Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    Yep, he's a keeper. Now if they could just figure out how to get last nights crowd at every game. I'm just asking for 2800.
    They will get more fans if they:

1) keep winning
    2) get some "bigger" OOC teams to come to Agganis
    3) schedule more weekend evening games (I know this becomes complex where it is a dual purpose arena).

I went to 3 games this season. They were fun to go to. Two were from the free ticket offers and the championship game. I hope they keep it up, if they do I could see myself taking in 3 or 4 games a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      They will get more fans if they:

1) keep winning
      2) get some "bigger" OOC teams to come to Agganis
      3) schedule more weekend evening games (I know this becomes complex where it is a dual purpose arena).

I went to 3 games this season. They were fun to go to. Two were from the free ticket offers and the championship game. I hope they keep it up, if they do I could see myself taking in 3 or 4 games a season.
      I know the league probably doesn't let them play the finals at the Roof or maybe BU was hoping for a bigger crowd but I think they have a bigger advantage at the smaller venue and it's more friendly for shooters which could have helped the other night . Maybe could have been a differant story or they could have been just as tight. I am grasping here

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
        I know the league probably doesn't let them play the finals at the Roof or maybe BU was hoping for a bigger crowd but I think they have a bigger advantage at the smaller venue and it's more friendly for shooters which could have helped the other night . Maybe could have been a differant story or they could have been just as tight. I am grasping here
        I believe BU agreed to play all Patriot League games at Agganis upon joining the conference.

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

AND they played the qf & sf games in HAA putting up 91-91

Just typical bball Conf finals no-show
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
            Everything Jones says I like. Guy has a great manner I hope he stays around for a while longer
            I agree, he's a great coach for the program and from all indications a great guy as well. I too hope he sticks with the program for some time.

That said, for someone who'd criticize Parker if someone skated two inches in the wrong direction, I can't help but notice your lack of similar commentary about Jones with regard to the game Wednesday. By any objective standard, and even to someone who does not regularly watch basketball, that was a wildly sub-par coaching performance, exclusive of the poor performance from the players.

A few specific examples come to mind, the play he drew up out of a timeout with five seconds left in the first half (one of the most tide-turning points in a bball game) was utterly abysmal - an inbound to a big man who dishes it to an out of position guard that ends in a travel. The team looked disorganized and confused out of a timeout - absolutely inexcusable.

Halftime adjustments were few and far between, and when AU switched to a simple two-three zone in the second half, the team looked as though it'd never seen one in their life. Jones subsequently did not adjust once again and attack the zone in any way. AU ain't Syracuse, they didn't have the skill or length to execute a suffocating zone. They made no effort to beat the zone up the floor and score in transition (two points in transition in the second half), made no effort to shoot over the top of it - despite shooting poorly, you must continue to attack the zone by shooting over the top if you have the personnel who can shoot. On only a few occasions did they bother to flash a big man to the gap of the zone and find the open man or take the shot.

There are plenty of reasons why the team lost, the players were timid and nervous from the get-go leading to poor shooting, their decision making was terrible, they made their own boneheaded mistakes and overall shot selection was horrible. But Jones made some very key coaching errors that were just as contributory. AU themselves played a very bad game, but executed just enough to beat a team who was playing even worse. For someone who has bashed the hockey coaches into oblivion, both justified and not, I would expect you to be consistent across all teams.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              By any objective standard, and even to someone who does not regularly watch basketball, that was a wildly sub-par coaching performance, exclusive of the poor performance from the players . . . Halftime adjustments were few and far between, and when AU switched to a simple two-three zone in the second half, the team looked as though it'd never seen one in their life. Jones subsequently did not adjust once again and attack the zone in any way. AU ain't Syracuse, they didn't have the skill or length to execute a suffocating zone . . . They made no effort to beat the zone up the floor and score in transition (two points in transition in the second half), made no effort to shoot over the top of it - despite shooting poorly, you must continue to attack the zone by shooting over the top if you have the personnel who can shoot . . .
              That was pretty frustrating to watch. "The team looked as though it'd never seen [a zone] in their life." That was definitely the feel I got, about a bunch of different things. You couldn't see anything real actually happening, or being tried.

Then again, those game happen from time to time. I think as a coach you have to recognize a performance like that and -- at halftime, or even after a timeout -- say, "Forget about me. Go out and play like you're on the playground. Have fun. Light it up. Try to get 110." (Or whatever.)
              Bugs Bunny - 96
              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                That was pretty frustrating to watch. "The team looked as though it'd never seen [a zone] in their life." That was definitely the feel I got, about a bunch of different things. You couldn't see anything real actually happening, or being tried.

