Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Pick The Playoffs 2014

Originally posted by vicb View Post
    Dartmouth is playing RPI, Brown is at SLU.
    I know that...just said it there.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Clarkson 2-1
      Yale 2-1
      RPI 2-1
      Brown 2-1
      RIT Tigers
      2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
      2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
        I agree. I think the Clarkson-Princeton series will have close games with either team having a chance at moving on.
        vic, I'm sure you remember Vermont-Clarkson in 2001 as I remember Colgate-Union in 2011....this is the ECAC - ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.
        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I suspect my house cat has a more profound knowledge of the ECAC than John Buccigross.
          As far as anybody from ESPN goes, Buccigross is probably the most knowledgeable about college hockey, and I believe he has actually gone to various games every weekend this season, or almost every weekend.

Comment

Clarkson 2-0
            Yale 2-0
            Dartmouth 2-1
            SLU 2-1

Comment

Clarkson 2-0
              Yale 2-1
              Dartmouth 2-0
              SLU 2-1

Comment

Clarkson 2-0
                Yale 2-1
                Dartmouth 2-1
                St. Lawrence 2-0

I want a total goals tie-breaker ! 55.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  As far as anybody from ESPN goes, Buccigross is probably the most knowledgeable about college hockey
                  This does not rebut what I said.

Buccigross may be more knowledgeable about HE or the West, but whenever he has talked about the ECAC he has sounded like a Senator who just memorized five lines given to him by an aide 10 minutes before airtime, misremembering three of them.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I suspect my house cat has a more profound knowledge of the ECAC than John Buccigross.
                    Never underestimate a cat. Dogs are trainable-that does not make them smart in my mind. Cats think-that earns my ultimate respect.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Never underestimate a cat. Dogs are trainable-that does not make them smart in my mind. Cats think-that earns my ultimate respect.
                      I don't really like dogs but the fact that they're trainable and that cats aren't isn't about intelligence, it follows naturally from their evolution. Dogs descend from pack animals who cooperate on hunts -- the ones who are able to work together better have an evolutionary advantage; they also need to be able to suck up more so that weaker or sick individuals aren't driven from the pack (apes work the same way, which is why dog behavior seems familiar to us). Cats descend from solitary hunters where selection favored the suppression of signaling -- if you find the only source of mice in the field, don't go telling everybody. Likewise, the ability to pick up on other cats' signaling wasn't that important. And of course pack animals fall naturally into pecking orders (hence, trainability) while solitary hunters don't (hence the ability of a cat to take your food and ignore you).

Basically, dogs are MBAs and cats are PhDs. Well, I suppose that does underscore the idea that cats are smarter, though.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 03-07-2014, 04:07 PM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

OK, the contest is closed to new prognosticators. With 62 contestants, the final stats for Round 1 are:

5-12 Winner % 2-0 2-1
                        Clark 61 98.39% 55 6
                        Prin 1 1.61% 0 1
                        6-11
                        Yale 57 91.94% 32 25
                        Harv 5 8.06% 0 5
                        7-10
                        RPI 30 48.39% 7 23
                        Dart 32 51.61% 6 26
                        8-9
                        SLU 37 59.68% 14 23
                        Brn 25 40.32% 2 23
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Princeton must have missed our memo that they weren't supposed to win a game

Comment

I don't really like dogs but the fact that they're trainable and that cats aren't isn't about intelligence, it follows naturally from their evolution. Dogs descend from pack animals who cooperate on hunts -- the ones who are able to work together better have an evolutionary advantage; they also need to be able to suck up more so that weaker or sick individuals aren't driven from the pack (apes work the same way, which is why dog behavior seems familiar to us). Cats descend from solitary hunters where selection favored the suppression of signaling -- if you find the only source of mice in the field, don't go telling everybody. Likewise, the ability to pick up on other cats' signaling wasn't that important. And of course pack animals fall naturally into pecking orders (hence, trainability) while solitary hunters don't (hence the ability of a cat to take your food and ignore you).

Basically, dogs are MBAs and cats are PhDs. Well, I suppose that does underscore the idea that cats are smarter, though.
                            Cornell Vet School by chance?

Big win for Princeton tonight. I'm not as dumb as some would believe. SLU in OT win....in fact 2 OTs. Shaping up to be an exciting first round.
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                              Cornell Vet School by chance?

Big win for Princeton tonight. I'm not as dumb as some would believe. SLU in OT win....in fact 2 OTs. Shaping up to be an exciting first round.
                              Princeton TIGERS won because cats are indeed smart. They usually find a way to survive, even when they shold not have-hence the adage about 9 lives.

Comment

All true-and well stated. I had a friend once who bragged about how smart his dog was(Jen and I used to raise German Shepherds and Dobermans). I asked him how long it took him to train his smart dog not to poop on the rug in the house-and he said about 1-2 months. I think it took my mom about a year or two to train me(and I still have a few accidents). We have taken totally feral cats inside after years outdoors-put down a box with litter and voila! In 10 seconds, done-with no mistakes again ever. I know, it proves nothing-but a nice little anecdote anyway.

It all depends on what definition of intelligence you want to use. If you let a cat and dog out in the woods-which one will find and kill food to live? Or which one will come when you call him? The pack mentality is a fine distinction as you are correct that cats are solitary animals(we have litters here that as kittens play with each other all day-but as soon as they mature want to kill each other). But how does that explain female lions in a pride? They are probably the only cats that do exist with a pack mentality.

Just a little diversion here since we have another day or two before this stage of the playoff picking ends and we begin anew.
                                Last edited by DrDemento; 03-08-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X