Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red White Bleeding Blue...

Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
    IIRC, 2 yrs ago when Merrimack did the same deal for the QFs the money actually came from boosters, not the AD's budget.
    Yes...

Comment

I can only hope that the officials for the game on Saturday don't ride up on the Merrimack buses like they probably ended up doing last weekend when they more than likely traveled on the Providence team bus.

That video clip that someone posted a few weeks ago when Maine played Merrimack in the playoffs at Alfond a few years ago when Abbott was called for a dive off of a faceoff explains everything because you really have to see it to believe it.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
        I can only hope that the officials for the game on Saturday don't ride up on the Merrimack buses like they probably ended up doing last weekend when they more than likely traveled on the Providence team bus.

That video clip that someone posted a few weeks ago when Maine played Merrimack in the playoffs at Alfond a few years ago when Abbott was called for a dive off of a faceoff explains everything because you really have to see it to believe it.
        Just for the record, PC fans were complaining about the officiating atmaind also
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
          I'm not going to disagree. I just think it's irrelevant. In my 4th decade of watching Maine hockey (yeah, I'm cheating and counting the late 80s as a full decade), it's becoming increasingly clear just how much Maine caught lightning in a bottle with Walsh.

He's gone. There was never any point in comparing TW to Walsh. The comparison is between TW and other candidates, all of whom share one thing in common (they're not Walsh, either).

I think there's potential with Red, and there are some promising early signs, but it's still all promise at this point. If Maine is going to rejoin the upper ranks of college hockey (maybe not at the very top, but consistently top 10 or 12) . . . we're not going to know until 2020 at the earliest. It'll take time to get there, and even if he gets there, it'll take a few more seasons to demonstrate Maine can stay there.

On the other hand, if Red doesn't work out, it's probably not going to take 6-7 years to find out.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I hope we don't find out where Maine stands for a good long while.
          ABSOLUTELY. My response was just in frustration of people who claim that players like Dumoulin and Gillies would never even consider Maine because they wanted to go to school out of state. I would like to know how much of an effort TW actually put into recruiting such players. Other highly-projected players have gone elsewhere under his tutelage including Billet, the Hart's, and even Anthoine's brother among others. 20 years ago, you could count on one hand how many players in the state could even be considered, but with the popularity and passion that grew from Walsh's success along with the progression of the Junior leagues in the US, a lot more kids from Maine now have a chance to play at the D1 level and I think it only helps the program when these kids are recruited to go there rather than out of state. There is also the chance for a "diamond" in the rough a lot like Mike McHugh and Eric Fenton were as they weren't even regarded D1 prospects coming out of NYA and they both turned out pretty exceptional. I like Red a lot and am willing to be patient as he builds the program his way. I just hope that any potential kids from Maine will always put it at/near the top of their list when thinking about schools, something that I think disappeared the longer TW was allowed to drive it into the ground.

Comment

http://youtu.be/SmIVPFQ-WS8
            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

793 seats remain for Saturday. 25 chair backs, 142 lower bowl bleachers. 524 upper bowl, 102 balcony.

Comment

Could you please stop crying about the officiating?

Comment

I wasn't crying, just saying that it was a pathetic excuse for officiating and that I haven't let it go yet For the record, on the Coach's show on Wednesday Red was asked about the officiating, and he said that of course he couldn't comment on it, and all he could do was "shake my head at it." Just because he can't comment doesn't mean that I can't and shouldn't.

Thanks for posting that video, Erix. I haven't gotten over that one yet either!

Comment

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/03/0...aturday-night/

Brilliant
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      It is brilliant......and ballsy. It's about time that someone up there realizes that people aren't showing up because they are stuck to their couches.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Maybe next time the contract comes up the university can take into account the inflexible nature of its current broadcast partner. In the meantime they are respecting the deal they already have. What a terrible lesson to teach students.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Maybe next time the contract comes up the university can take into account the inflexible nature of its current broadcast partner. In the meantime they are respecting the deal they already have. What a terrible lesson to teach students.
                          Apparently they had a contract for regular season games not playoff games.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            I understand that. However, they are respecting the wishes of its broadcast partner by not granting WABI the ability to carry the game. Agree or not, the university is displaying integrity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              I understand that. However, they are respecting the wishes of its broadcast partner by not granting WABI the ability to carry the game. Agree or not, the university is displaying integrity.
                              Don't they have a longer history with WABI? How about a little respect for the fans? I really don't think games being on tv is what has driven down attendance, ridiculous prices and subpar performances in past years has. You should keep in mind there are a fair amount of older folks in eastern maine who have no interest in going but I'm sure would enjoy watching it on tv. This is a bad start for the AD in my opinion.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Any time you decrease exposure to an event you are not generating additional interest. Take the chicago blackhawks in the 90s and early 00...the owner stopped televising the games to try to get people to fill the seats...creating even less interest. Once they finally got back on tv they have one of the most rabid fan bases in hockey.

I don't see why, if abc can't for whatever reason do the game, why wabi can't then pick it up. How can a home playoff game come as a surprise? And how can one network be ready at the drop of a hat and another not? I think it's ridiculous that Maine is limiting exposure to their one premier sport. I don't think it is an issue of integrity as we have seen UMaine sell out time and time again...wzon,website, etc. If this is a strategy to try to get seats filled, its the wrong one. Increase exposure and in the long run people will come to the games.
                                New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

Working...
                                X