This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    You know, I will say this: We complain about the shootouts, mostly because we never win them, but those are the rules. Fact of the matter is, we've lost 5 years in a row again. Shootouts, whatever, we've lost. Something has to change at UAA. And I know we're in a transition with the program but this is the one thing that has to change immediately. There's no patience on this one, it has to stop. So no complaining about the shootouts. Instead, what do we do so this never *ing happens again?
    Stop making sense, you're scaring me JimmyJam!!

UAA played much better tonight than last night. Gave the Nanooks little to no chances offensively and were able to beat the Nanooks defense a lot better than last night. Gunderson was also a lot more solid than Kamal. Would have liked to see our seniors get a few points on the night but I guess Kunyk took care of his last night. Beck and Quinn just must be waiting until next weekend.

I find it funny when UAA fans say we won the skill competition but going in to tonight's game they all knew UAA would have to win the game AND the shootout so if UAA would have won the "skills competition", I'm sure many of you would be saying how fantastically wonderful the seawolves are and how awful the Nanooks are.

Can't help but feel the win was a ploy by the WCHA to save money to avoid sending UAA out of state and avoid bringing up someone from the states to Fairbanks. I mean everyone else yesterday made excuses as to why their team lost so I figured I'd throw that out there .

WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP!
    GO NOOKS.

Comment

You know, I will say this: We complain about the shootouts, mostly because we never win them, but those are the rules. Fact of the matter is, we've lost 5 years in a row again. Shootouts, whatever, we've lost. Something has to change at UAA. And I know we're in a transition with the program but this is the one thing that has to change immediately. There's no patience on this one, it has to stop. So no complaining about the shootouts. Instead, what do we do so this never *ing happens again?
      Honestly, if you want to win a shootout you need better skill players.

Other than the goals for difference in favor of UAF, these two teams are statistically very evenly matched. As long as that continues we are going to see a lot of 2-2 season series.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
        I find it funny when UAA fans say we won the skill competition but going in to tonight's game they all knew UAA would have to win the game AND the shootout so if UAA would have won the "skills competition", I'm sure many of you would be saying how fantastically wonderful the seawolves are and how awful the Nanooks are.
        Actually I think most of us thought we had already lost the Cup last night. We knew we weren't gonna win the shootout even if we won the game.

If we had won we would've been shocked.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: UAA @ UA_ It's Never Too Early to Start The Sports Hate

Well JJ, the seawolves represented themselves VERY well today. I know you've got to be happy with that. Defensively, a whole different team. Gunderson did well. Comparatively, Kamal was hung out to dry by the defense, so I feel like he could do just as well.

The UAA fans represented well today, I think. They must have been so quiet yesterday due to the early goal, and by the time they scored there wasn't much to celebrate. Today they made their presence known through the whole game. I honestly didn't see them until that first goal and they came to life, and realized that the UAA contingent was well represented.

I cracked up on the first penalty against the nooks... I think it was Kunyk, called for charging. He got so much air that a figure skater would have been jealous. Not sure what happened there.

I'm with everyone on the shootouts, but in a tourney like ours its a necessary evil. I definitely think it's better than a goals-for tiebreaker. It would have been nice to be able to put the teams staffs together and say "If by the end of the game we KNOW that we'll meet again, no shootout". That would have required a fortune teller because the odds of this happening were pretty low until this weekend. Maybe in later years we'll see an option to do that, since we're almost always going to be the last game of the regular season due to our timezone.

Anyway, my signature stays another year. It's really weird to say that and know we're going to play again. I bet the rest of the WCHA is thrilled, especially NMU.
          Last edited by Methodical; 03-09-2014, 03:17 AM.
          The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

No argument there. We agreed to it. We can't change it. We lost.

edit: The numbers in the last 5 does not shock me. Flat out we haven't been good enough in this series the last 5 years. I mean we've lost 3 shootouts but there's been a handful of games that UAA has gotten blown away and not been good enough.
            Other than 7-2, 7-4, and 5-1, these games have been pretty tight since the 08-09 season.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              Honestly, if you want to win a shootout you need better skill players.

Other than the goals for difference in favor of UAF, these two teams are statistically very evenly matched. As long as that continues we are going to see a lot of 2-2 season series.
              I think we have enough skilled players for a shootout, I just don't think they're very sharp at it. I'm willing to bet it's not seriously practiced at UAA. Goaltending is our big problem actually, Kamal and Gundy are both pretty bad at breakaways and shootouts.

