Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

What does a "director of hockey operations" do?

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
      Who's "Pertti?" Is that a nickname for Steve Greeley or Mike Geragosian?
      Perrti Hasanen - our Finnish connection. He is sometimes on the bench, especially if one of the other assistants is traveling. Very nice guy, I've had an opportunity to chat with him as he volunteers his time in my sons youth program to teach skills sessions once a week. Hopefully, if his BU gig is up (he's been with BU on and off through the years), he won't go far.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        I think it's a lot of logistics along with a varying degree of responsibility with everything not happening on the ice/coaching aspects. Flights, hotel rooms, buses to airports/rinks, travel party information, meals, rink scheduling (for some teams that need to practice at Fessenden). Budgeting at some places I would imagine, expense reports, etc. Coordination with the equipment room/equipment orders. Handling special events. Liaisons with compliance officers, etc.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          A member of the coaching staff who is not allowed on the ice during practices. Why? Because the NCAA is a thing that exists. Some school's don't have one (BC), some schools use the position for much of the admin work Nick said (NU women), some schools use it as an extra coach for film review and the like (NU men).

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
            As I understand the role he is subjected to the same recruiting restrictions as the rest of the staff, although it is my belief he would be unlikely to participate much off site and most (all?) of his contact would be when the recruits visit BU.
            I believe that is correct and that the job includes setting recruit visits to BU. Someone directed me to the BU jobs site where the Director of Hockey Operations position had been posted. Among the tasks listed was analysis of game videos. Seems to be a good fit given Young's knowledge of the game.

If Albie is indeed the choice to succeed powers, it certainly strengthens BU's recruiting and complements Greeley. O'Connell has done quite well with prospects in Quebec and Western Canada. Last summer, when Greeley was hired, USHR reported that O'Connell was the other candidate considered but that Harvard bumped up his salary to keep him in place. Gotta wonder what this might mean for Ted Donato.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              Some school's don't have one (BC)
              John Hegarty is BC's director of hockey operations. You'll also find him behind the bench as their main equipment manager during games. The guy is very good at what he does.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                John Hegarty is BC's director of hockey operations. You'll also find him behind the bench as their main equipment manager during games. The guy is very good at what he does.
                Ahh so he is. Weird that BC doesn't list him on the coaching staff portion of the roster like they do with other sports. He seems to be more on the administrative side of things.

Comment

I think it's a lot of logistics along with a varying degree of responsibility with everything not happening on the ice/coaching aspects. Flights, hotel rooms, buses to airports/rinks, travel party information, meals, rink scheduling (for some teams that need to practice at Fessenden). Budgeting at some places I would imagine, expense reports, etc. Coordination with the equipment room/equipment orders. Handling special events. Liaisons with compliance officers, etc.
                  I've never met Scott Young, and never will, probably. However, I have a hard time envisioning anyone with a long NHL career performing these tasks. Expense reports??
                  if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                    I've never met Scott Young, and never will, probably. However, I have a hard time envisioning anyone with a long NHL career performing these tasks. Expense reports??
                    he WILL have a secretary
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Absolutely true. Great moves for BU. Just bringing Albie over should be great considering his recruiting at Northeastern (before they got caught for cheating, or was that just Roid Rage Cro?).
                      Are you referring to "spitting on the sidewalk" type of violation, which caused at least one Commonwealth Ave. institution to immediately cease the same activity, and was subsequently permitted by the brilliant NC$$? NU paid nasally for their AD's panic. They lost Johnny Goo, Garret Haar and Justin Kovacs from that freshman class. Perhaps they've paid enough? What do you think?
                      Last edited by HHound; 04-04-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                        Johnny Goo
                        ???

Comment

Goo dreau

Comment

Any relation to Mike Szmoo tula?

Comment

USHR reporting that Albie O'Connell has accepted an asst coaching position with BU to fill spot vacated by Buddy Powers.

Comment

This has nothing to do with hockey, but Tim Lincecum, please shave off the moustache. You don't do debonair.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X