X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>>>> RIT TIGERS - Final Game at Ritter/Playoffs <<<<<

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
    What does RIT offer to these picks that Canisius, Niagara, or even Mercyhurts doesn't? A few more fans. Okay, but if the team isn't showing up neither are the fans. Clearly they've been capitalizing on RIT's FF run the last few years, more so than RIT itself.
    I have no clue what point you're trying to make but to answer your question....Better academics is one thing RIT has to offer. And until recently a better team to play on. Better atmosphere in Ritter. And with the new arena that will be light years better than those three current rinks. Heck Ritter was way better than any of those college's rinks.

Who has been capitalizing on RIT FF run? Certainly not RIT. The latest recruits are certainly not better than before the FF run or at least the on ice performance isn't better. And if one believes some people here (I don't), the FF run isn't/wasn't a big recruiting tool anyway.
    My Four Favorite teams:
    RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
    Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
      I think all that one needs to do is take a look at the rosters of other colleges that are considered to be academically superior to see that your assertion that players of higher hockey talent will not come to a place like RIT with it's academic requirements is false.
      Those programs are also better hockey programs, and by and large full D1 schools. Yale and Harvard are several cuts above RIT on the ice, and several miles above academically. RPI is our superior academically, and also has had greater success in a greater conference than RIT. These programs aren't leaning exclusively on their academics, they are using them as a nice bonus but they can sell their hockey achievements first and foremost.

Within the AHA, RIT is probably one of the better academic institutions, which perhaps explains why we have traditionally had the most superior players in the league. We also had a great D3 program that I'm sure helped in early D1 recruitment. The comparison you're trying to make isn't very fair/accurate.

Is RIT going to get 1st or 2nd round draft picks? No, but could later round picks be successfully recruited? Yes, I think they could and should be by now and certainly should be in the near future if one is to believe the building argument. One by one the excuses that people here are using for the lack of recruiting are being eliminated with the exception of the quality of the AHA, which is outside of RIT's control.
      How exactly have you been able to determine what kind of recruits RIT can bring in? We've had exactly 1 draft pick (7th rounder) in our D1 history. Maybe we will be able to with the new building, maybe we won't. Though I believe it will help in recruiting, I'm not sure it takes us from essentially no draft picks to a team with a significant number of (even low) draft pick players. I would conservatively hope that it helps us acquire more talented players, but not necessarily those on the draft boards. The Tanev, Brenner, Favot, Madolora, and Burt's of the world.
      RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        Those programs are also better hockey programs, and by and large full D1 schools. Yale and Harvard are several cuts above RIT on the ice, and several miles above academically. RPI is our superior academically, and also has had greater success in a greater conference than RIT. These programs aren't leaning exclusively on their academics, they are using them as a nice bonus but they can sell their hockey achievements first and foremost.

Within the AHA, RIT is probably one of the better academic institutions, which perhaps explains why we have traditionally had the most superior players in the league. We also had a great D3 program that I'm sure helped in early D1 recruitment. The comparison you're trying to make isn't very fair/accurate.
        You said:
        As for educational quality...if you're a high caliber recruit who has a legitimate shot of going pro and/or has already been drafted...do you really care? You want to go where you get the most exposure and the best possibility to take your career to the next level.
        I rebutted that statement as false in that there are plenty of colleges that have high academic standards that are, at least by NHL drafting, high caliber recruits. I did not say RIT was going to all of a sudden start getting the same recruits as say Harvard who gets 7 NHL draft picks on their 13-14 team. The main point I was trying to make is that using RIT's academic standards as reason for lower level recruiting is not acceptable to me. Other colleges have that same problem and yet they overcome it so I think Wilson should be able to also.

On a side note, I would not consider RPI to be academically superior to RIT. I think they are relatively on par. For sure RPI does not have the superiority above RIT that a Ivy does. But I digress.

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
        How exactly have you been able to determine what kind of recruits RIT can bring in? We've had exactly 1 draft pick (7th rounder) in our D1 history. Maybe we will be able to with the new building, maybe we won't. Though I believe it will help in recruiting, I'm not sure it takes us from essentially no draft picks to a team with a significant number of (even low) draft pick players. I would conservatively hope that it helps us acquire more talented players, but not necessarily those on the draft boards. The Tanev, Brenner, Favot, Madolora, and Burt's of the world.
        I can’t determine it for certain. That is why I said I think they should be able to get better players. I think you read too much into my statement or I was not clear enough. It is my belief that this far into RIT's DI era, RIT should be able to recruit say 2-3 low round NHL draft players per four year cycle. In other words I think RIT should have at any one time 2-4 NHL drafted players on their roster. I never mentioned, and did not mean to imply, that RIT should or will have in the near future a “significant number of (even low) draft pick players”. Unless by significant you mean more than 1.
        Last edited by MattS; 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM.
        My Four Favorite teams:

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Like I said, the atmosphere is great at Ritter when the fans are happy. I don't know that academics is the biggest deciding factor for players serious about hockey. Sure, it helps and I'm glad RIT is a strong institute academically, but I don't see the degree we offer being stronger than one someone can get at Wisconsin, DU, UM, etc.

When I said "they" capitalized from our Frozen Four run, I meant most of the other teams in the AHA. As we've seen year after year the teams with scholarships are getting stronger and RIT is sinking.

I have no clue what point you're trying to make but to answer your question....Better academics is one thing RIT has to offer. And until recently a better team to play on. Better atmosphere in Ritter. And with the new arena that will be light years better than those three current rinks. Heck Ritter was way better than any of those college's rinks.

