Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 - ECAC-West News, Notes, and Useless Banter

Official ECAC Release

CENTERVILLE, Mass. - The Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) announced its 2013-2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey All-Conference teams today. Plattsburgh State senior goaltender Sydney Aveson (West Covina, Calif.) was named the ECAC Women’s West Player of the Year, and Cardinals’ Head Coach Kevin Houle was voted by his peers as the ECAC Women’s West Coach of the Year for the sixth time. Elmira College junior defensemen Brooke Wilgosh (Regina, Saskatchewan) was selected Defensive Player of the Year and Potsdam State freshman forward Jordan Ott (Hilton, N.Y.) was voted Rookie of the Year. The voting for the ECAC Women’s West All-Conference Teams and major award winners was completed by the head coaches within the ECAC Women’s West.

Aveson posted a 17-1-1 record in goal for the Cardinals this season, leading the country in goals against average (0.37) after surrendering just seven goals in Plattsburgh’s first 25 games. In 1146:40 minutes of action, she recorded the nation’s best save percentage (.980) and has the most shutouts in the country with 13. She was named the ECAC Women’s West Goaltender of the Week seven times, her most recent coming after back-to-back shutouts in a sweep over Oswego State.

Wilgosh anchored the Soaring Eagle defense, which was the second-best scoring defense in the conference and was among the top-five in the country. Offensively, Wilgosh leads the conference in defenseman scoring, netting seven goals and handing out 19 assists for 26 points during the regular season. She was named the ECAC Women’s West Player of the Week on Nov. 20, after collecting five points in a weekend sweep of SUNY Potsdam.

Ott led the Potsdam Bears to a 12-9-4 overall record and 7-5-4 conference mark to secure the No. 5 seed in the ECAC Women’s West Tournament. She is the top-scoring freshman in the conference, notching 22 goals and recording 14 assists for 36 points. She is second in the nation in goals per game and is among the top-10 in points per game. Ott was named ECAC Women’s West Rookie of the Week eight times this season.

Houle earned his sixth Coach of the Year honor after guiding the Cardinals to a share of the ECAC Women’s West regular season crown with a 15-1 conference record and a 23-1-1 overall record. In his eleven seasons behind the bench, Houle has compiled a 256-42-20 record and owns an .836 winning percentage, which ranks first among all active women’s coaches. During his tenure, Plattsburgh has qualified for the NCAA Tournament nine times, while winning eight conference regular-season titles and three ECAC Women’s West Tournament Championships.

The 2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey Tournament begins on Saturday March 1 and concludes Sunday, March 9. The semifinals and finals will take place on Saturday, March 8 and Sunday March 9 at Plattsburgh’s Ronald B. Stafford Ice Arena. For more information regarding the 2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey Tournament, including scores, game times and locations, visit www.ecacdiiihockey.com.

2013-2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey Major Award Winners

Player of the Year

Sydney Aveson, G, Sr., Plattsburgh State

Defensive Player of the Year

Brooke Wilgosh, D, Jr., Elmira College

Rookie of the Year

Jordan Ott, F, Fr., Potsdam State

Coach of the Year

Kevin Houle, Plattsburgh State

2013-2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey First Team All-Conference

Forward

Ashley Ryan, Jr., Elmira College

Tanis Lamoureux, Sr., Elmira College

Shannon Stewart, Jr., Plattsburgh State

Defense

Brooke Wilgosh, Jr., Elmira College

Allison Era, Sr., Plattsburgh State

Goaltender

Sydney Aveson, Sr., Plattsburgh State

2013-2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey Second Team All-Conference

Forward

Megan Myers, Sr., Utica College

Jordan Ott, Fr., Potsdam State

Ali Vakos, Sr., Plattsburgh State

Defense

Jocelyn St. Clair, Sr., Oswego State

Alyssa Parke, Jr., Plattsburgh State

Goaltender

Lisa Marshall, Sr., Elmira College

2013-2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey Honorable Mention

Forward

Bridget Balisy, So., Plattsburgh State

Kara Goodwin, Jr., Buffalo State

Melissa Seamont, Sr., Oswego State

Defense

Brittany Lucky, Sr., Potsdam State

2013-2014 ECAC Women’s West Hockey All-Rookie Team

Forward

Jordan Ott, Fr., Potsdam State

Gabrielle Schnepp, Fr., Utica College

Meghan Power, Fr., Neumann University

Defense

Julia Duquette, Fr., Plattsburgh State

Allison Ullrich, Fr., Oswego State

Goaltender

Keira Goin, Fr., Utica College

Abby Tardelli, Fr., Potsdam State

Re: D3 - ECAC-West News, Notes, and Useless Banter

Check out the stats on Ms Aveson....absolutely jaw dropping!! Congrats young lady!! Time to clinch that National Championship!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
      Check out the stats on Ms Aveson....absolutely jaw dropping!! Congrats young lady!! Time to clinch that National Championship!!
      How did she not end up on a D1 roster? And might she not next season?

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
          She started out at a D1 school and transferred to Plattsburgh. Her eligibility is used up after this season.

Comment

Can someone tell me how Plattsburgh is hosting the semifinals/finals? I thought they split their series w/ Elmira, so what is the tiebreaker that gives them the #1 seed?
            Thx
            C O L G A T E
            2023 ECAC CHAMPION
            1990 NCAA FINALS
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
              Can someone tell me how Plattsburgh is hosting the semifinals/finals? I thought they split their series w/ Elmira, so what is the tiebreaker that gives them the #1 seed?
              Thx
              I believe that I read that it was a coin flip. No...really.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                I believe that I read that it was a coin flip. No...really.
                And that was a surprise to Cardinal fans at the end of the season. Everyone I know (and I admit, it's no one with inside knowledge) thought that record against common opponents was one of the criteria, which would have clearly gone to Plattsburgh. A google search of the tiebreakers would only produce a 2008 list of tiebreakers (which Plattsburgh would have won on the second or third criteria). No one that I can find seems to know when the rules were changed and when anyone in Plattsburgh knew about them.

At any rate, I thought it was very predictable in the current ECAC West that this would come down to a coin flip, which is ridiculous. I think the ECAC needs to tweak the tiebreakers again so that it's never left to the toss of a coin. There's a huge difference between playing this weekend in Plattsburgh and playing it in Elmira for those two teams.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by tchrbill View Post
                  can someone tell me how plattsburgh is hosting the semifinals/finals? I thought they split their series w/ elmira, so what is the tiebreaker that gives them the #1 seed?
                  Thx
                  this is all explained in great detail on this site: www.d3hockey.com

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Plattsburgh and Elmira will faceoff tomorrow at 3PM for the ECAC West Title. Don't forget to set your clocks ahead!!!

Comment

Does the non-winning team still get in?

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                        Does the non-winning team still get in?
                        Plattsburgh is in win or lose.

Comment

OK - what about EC?

Comment

Originally posted by 123kidd View Post
                            OK - what about EC?
                            I'd say that depends on whether their progress this weekend was enough to move them ahead off Middlebury in the NCAA rankings...which we won't know.

If Plattsburgh wins, I'd assume that it will be either middlebury or elmira and UWSP, UWRF making the NCAA's
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

So what does everyone think about Gustavus going out for the Cardinal/Panther Classic in November 2014?
                              4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
                              SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Comment

Working...
                              X