Like you said, with the way this series is going, we've got to start taking these shootouts seriously. I honestly don't think we have and that's a big reason we've lost.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
                Well JJ, the seawolves represented themselves VERY well today. I know you've got to be happy with that. Defensively, a whole different team. Gunderson did well. Comparatively, Kamal was hung out to dry by the defense, so I feel like he could do just as well.

The UAA fans represented well today, I think. They must have been so quiet yesterday due to the early goal, and by the time they scored there wasn't much to celebrate. Today they made their presence known through the whole game. I honestly didn't see them until that first goal and they came to life, and realized that the UAA contingent was well represented.

I cracked up on the first penalty against the nooks... I think it was Kunyk, called for charging. He got so much air that a figure skater would have been jealous. Not sure what happened there.

I'm with everyone on the shootouts, but in a tourney like ours its a necessary evil. I definitely think it's better than a goals-for tiebreaker. It would have been nice to be able to put the teams staffs together and say "If by the end of the game we KNOW that we'll meet again, no shootout". That would have required a fortune teller because the odds of this happening were pretty low until this weekend. Maybe in later years we'll see an option to do that, since we're almost always going to be the last game of the regular season due to our timezone.

Anyway, my signature stays another year. It's really weird to say that and know we're going to play again. I bet the rest of the WCHA is thrilled, especially NMU.
                Would it even bee possible to have a 20 minute OT if the series tied at 2-2? I'd vote for at least a 5 minute OT and then a shootout, like the current ties are dealed with during the regular nWCHA season.
                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  I think we have enough skilled players for a shootout, I just don't think they're very sharp at it. I'm willing to bet it's not seriously practiced at UAA. Goaltending is our big problem actually, Kamal and Gundy are both pretty bad at breakaways and shootouts.

Like you said, with the way this series is going, we've got to start taking these shootouts seriously. I honestly don't think we have and that's a big reason we've lost.
                  Yeah you'd think the previous and current coaching staff would make it more of an emphasis given the recent history of the Governor's Cup.
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    Other than 7-2, 7-4, and 5-1, these games have been pretty tight since the 08-09 season.
                    3-1 in 2012 wasn't very close in reality, we scored first but after that we got blown away. Last season at the Sully was 3-1 but it wasn't close either (that was the game in our minds that got Shyiak fired), the first goal was less then a minute in and it was over after that.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

MMF - Hurry up and post the new signature line!

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                        Stop making sense, you're scaring me JimmyJam!!

UAA played much better tonight than last night. Gave the Nanooks little to no chances offensively and were able to beat the Nanooks defense a lot better than last night. Gunderson was also a lot more solid than Kamal. Would have liked to see our seniors get a few points on the night but I guess Kunyk took care of his last night. Beck and Quinn just must be waiting until next weekend.

Can't help but feel the win was a ploy by the WCHA to save money to avoid sending UAA out of state and avoid bringing up someone from the states to Fairbanks. I mean everyone else yesterday made excuses as to why their team lost so I figured I'd throw that out there .

WHO GOT THE CUP? WE GOT THE CUP!
                        GO NOOKS.
                        Please use the term "lower 48" and not the "states." We are a State in the Union!!!! Ugh!

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                          Would it even bee possible to have a 20 minute OT if the series tied at 2-2? I'd vote for at least a 5 minute OT and then a shootout, like the current ties are dealed with during the regular nWCHA season.
                          I don't know. I kind of doubt it's allowed, or if it is, maybe just not feasible. I mean, we'd probably need permission from the ncaa and wcha. I don't know if I've ever heard of a conference game being modified for non-conference reasons to have an overtime period which didn't count. I wonder how hard it is to arrange that. I bet there's a lot of red tape.
                          Last edited by Methodical; 03-09-2014, 03:48 AM.
                          The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            Yeah you'd think the previous and current coaching staff would make it more of an emphasis given the recent history of the Governor's Cup.
                            I'd hate to say it, but I openly question how much they actually care about it. I know they talk like it but in actions on the ice it seems like they don't care as much as they should.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

3-1 in 2012 wasn't very close in reality, we scored first but after that we got blown away. Last season at the Sully was 3-1 but it wasn't close either (that was the game in our minds that got Shyiak fired), the first goal was less then a minute in and it was over after that.
                              The beginning of the end for Shyiak was the 2010 gov cup and the water bottle game. You kept him two seasons longer than you should have but that Final Five trip bought him extra time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                                Please use the term "lower 48" and not the "states." We are a State in the Union!!!! Ugh!

Maybe I could use the term Continental US? Nah, no thanks. I'll say what I want when it comes to that issue, we all have our own ways that we refer to those other states and I definitely don't plan on changing it to please you. Thanks for the history lesson though.

Comment

Working...
                                X