Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

First line should be O'Regan-Eichel-Rodrigues It reminds me of that Higgins-Wilson-Lawrence line when Higgins moved to wing and Lawrence had that gift (30 goals?) season by playing with them

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    Right now, the roster projects to have 17 forwards (18 if Greer accelerates) and 8 defensemen, with Ryan counting as a forward. A deletion or two wouldn’t be surprising as Quinn, quite correctly, continues to put his imprint on the program and establishes his definition of “a BU hockey player.” The soon-to-be-announced staff changes are also a step in this transformation. But if some players are indeed cut loose, I wouldn’t expect any current sophomores or juniors to be involved.
    As many as four freshmen forwards are likely to be in the lineup, but this group is more ready for prime time, than last year's freshmen--other than Baillargeon. Piccinich has had two seasons in the USHL, and was very productive this year. Coughlin PG'd in the BCHL and Phelps was a high scorer on SSM's national U18 champs. Then there's that center from Chelmsford, too.

Even if Quinn decides the O'Regan at RW experiment was a success and keeps him there, BU will be strong at center with Baillargeon, Eichel, Hohmann and possibly Moran--who stepped up nicely in the second half. An obvious key to upgrading the offense is whether a healthy Rodrigues can return to his sophomore year production (14-20-34). Playing alongside the high-skilled Eichel could facilitate that. My pure-conjection guess at the lines:

Phelps Baillargeon O’Regan
    Lane Eichel Rodrigues
    Coughlin Hohmann Roberto
    Collier Moran Piccinich[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
      Hickey, Diffley and Abramson
      sounds like a law firm.

Comment

Are we looking at about 17-14-3 with the infusion of new talent? Lots of questions need to be answered on defense, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike79 View Post
          First line should be O'Regan-Eichel-Rodrigues.
          Given his enormous lack of production, Rodrigues is just as likely to be finding a seat in the stands as he is a spot on the first line. He has a great deal to prove.

I find it more than a little humorous that people are trying to come up with line combinations for next season involving a lot of players that they have most likely have never even seen play. Depth charts, maybe ... but lines? Not without seeing them, and knowing the strengths and weaknesses and what you want from a given line.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            Given his enormous lack of production, Rodrigues is just as likely to be finding a seat in the stands as he is a spot on the first line. He has a great deal to prove.

I find it more than a little humorous that people are trying to come up with line combinations for next season involving a lot of players that they have most likely have never even seen play. Depth charts, maybe ... but lines? Not without seeing them, and knowing the strengths and weaknesses and what you want from a given line.
            Since many NHL scouts say Eichel is the best American prospect in 30 years, I went out on a limb by speculating that he might be able to crack a 9th place team's first line

Comment

Originally posted by Hurl82 View Post
              Are we looking at about 17-14-3 with the infusion of new talent? Lots of questions need to be answered on defense, IMHO.
              No, I have them more in the 4-5 tie area.

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
              Some not-quite-first-tier players work best carrying a 3rd line (Saponari comes to mind), some work best as the 3rd most talented player on a 1st line (Jason Lawrence being an obvious example) based on what Rodrigues did in Spring 2013 when he was alongside Nieto and O'Regan I'd put him in the 2nd bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                sounds like a law firm.
                Right down the middle Brian. Not even going to make a joke.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Is it possible Piccinch is not coming to 2015-Confusion on recruiting sites and he is a 96 birth date

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                    Is it possible Piccinch is not coming to 2015-Confusion on recruiting sites and he is a 96 birth date
                    He is flexible based on age and it seemed like would have been fine waiting a year if the school wanted him to, but unless something changes drastically he will be here in the fall.

Comment

As much as I like to play the guess the lines six months from now game, the team's success is going to depend on if the D can hold their own. Besides Grzelcyk, there isn't anyone who makes me feel comfortable when he is out there. Hickey and Macleod need to come in and contribute right away while Somerby and Oksanen need to take a step forward from last season. This team has the depth up front(even though they're young) and the goaltending to be a contender for a title. The d corps will be the difference in them being a Frozen Four team or a non-factor.

As for the forwards your top 13 are Hohmann, Erod, O'Regan, Lane, Moran, Baillargeon,Duane,Roberto, Eichel, Greer, Phelps, Piccinich,Coughlin(listed by class). Who sits out of that bunch is up to the coaching staff and how guys develop over the summer workouts. Maybe Collier, Kelley, Olsson or Lawrence play their way into that group but as of now, my 12 forwards would come from that group.
                      GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
                        As much as I like to play the guess the lines six months from now game, the team's success is going to depend on if the D can hold their own. Besides Grzelcyk, there isn't anyone who makes me feel comfortable when he is out there. Hickey and Macleod need to come in and contribute right away while Somerby and Oksanen need to take a step forward from last season. This team has the depth up front(even though they're young) and the goaltending to be a contender for a title. The d corps will be the difference in them being a Frozen Four team or a non-factor.

As for the forwards your top 13 are Hohmann, Erod, O'Regan, Lane, Moran, Baillargeon,Duane,Roberto, Eichel, Greer, Phelps, Piccinich,Coughlin(listed by class). Who sits out of that bunch is up to the coaching staff and how guys develop over the summer workouts. Maybe Collier, Kelley, Olsson or Lawrence play their way into that group but as of now, my 12 forwards would come from that group.
                        Since I'm not expecting a national championship next year I'd say a good offense makes a good defense. If the forwards can play in the opponents end of the ice all game, its going to ease the pressure on an admittedly lackluster D, at least until the new players can gain a little experience.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                          Since I'm not expecting a national championship next year I'd say a good offense makes a good defense. If the forwards can play in the opponents end of the ice all game, its going to ease the pressure on an admittedly lackluster D, at least until the new players can gain a little experience.
                          More depth, more talent = better results. I see next year as the building block to hopefully the next era of sustained excellence. I think it took a couple of months this season for Quinn to figure out what he had (or didn't have), with the result being he/Greeley being very proactive towards addressing the talent & depth gaps.

The D still concerns me a little more than the forward corps, but at least Quinn has options next season beyond inserting either TJ Ryan or Matt Ronan into the starting lineup w/ Noonan. I also expect Somerby and Macafee to continue to improve; Macafee seemed to play w/ much more confidence late in the season and could be a regular next season.

Comment

I'm hoping for an '89-'90 type season, though getting to the FF is unlikely. That team finished something like 25-17 but improved as the year went on and was able to hang with BC and Maine when all was said and done. There were big wins over nationally ranked teams (see MSU at WBA) but as the record showed, there were still some growing pains. And the success was driven by an influx of talent, which followed some leaner years that still included some good young players. Could Eichel do for O'Regan and Baillargeon what Amonte did for Joe Sacco and McEachern?
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                              He is flexible based on age and it seemed like would have been fine waiting a year if the school wanted him to, but unless something changes drastically he will be here in the fall.
                              Piccinich is 13th in scoring in the USHL with almost everyone above him at least a year older. Not much left to prove at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
                                Piccinich is 13th in scoring in the USHL with almost everyone above him at least a year older. Not much left to prove at that level.
                                He led the league in power play goals, playing on a weak squad. A majority of his 27 goals were scored in close and his coach cites his willingness to fight his way to "the dirty areas." Piccinich is the only right wing in the recruit class.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X