Who has been capitalizing on RIT FF run? Certainly not RIT. The latest recruits are certainly not better than before the FF run or at least the on ice performance isn't better. And if one believes some people here (I don't), the FF run isn't/wasn't a big recruiting tool anyway.
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Like I said, the atmosphere is great at Ritter when the fans are happy. I don't know that academics is the biggest deciding factor for players serious about hockey. Sure, it helps and I'm glad RIT is a strong institute academically, but I don't see the degree we offer being stronger than one someone can get at Wisconsin, DU, UM, etc.
            I don't have any illusions that RIT is competing with Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, North Dakota, etc for recruits. I think they should be competing with obviously everyone in the AHA plus teams like Clarkson, St. Lawrence, RPI, etc. Schools that have good academics but are not the typical athletic powerhouses.

When I said "they" capitalized from our Frozen Four run, I meant most of the other teams in the AHA. As we've seen year after year the teams with scholarships are getting stronger and RIT is sinking.
            Got it. And I agree.
            My Four Favorite teams:

Comment

RIT should invest in medical degrees with the amount of injuries they have had the last couple years. Anyone who doesn't think that injuries have not played a part in the disappointing records is fooling themselves. It certainly is not the only factor, but I believe it's played it's part.

I maintain I though many of the Tiger underclassmen played well last year. They are going to be the cornerstone of what hopefully will be a turnaround. I was surprised that no Tiger made the all rookie team.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Honestly? We don't. We never have. Things aren't exactly changing much for RIT or the AHA, so why expect a change in results?
                You missed my point. Yes, we haven't gotten there yet. But THEMICK failed to offer an explanation for why "It is just not going to happen." We know now the lack of scholarships does not preclude the ability to beat the other 48 teams on a consistent basis. So what's left?

Powers &8^]

Comment

I think your far off the target if you think RIT’s problem has been that they have been out recruited by other AHA teams. I find the logic that players would go to another AHA school other than RIT because RIT went to the frozen four a little confusing. Not to say that there are ways for RIT to improve recruiting, as I spelled out recently with UCONN was able to up their recruiting by changing leagues. If you go through the commitment lists the last two years I would argue RIT been near if not at the top of the league.

You have to remember, no one was knocking down Chris Tanev’s door when Wayne Wilson signed him. He fall under the radar playing with Stamkos and Subban. Wilson and Hills have done their homework on guys but there is some luck involve in it. Sometimes that luck turns bad. Ruby and Hamburg would have been just as attractive to any other AHA team. Things have not really worked out all the great for them.

When you get down to the last two years I think it really adds up to injuries plus some recruits that just did not pan out as expected. Especially on the defensive end, the goaltending situation has been well documented. RIT had to many defenseman to interested in playing offense than defense. As I said during the season the injuries made a bad situation a calamity. Really saw how deeper the team was at Center when Garbowsky came back.

Everyone just calm down, last two seasons will not be the norm, so go fishing or something…
                  Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule
                  Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Everyone just calm down, last two seasons will not be the norm, so go fishing or something…
                    Funny Tom..well I decided to go do something. I had the opportunity to visit Quinnipiac and since they have a new rink I decided to take a few pictures. Ice was just out after hosting the Womens D1 Championship and the scoreboard was lowered but with about capacity for 3,300 I found myself envisioning what the Polisseni Center will look like when complete. Here are some of the pictures I took last Saturday. I took all kinds of pictures to show the mezzanine, handicapped seating, bathrooms, broadcast areas and even the plexiglass box for the goal judge. Hope this works.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10669...83361441813233
                    Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 04-15-2014, 08:32 PM.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                      I think your far off the target if you think RIT’s problem has been that they have been out recruited by other AHA teams. I find the logic that players would go to another AHA school other than RIT because RIT went to the frozen four a little confusing.
                      It's not that hard to think through.

Step 1. Player realizes the AHA has the potential to get seen on the national stage, thanks to RIT.
                      Step 2. Player realized packages offered by most other schools are better than RIT.
                      Step 3. RIT has been out recruited.

RIT has been outclassed these last two seasons by a few teams (Niagara, Mercyhurt), and Canisius, Canisius, and RoMo have no problems getting W's against us. Perhaps it can all be lumped of the shoulders on injuries. Perhaps those schools have been taking in the better talent.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Some new interior pictures on the Polisseni https://www.facebook.com/RIT.Ice.Arena page. Lot's of work done since the last update.
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by NYhockeyguy View Post
                          Hello RIT fans! I wanted to introduce myself as I sent in my admission deposit to RIT this morning! My name is Ryan and I have been posting on USCHO for a few years now on the RPI threads. I grew up about 20 minutes away from RPI and have grown into a major college hockey fan. As my main focus over the last few years has been on ECAC hockey, it may take some time for me to fully acclimate to Atlantic Hockey, but I look forward to getting to know all of you and becoming a regular contributor over here. Go Tigers!

Hey and welcome to *****in season........it should get better once the schedule comes out and the season gets closer and we can actually talk about the game of hockey and the new arena.

Summer well!
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HckLoxOrDa4#t=826

In this video Beautiful Melissa says 4,200 seats in the new Arena.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3229515&type=1

There seems to be standing room in these new pictures. Will we ever know for sure if there is before opening day?
                            R I T HOCKEY
                            Frozen Four
                            Elite Eight
                            NCAA Tournament
                            2010-2015-2016
                            RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

I couldn't find the quote from that video, but that seems in line with what we're expecting. I'm so excited to come back to Roc next fall for this and the BC game.

Originally posted by Rochester View Post

There seems to be standing room in these new pictures. Will we ever know for sure if there is before opening day?
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post

I've also heard the same. I have heard there is standing room, but only along 3/4 of the rink. Behind the Home bench on the concourse level are two boxes. You won't be able to walk all the way around the concourse unless you have a box ticket I've heard.
                                Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                                College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                                Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016 2024
                                Men's Frozen Four 2010
                                Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                                Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X