Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I have absolutely no reference since this is my first F4, but I'm getting the impression from a lot of the veterans that this has been, speaking only of the cost and planning, one of the below average showings... Which is absolutely bizarre considering the teams in the tournament.
    I wouldn't read too much in to some of these posts. Some seem to me to be hypercritical. Keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself in Philly. This FF has all the ingredients, in my view, for a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
      Steaks at Geno's, and if you're still hungry after one, try Pat's.
      Everything I've read makes it sound like it's easy to do much better than these two joints.

Comment

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
        I wouldn't read too much in to some of these posts. Some seem to me to be hypercritical. Keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself in Philly. This FF has all the ingredients, in my view, for a classic.
        Could be. If we're "assigning scores" I think the quality of the hockey and in-game atmosphere has about a 75% weight for the final "score". The rest of it is small potatoes compared to that.

I'm excited to see Philly for the first time, but it just feels like everything is being put together at the last moment. Just a feeling.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Everything I've read makes it sound like it's easy to do much better than these two joints.
          You're right, Jimmy's Steaks on South Street is much better and South Street is a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            I'm not even from Philly and that's my understanding as well. These are just the two loudest stands. Either way, I'll take any suggestions I can get and I'll probably stop by both before I leave.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

You're right, Jimmy's Steaks on South Street is much better and South Street is a lot of fun.
              John's Roast Pork seems like it might be the best cheesesteak in the city despite its name (which is also probably tasty). Location is tough for travelers, though.

Comment

I'm not even from Philly and that's my understanding as well. These are just the two loudest stands. Either way, I'll take any suggestions I can get and I'll probably stop by both before I leave.
                I'll be hitting up the Reading Terminal Market (potentially multiple times with all the good choices), and the "Best Sandwich in America" will be consumed at least once.

Comment

Could be. If we're "assigning scores" I think the quality of the hockey and in-game atmosphere has about a 75% weight for the final "score". The rest of it is small potatoes compared to that.

I'm excited to see Philly for the first time, but it just feels like everything is being put together at the last moment. Just a feeling.
                  I'm in South Jersey and sense that the buzz is starting to build. There are a couple of articles in the papers today, primarily about Gaudreau, because he's a local kid and there are six others with ties to the area. Also, lots of talk about Gostisbehere and Parks because they're future Flyers.

The Philly sports complex setup is one of the best in the country and when fans get her they'll be psyched.

Comment

Will there be tailgating allowed in the lots? I know the bar situation around the rink is slim but there's a ton of parking areas to serve all 3 arenas
                    Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                      Will there be tailgating allowed in the lots? I know the bar situation around the rink is slim but there's a ton of parking areas to serve all 3 arenas
                      I thought you and Mav had this all settled!?!? Gonna be the pre-game party of the year
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        There will be plenty of tailgating as there is at any Philly sporting event. I'm not sure if you've been at the Sports Complex recently as I wouldn't call the bar scene thin. XFINITY LIVE has multiple bars and restaurants indoor and out(weather permitting) and Chickie's and Pete's is a relatively short walk from the Complex. McFadden's sports bar is attached to the Phillies ballpark.

Comment

• Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
                          Last year Monty (UMLFan), at least I think it was Monty talked to a group who do not much more than tour the local breweries. That should keep one plenty busy.

Two weeks, plenty of time for research. I'm not in a position to make the F4 an annual thing yet (personal issues) but to me if you don't have any ideas then you aren't really trying.

We found plenty to do in Pittsburgh without an official welcome guide... Of course, I had a team in it so it was easier to fit the schedule. Also remember that USCHO and CHN will sponsor events through the week. For those that haven't been I felt the writers and the rest were rather approachable.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                            Now I know why you are staying in AC.
                            We noticed that after making the hotel reservations. An unexpected bonus. Probably won't see a lot of hockey jerseys but I would guess plenty of other interesting things.
                            Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

You might have the wrong McFadden's. There is a McFadden's attached to Citizens Bank Park, an easy walk from the arena. The 3rd Street location is in Olde City, several miles from the Sports Complex. Plug McFadden's Citizen Bank Park into a search engine. It's a fun spot and there will be a ton of Phillies fans there.
                              No, its the one on N 3rd.
                              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
                                No, its the one on N 3rd.
                                I can't think of an easy public transportation option for you. You could catch a Market Street bus up to the Broad Street subway line but that would take too much time. Your best option is a cab. The cabbie can hop on 95 South or Delaware Ave. and get you down to Wells Fargo in less than a half hour, depending on traffic.

Olde City is great and you should have a super time.

Comment

Working...
                                X