Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2/28, 3/2 Wolverines vs Buckeyes Thread

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
    Not sure I would group WI's trap game with MN and MI's style of play. Even if they were able to alter it for a game or two, it won't take long to revert back to the only style they know.
    I would not call what I saw a trap. The game flowed up and down the rink realy quickly, which meant the game went by that fast- too. It really forced one to pay attention to see how things were flowing. Maybe not exactly the same the BC and Minnesota games went, but not a trapping style that forced us to realy slow down.

When I briefly watched the Wiso-OSU series, I saw some more of that- it wasn't like when we watched an MSU game where they would line up in the neutral zone and force us to dump the puck. It could have been that each team was able to break out so fast that the trap wasn't able to be set up, or it just was playing a more flowing style. Not sure.

I understand how one would not consider their team in that kind of play. But it's what I'm seeing on the ice. Bear in mind, didn't see any of the PSU games, so I can't really say much about them. Wisconsin did make it fun to watch. And I hope OSU stays the way they played Wisconsin. It's a whole lot more fun to watch, IHMO.

It would be pretty fun if that was what we can expect in the B1G games- more skilled and flowing than preventative game. Defense can also be effective without a trap- we've seen that more than once in the last 20 year.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Coaches do have to fit systems to the available talent. But yes, we have more speed and skill up front than we've had at other points in time. It's been great to see and I'm certainly hoping Coach Rohlik and his staff can continue landing that type of player.

I'm intrigued by the notion that there's an emerging B1G style of play, and will have to give that one some further thought. My first reaction is that Wisconsin maybe isn't as up tempo as you're suggesting. Certainly Coaches Eaves gets excellent players, but he often employs a pretty conservative game plan. Then again, maybe that impression is based mostly on past seasons. We are, after all, less than one year into the new era.
      I would not really call it up tempo, but more forcing the play vs. preventing the play. It didn't mean a bunch of dump and chase, but allowed the team to break through the neutral zone, and attempt to start something before being turned back, and going the other way.

Perhaps it was playing to our style more- so instead of trapping, it was just intercepting passes. dunno. I'll keep more an eye on it this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        I would not call what I saw a trap. The game flowed up and down the rink realy quickly, which meant the game went by that fast- too. It really forced one to pay attention to see how things were flowing. Maybe not exactly the same the BC and Minnesota games went, but not a trapping style that forced us to realy slow down.

When I briefly watched the Wiso-OSU series, I saw some more of that- it wasn't like when we watched an MSU game where they would line up in the neutral zone and force us to dump the puck. It could have been that each team was able to break out so fast that the trap wasn't able to be set up, or it just was playing a more flowing style. Not sure.

I understand how one would not consider their team in that kind of play. But it's what I'm seeing on the ice. Bear in mind, didn't see any of the PSU games, so I can't really say much about them. Wisconsin did make it fun to watch. And I hope OSU stays the way they played Wisconsin. It's a whole lot more fun to watch, IHMO.

It would be pretty fun if that was what we can expect in the B1G games- more skilled and flowing than preventative game. Defense can also be effective without a trap- we've seen that more than once in the last 20 year.
        I didn't see much of this game so maybe they were able to pull off an up tempo style of play. But don't give them too much credit is all I'm saying and wouldn't expect this from bucky too often. They do have one pretty good scoring line so when they are on the ice, maybe. But once they sit and get in to their deeper lines I don't think so. I'd expect a similar situation from OSU. Good goaltending and solid defence keeps them in games. Rick Pizzo from BTN keeps going on about OSU and expects them to make some noise if they keep getting good goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          I didn't see much of this game so maybe they were able to pull off an up tempo style of play. But don't give them too much credit is all I'm saying and wouldn't expect this from bucky too often. They do have one pretty good scoring line so when they are on the ice, maybe. But once they sit and get in to their deeper lines I don't think so. I'd expect a similar situation from OSU. Good goaltending and solid defence keeps them in games. Rick Pizzo from BTN keeps going on about OSU and expects them to make some noise if they keep getting good goaltending.
          Well, Wisconsin did it all 4 games we've played each other. So they can at least do that. I wish I could remember the first OSU game, but I wasn't here for that game, either. So this is my first look at them this weekend. If OSU plays us like they played the Badgers a few weeks ago, it will be much more fun than what I've watched over the past 2 decades.

I sure would be nice if this was a form of play that will emerge with the B1G. much more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            Question for the OSU fans: How many goalies have you gone through this season?
            Well, let's see...

1. The Outbound Transfer
            2. The Guy Who Won The Job, Then Promptly Got Injured
            3. The Weatherman's Son*
            4. The Baseball Catcher
            5. The Mid-Season USHL Transfer Who's Now The Go-To Guy
            6. The Mid-Season Transfer From The San Jose Junior Team

Guess that makes 6. Truth really is stranger than fiction...

*and Practice Goalie. Who, BTW, played extremely well when thrust into an extraordinarily difficult situation.
            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Question for the Michigan fans: Who do you think we'll see in net this weekend? Do Nagelvort and Racine each get a start or are we likely to see only one of the two, and if so which one?

Question for the OSU fans: How many goalies have you gone through this season?
              Racine will probably start on Friday considering Red likes to go with the hot hand. Sunday? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Well, Wisconsin did it all 4 games we've played each other. So they can at least do that.

Shhhh... don't mess with Tiggy's perception of games he didn't watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Shhhh... don't mess with Tiggy's perception of games he didn't watch.
                  Facts, schmacts! I have the lowest post count here so I guess that means I have to yield to folks who know more than me.

So are you telling me that you'd generally characterize WI or OSU as a high flying sort of team when the first scoring line is not on the ice? Even if they seemed to do it against one particular opponent?

Comment

is there a reason that all the buckeyes have mullets/
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Guptill. Why can't you just you pretend that every other team Michigan plays is wearing scarlet and gray?!?!
                      ---
                      National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                      Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                      19 Conference Championships
                      10 Conference Tournament Championships
                      2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        Guptill. Why can't you just you pretend that every other team Michigan plays is wearing scarlet and gray?!?!
                        I'll just say that if Guptill is considering turning pro after this season, he certainly has my blessing.

As for the Buckeyes, great job tonight by #31, #28 & the entire PK corps.

Comment

So.... no comments on the Gedig hit to Kile? If it was Minnesota fan, he'd be tarred and feathered by now.

By the book, should have been a CTH penalty, no more than 2 minutes. But, then again, Guptill scored, so dumb-azz Aaron and co. get off the hook.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            So.... no comments on the Gedig hit to Kile? If it was Minnesota fan, he'd be tarred and feathered by now.

By the book, should have been a CTH penalty, no more than 2 minutes. But, then again, Guptill scored, so dumb-azz Aaron and co. get off the hook.
                            Yes that should have been a penalty at least 2 minutes. I thought the game was pretty even up to the 10 minute mark of the 2nd period and then Michigan controlled the last 30 minutes of the hockey game. Tomkins stole those two points for the Buckeyes. These 2 teams have played 3 very tight games and tomorrow should be no different. If Ohio state can pull out the 3 pts they move into 3rd place.

Comment

Can both fanbases agree that Brian Aaron is garbage? I mean some of those calls even had former NHL goaltender Darin Eliot scratching his head.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Can both fanbases agree that Brian Aaron is garbage? I mean some of those calls even had former NHL goaltender Darin Eliot scratching his head.
                                Yes he is terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X