Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Former BU All-American and Hobey Baker finalist John Curry is being inducted (with 5 others) into the BU Athletics Hall of Fame today. It's being live streamed beginning at 4:30 p.m. Very deserving. Has anyone in recent years been a bigger fan favorite at BU?

http://www.goterriers.com/genrel/053014aaa.html
    http://www.bu.edu/today/2014/six-ter...-hall-of-fame/
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Mike Lynch is leaving.

Comment

Huh. Is that unexpected?

Comment

No mention of anything new

When you look at it, what else does he have to do here though?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            No mention of anything new

When you look at it, what else does he have to do here though?
            Yeah, but when you say "I don't yet know what the future holds", hat sure sounds like you've been asked to step down, or found something to be completely unworkable. It doesn't sound to me like he just decided he wants a new challenge.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

If you guys are looking for a proven fundraiser who has experience in the area, I know the perfect guy!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Yeah, but when you say "I don't yet know what the future holds", hat sure sounds like you've been asked to step down, or found something to be completely unworkable. It doesn't sound to me like he just decided he wants a new challenge.
                I agree. That letter reads more like he wasn't planning on leaving, but has been asked to or felt like he had to for some reason or another.

I'm also not sure that the last 14 years here screams "stepping stone to a bigger athletic school that really want's me".

What are the three new programs? Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lightweight Rowing... I'm not thinking of the 3rd.

There was also the demise of wrestling and men's golf.
                Last edited by ericredaxe; 06-02-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

My initial thoughts based on the wording and timing of the letter is he was forced to resign or his contract was up July 1 and it was not renewed.
                  My thoughts based on his record here is no way BU would do that.
                  So now I don't know what to think.

Comment

I wonder if it has anything to do with Kelly Greenberg. Maybe BU's investigation found out there was too much evidence and he didn't do anything about it.

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    I agree. That letter reads more like he wasn't planning on leaving, but has been asked to or felt like he had to for some reason or another.

I'm also not sure that the last 14 years here screams "stepping stone to a bigger athletic school that really want's me".

What are the three new programs? Men's Lacrosse, Women's Lightweight Rowing... I'm not thinking of the 3rd.
                    I'm sure he is referring to women's hockey, since he said one of the new sports is already among the nation's best.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                      I wonder if it has anything to do with Kelly Greenberg. Maybe BU's investigation found out there was too much evidence and he didn't do anything about it.
                      I've read people positing that, but if he wasn't ousted for "not doing enough" during a situation, how in the world did he make it through the Trivino/Nicastro incidents? Based on the reporting, it certainly didn't seem like the Greenberg situation was mishandled in any form of egregious way. Some former players made a few relatively vague accusations a few years back, it was reported on but no one ever followed up, then more this year and she was subsequently let go. No indication of a scandal or anything over the top, certainly nothing illegal or Mike Rice-ish.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post

I'm sure he is referring to women's hockey, since he said one of the new sports is already among the nation's best.
                        Women's Hockey is new within the past 14 years I think yes, so that would be 3 new teams? If that is who he is referring to, then he isn't giving proper credit to the Women's Lightweight Rowers where their varsity 8 just placed 4th at the National Championship over this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          My initial thoughts based on the wording and timing of the letter is he was forced to resign or his contract was up July 1 and it was not renewed.
                          My thoughts based on his record here is no way BU would do that.
                          So now I don't know what to think.
                          This was surprising and the wording of his letter gives the impression the situation may be a bit awkward. As AD, I think he did a lot more good for BU Athletics that unfortunately some may choose to overlook b/c of more recent high-profile negative happenings.

I've had numerous interactions with him over the years; during his first few years as fundraiser then AD, I always found him engaging, approachable and passionate. However, over the past couple of years, I felt I didn't see those attributes as much. I also got the impression that over the past 2-3 years he distanced himself from the hockey program following the off-ice incidents.

I know of people around BU who believe the President has an agenda he's pushing at the expense of some long-time BU loyalists who (for the most part) have done their jobs well. They feel Lynch may simply be the latest (following Joe Mercurio, Jack Parker to name a few) on their "hit list".

I'm curious to see how the hiring process plays out and who is hired to be his successor. I'm also very interested to see where Lynch ends up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                            I've had numerous interactions with him over the years; during his first few years as fundraiser then AD, I always found him engaging, approachable and passionate. However, over the past couple of years, I felt I didn't see those attributes as much. I also got the impression that over the past 2-3 years he distanced himself from the hockey program following the off-ice incidents.
                            The only time I ever spoke to him was when he flew to BU at Notre Dame in February and attended a BU alumni event at ND's rink. I was not at that event, but he saw a pocket of BU colors in the crowd and came over to us to chat about the season, the program, and our trip; it went beyond your standard shaking hands and kissing babies interaction. I have no baseline to compare that to, but I would have described him as engaging and approachable there.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

I know of people around BU who believe the President has an agenda he's pushing at the expense of some long-time BU loyalists who (for the most part) have done their jobs well. They feel Lynch may simply be the latest (following Joe Mercurio, Jack Parker to name a few) on their "hit list".
                              My intent here isn't to dismiss your assertion completely, but if Brown "hit" Parker, why does he still occupy a visible role at the university?

Let's face it, none of us will know the true "story behind the story" until Hoky informs us of it in his own cryptic way.
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

In my interactions with him, I would agree that he was approachable, passionate, personable etc. On some issues I didn't see eye to eye with him (as it related to my sport) but he did do some good things while here.
                                Last edited by ericredaxe; 06-03-2014, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X