Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
    Who will the "realigned" players be? Any guesses?
    Mookie put up his guess list 8 weeks ago...
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      In looking at just the quantity (18 forwards, 9 defensemen), I'm guessing at least 2-3 forwards and 1 d-man. I also think he's not done yet bringing in new talent for next season.

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Just about the entire junior and senior classes?

Don't get me wrong, they work hard, represent BC well, etc... but... from pure on ice standpoint...
        As role players, Sit, Smith and Linell don't hurt BC as long as they're playing in their proper role (i.e. Linell as a 4th line forward and not at D). Didn't Sit finally break a 2-year goal scoring drought and netted a few? And from what I've seen, Smith has always been a bit of a pest to play against, and has just enough skill to contribute. But whatever happened to Destry Straight?

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          Whoever gets the gate certainly can't say he wasn't given every opportunity to earn a spot. They all played quite a bit.
          Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
            Whoever gets the gate certainly can't say he wasn't given every opportunity to earn a spot. They all played quite a bit.
            If any of the cut players just completed their Freshman season, they may be better off taking a year in the USHL or USPHL before hopefully landing at another program. Transferring and sitting out next season may not be as beneficial for their development as getting a year of regular PT in Juniors, possibly putting up solid #s and getting some confidence back in their game.

I wonder if the on-ice factors include determination of whether player(s)' skill/size/etc fits into the team's future style of play, depth/talent at the position said player plays --> whether if said player(s) ceiling with the program may be as a depth forward or d-man instead of as a regular contributor.

Comment

• Re: BU-Colgate Series

It will be interesting to see. I personally would hope that the cuts would be based more on the "social and academic" part of what he mentioned.

I've always been a beliver that if someone will show up to practice with a good attidude and work ethic and be a good teammate etc, that they can only help the team (even if they are not quite talented enough to earn much playing time).

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                It will be interesting to see. I personally would hope that the cuts would be based more on the "social and academic" part of what he mentioned.

I've always been a beliver that if someone will show up to practice with a good attidude and work ethic and be a good teammate etc, that they can only help the team (even if they are not quite talented enough to earn much playing time).
                This is true, but not universally. In our case, there are a couple of players on the roster who simply do not have the talent level to compete in Hockey East, and performed woefully subpar under Quinn's system. It's a bit cold-hearted to say that, but it's true, and we all saw it. While it's good to have role players on the team who exude great work ethic and are locker room guys, if the skill simply isn't there when, as steakbomb correctly pointed out, they had PLENTY of opportunity last season to prove they could at least compete, they need to go. No one on lines 3, 4, and the bench can make any sort of claim that they didn't have the opportunity to show they deserved more PT.

The kind of role players we need are the Matt Lanes and Luke Popkos of the world. Certainly, they're not the most talented guys on the ice and won't be playing in the NHL anytime soon, but they do have the skill to compete on the ice without bringing the team down. And that's when their work ethic, stick-to-itiveness, and specialty skills (win a faceoff, PK, physicality) fill the gaps between their talent and the top guys on the other team. We need those guys, but not ones who, despite working hard, cannot be on the ice at all in the third period because they're just not good enough.
                Last edited by brassbonanza; 04-25-2014, 02:32 PM.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Can Quinn make some cuts to the BC roster too? Please?

I wonder if Jofa still thinks Coyle is a 'dog with fleas.'
                  Coyle gave a half assed effort here his final season what don't you understand nitwit?

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

How does this all work? I thought that 4 year scholarships were not revocable for performance or injury. Do most scholarship players get one-year support with "do well and you might get more?"

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
                      How does this all work? I thought that 4 year scholarships were not revocable for performance or injury. Do most scholarship players get one-year support with "do well and you might get more?"
                      Scholarships can be taken away. There may be an exception for injury, I don't exactly remember. In this case I suspect any cuts would be non-scholarship players, but I haven't looked at that part closely.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        This is true, but not universally. In our case, there are a couple of players on the roster who simply do not have the talent level to compete in Hockey East, and performed woefully subpar under Quinn's system. It's a bit cold-hearted to say that, but it's true, and we all saw it. While it's good to have role players on the team who exude great work ethic and are locker room guys, if the skill simply isn't there when, as steakbomb correctly pointed out, they had PLENTY of opportunity last season to prove they could at least compete, they need to go. No one on lines 3, 4, and the bench can make any sort of claim that they didn't have the opportunity to show they deserved more PT.

The kind of role players we need are the Matt Lanes and Luke Popkos of the world. Certainly, they're not the most talented guys on the ice and won't be playing in the NHL anytime soon, but they do have the skill to compete on the ice without bringing the team down. And that's when their work ethic, stick-to-itiveness, and specialty skills (win a faceoff, PK, physicality) fill the gaps between their talent and the top guys on the other team. We need those guys, but not ones who, despite working hard, cannot be on the ice at all in the third period because they're just not good enough.
                        Well in this case, we would not be talking about an extra Matt Lane or Luke Popko. We might be talking about a guy who likely ends up dressing a few times at most per season (maybe not at all) and likely on the 4th line. As long as they are happy to be there in that situation, have a good attitude, work ethic, good teammates etc etc, I think it can only help to have them around. At least that has always been my coaching philosophy. Maybe they are there to cover if there are a few injuries or illnesses. Maybe they push the guys above them to work harder because of the threat of losing their spot. If they are disruptive or otherwise distract from the team then by all means let them go.

Somebody at some point thought these guys could play in hockey east and there is a big difference between taking regular shifts on the 2nd line and filling in as an occasional 4th line guy.

Comment

We've seen kids here recently that left (mid season even) because they thought they were Top lines players.

Those Kids Are the ones who will probably go (and were here on 3/4 or heaven forbid 4/4 offers).

Someone who was here on there own or 1/4 are probably happy to stay and be a piece Of something and get all they can out of BU
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The cutting has begun.
                            one + on your list of "non" cuts shown door

Comment

Thanks for letting us know!

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                                The cutting has begun.
                                one + on your list of "non" cuts shown door
                                Good to know he cut Gryzsdfjhadskjhadsfklck, it was too difficult to type his name anyways.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X