Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Frozen Four Info Thread

Originally posted by hobeydog View Post
    The Sports Complex area, where the three sports venues are located, is in South Philly about 5 miles from Center City, accessible via the Broad Street subway line. The Broad Street line is safe and popular with sports fans. That said, I would not venture into North Philly on the Broad Street line (north of the City Hall station) at night. South Philly is a predominately Italian neighborhood.

Center City Philly is the area bounded by the Delaware River on the east, the Schuylkill River on the west, the Vine Expressway on the north and South Street on the south. It's a very active downtown core and also very residential. The Olde City, Society Hill, South Street area is along the Delaware River. The museums are along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway which runs from City Hall(the geographic center of town at Broad and Market) to the Art Museum. Boat House Row is along the Schuylkill behind the Art Museum.

The numbered streets run north/south from the Delaware River(2nd Street to the Amtrak rail station 30th street)just across the Schuylkill River. Broad Street is the equivalent of 14th Street. The main east/west streets are Vine on the north then, Race, Arch, Chestnut, Walnut, Locust, Pine and South.

Philly's Walnut Street from Broad to Rittenhouse Square is their "Fifth Avenue" along with the stretch along 18th Street from the Square to the Four Seasons Hotel at 18th and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway.

I consider both the Sports Complex area and Center City very safe(I haven't had any problem in 40 years). I don't see any compelling reason for you to visit North Philly, West Philly( west of the Penn campus in University City) or Camden,NJ. If the ferries are running from Penn's Landing to the Battleship New Jersey or the Aquarium on the Camden waterfront, that's OK.

If you plug any of those possibilities into a search engine, there should be a good description of their attractions.
    UPenn neighborhood is a nice area with lots of good places to eat/drink.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
      BoSox Yanks in the Bronx Friday night
      Already heading up for that and a day in the city with my family from NNY who is coming down to NYC for a few days anyways.

Comment

UPenn neighborhood is a nice area with lots of good places to eat/drink.
        Good point. I enjoy the Penn Campus and there are some iconic sports venues on campus: Franklin Field(where the oft-mentioned Santa Claus booing incident took place in the 1960's, no less), the Palestra and the Class of 1923 rink. Penn is technically in West Philly but the University City neighborhood is fine and fun.

Comment

Nick. Downtown, aka Center City is a great place . Philly has some bad rep but not because of this area and it's where the main attractions are and lots of good food and drink

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            if you are there <2hrs and get your ticket stamped by a vendor when you buy something it is discounted (mookie has seen)
            Is the Mitchell & Ness store walking distance to the Reading Market? Maybe park near the store and walk to the market? Have not seen, but am hoping to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by joegrav View Post
              I think a lot of people "cheerlead" for these events to fall short of a sellout because of how ridiculous the base prices are, PLUS then you add on the ticket company fees. They basically know they are whacking the same small but loyal constituency over and over again for big bucks at college hockey events. Most of the people dropping $210 on these Frozen Four tickets just shelled out $90 two weeks ago for regionals tickets.

I bought tickets in advance because my team is in it. But if they weren't, I would have just gone down on day of game and tried to scalp from someone dumping an extra, knowing full well they are generally easy to get for at or below face on game day, w/o fees. I bet a lot of people are in the same boat.

They'd probably have a better chance of getting actual locals interested in attending if they charged a reasonable price where one could actually take a family or some friends. Oh well.
              Agreed. I don't think people are actively rooting for there to be a crap turnout. I completely agree with you about the price. I have never been to a F4 before and my jaw dropped when I saw the cost of tickets. I thought there was some sort of error on the website. $220 for a GD upperdeck ticket? I specifically didn't go to regionals because I didn't want to spend that kind of cash on tickets when there was a chance I'd be going to F4 and have to shell out real dough, even though the regional games were at home. If the Goofs weren't in the F4 this year, I wouldn't have gone. Way, way too spendy.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Is the Mitchell & Ness store walking distance to the Reading Market? Maybe park near the store and walk to the market? Have not seen, but am hoping to believe.
                The flagship location is at 12th and Chestnut, a couple of blocks south of the Reading Market at 12th and Arch. There is also a shop inside XFINITY LIVE at the Sports Complex.

Comment

Thursday, April 10, 2014 NBC Sports Arena: 11am - Close
                  Broad Street Bullies: 11AM-Close
                  Spectrum Grill: 5pm - Close
                  Victory Beer Hall:2pm - Close
                  PBR Bar and Grill: 2pm - Close
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Yes
                    Google maps told Mookie the other day - 5 min walk
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Parking in Center City, like all big east coast cities, is a bit of a hassle and can be expensive. Center City will be very busy on Thursday and Friday, it will ease up a bit on Saturday and more on Sunday. I would suggest parking in a PPA(Philadelphia Parking Authority) lot for best value and take advantage of an early bird rate and leave your car for a chunk of time rather than move around and hit multiple max rates($20 to $30)

For the Market East area, there is a lot at 8th and Filbert with an early bird $11 max rate. On the west side of CC, there is a lot and 19th and Callowhill. Check the PPA website for details. I find the on-street parking game on a work day impossible in CC. Philly uses the kiosk system and the machines invariably eat my bills and don't spit out a ticket plus it takes an engineering degree to figure out how to use the things. Parking rules are vigorously enforced and I think the minimum fine is $36.

The Reading Terminal Market is fantastic but those of you that like an open-air, let's say "earthier authenticity", check out the famous Italian Market in South Philly. It's on 9th Street between Washington and Catherine(remember Rocky running through the market in the movie). All kinds of great places.

For more sophisticated shoppers, check out Liberty Place at 16th and Chestnut and the shops underneath the Comcast Center at 18th and Arch. Take a look inside the lobby of the Comcast Center for their glitzy digital display.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        Thursday, April 10, 2014 NBC Sports Arena: 11am - Close
                        Broad Street Bullies: 11AM-Close
                        Spectrum Grill: 5pm - Close
                        Victory Beer Hall:2pm - Close
                        PBR Bar and Grill: 2pm - Close
                        So the bars are open until they're closed in Philly? What a backwards city.

Comment

does that mean you get to "close" the bar whenever you want? don't forget to turn off the lights!

Comment

BoSox Yanks in the Bronx Friday night
                            Not a great idea IMO. You're talking about getting on an Amtrak at around 4pm to be sure to get there on time, two subway lines each way (a hassle if you're not used to it) or an expensive round trip cab ride, then possibly having to leave the game early (Yanks-Red Sox games ALWAYS take a long time) to make the return train at 11:15 and back to Philly around 1am, or if not the next train isn't until 3am. And it's ~$150 RT per person on Amtrak, plus local travel in NYC, plus however much you'll spend for the game tickets. Or if you drive it's Friday NYC rush hour traffic. Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me (bearing in mind that I'm not a Yanks or Red Sox fan, and live in NYC so there's no novelty factor for me). If you're going to do it, you really should do a day trip to make the travel (time and expenditure) worthwhile.
                            Cornell University Men's Hockey
                            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

as a red sox fan, sox-yanks games are overrated for the simple fact they routinely take around 3.5-4 hours. not fun if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                as a red sox fan, sox-yanks games are overrated for the simple fact they routinely take around 3.5-4 hours. not fun if you ask me.
                                OMG this. So much this.

Comment

Working...
                                X