Then again, those game happen from time to time. I think as a coach you have to recognize a performance like that and -- at halftime, or even after a timeout -- say, "Forget about me. Go out and play like you're on the playground. Have fun. Light it up. Try to get 110." (Or whatever.)
                Agreed, and that's why the lack of halftime and in-game second half adjustments was so shocking. Whatever BU's game plan was obviously wasn't working in the first half, they came out in the second half and continued to do the same thing, then didn't respond when AU switched to a zone, and played right into their hands. They swung the ball around the perimeter playing hot potato for 30 seconds then either turned it over or took an off-balance shot. AU's game plan was very clearly to slow the game down and make it a low-scoring grinder, and BU did virtually nothing to combat that, and instead helped out.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                  Didn't seem to matter when they shot over 60% in the first two games. I think the American defense had something to do with their shooting, not the background. They reconfigured the basketball setup this year; previously there was a huge black curtain on one end. This year they have the black tarp over the seats at the ends and both ends are symmetrical. But yes, there were tight. Even Joe Jones admitted that they didn't handle the pressure well.

Comment

AU themselves played a very bad game, but executed just enough to beat a team who was playing even worse.
                    Whoa...I was with you up until this. It's a bad matchup for BU. First of all, they beat us 2 out of 3 this year. Second, they completely controlled the tempo, took away our legs and made us look confused. How do you interpret that as a "bad game?" Just because they didn't score 80 points doesn't mean they didn't do exactly what they wanted! The whole point was to slow the game down to a crawl. Up-tempo, athletic teams get frustrated when they get suffocated and then they lose their will. AU couldn't win an up and down game, so they simply created the type of game they wanted. And I don't care WHO you have on your team, if you miss shots you can't beat a zone. This game was over at 6-2 when BU came out tentative and missed everything they threw up there. Their confidence was shattered. I'm not absolving the coach, but you can't just change your style on the fly. The team is what it is - they run, get a lot of transition hoops and shoot threes. What did you want them to do? Pound it inside to a 6-7 slow center who was being guarded by a more mobile 6-10 guy? They had no other options. And if you say "They should have pushed the tempo," well, it's hard to run when the other team is taking 30 seconds for each possession and then making layups. There has to be missed shots, teams crashing the boards and getting caught with nobody back before you can run. We got a lot of shots altered because we were so tentative by the time a shot went up it was a bad shot under pressure. They were collapsing inside - there isn't any option except to make shots, and we didn't.

Comment

I agree, he's a great coach for the program and from all indications a great guy as well. I too hope he sticks with the program for some time.

That said, for someone who'd criticize Parker if someone skated two inches in the wrong direction, I can't help but notice your lack of similar commentary about Jones with regard to the game Wednesday. By any objective standard, and even to someone who does not regularly watch basketball, that was a wildly sub-par coaching performance, exclusive of the poor performance from the players.

A few specific examples come to mind, the play he drew up out of a timeout with five seconds left in the first half (one of the most tide-turning points in a bball game) was utterly abysmal - an inbound to a big man who dishes it to an out of position guard that ends in a travel. The team looked disorganized and confused out of a timeout - absolutely inexcusable.

Halftime adjustments were few and far between, and when AU switched to a simple two-three zone in the second half, the team looked as though it'd never seen one in their life. Jones subsequently did not adjust once again and attack the zone in any way. AU ain't Syracuse, they didn't have the skill or length to execute a suffocating zone. They made no effort to beat the zone up the floor and score in transition (two points in transition in the second half), made no effort to shoot over the top of it - despite shooting poorly, you must continue to attack the zone by shooting over the top if you have the personnel who can shoot. On only a few occasions did they bother to flash a big man to the gap of the zone and find the open man or take the shot.

There are plenty of reasons why the team lost, the players were timid and nervous from the get-go leading to poor shooting, their decision making was terrible, they made their own boneheaded mistakes and overall shot selection was horrible. But Jones made some very key coaching errors that were just as contributory. AU themselves played a very bad game, but executed just enough to beat a team who was playing even worse. For someone who has bashed the hockey coaches into oblivion, both justified and not, I would expect you to be consistent across all teams.
                      Mr PC : Difference is as I said I respect what I have seen and heard of Jones and like his manner I am more apt to give him a pass. I have never felt that way about Parker even in the early and mid 70's went I went to BU and they were dominant. Glad to see your knowledge of hoops is just as strong as hockey, breaking down the defensive schemes good for you.

Comment

Seems I hit a nerve.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I'm not gonna lie: There's some juicy schadenfreude in tonight's scores.
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

so bball is HOSTING Illinois on Wednesday???
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

And it's on CBSSN. Illinois's facility is undergoing an upgrade that began after their last home game. BU had in fact put in a bid to host an NIT game, and thanks to the pairing with Illinois and their situation, BU is hosting an NIT game for the first time. Also will be the first visit by a Big 10 team since a 2006 loss to Michigan, 51-46.
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                so bball is HOSTING Illinois on Wednesday???
                                Daily Illini headline today: Illini earn NIT bid, to play Boston

Ah, good old Boston. Does Barry Melrose write for Illinois?
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X