You really don't think there are any good hockey coaches willing to coach a WCHA team for $80,000?

Some people talk like coaching a college hockey team is rocket science that only Jack Parker, Red Berenson and a few others are capable of apprehending. That is nonsense. There are some mediocre hockey coaches who have lasted years in DI. Meanwhile, there are some excellent young coaches in juniors, DIII, Europe, minor leagues, and so on, who would jump at a chance to head coach a WCHA team. They are good coaches and some of them would do it, simple as that. Not all of them would, but some would. There are only 59 programs and some good coaches out there who are interested in coaching one of them. For a variety of reasons (one of them being the unfortunately insular nature of the business), Division I head coaching jobs come open very rarely. It's true you won't get George Gwozdecky for $80,000 -- you won't make a big splash with those resources -- but you can and should get somebody very good. That is the AD's primary responsibility: find and hire good coaches. It can be done. This idea that good hockey coaches are in such limited supply that there's no competition for a job like the head coach of Lake State is ludicrous. It's a non-issue. The focus should be on finding the right up-and-coming coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X