Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...p?mbu_noe1.f28

Is there a rule stating that you need to dress a certain amount of players? In any event, BU's entire 4th line listed as DNP. Were they dressed but simply stapled to the bench? Heck, even Billy Jaffe made reference to the suspensions or whatever you want to call it at the beginning of the broadcast. So an entire line never gets off the bench plus Roberto...that would be four. Looking at BU's last game, doesn't look like the 4th line was listed as DNP. I'd be willing to bet no other game this season your 4th line was listed as DNP. The kid was right.
    You're dealing in semantics. The players were dressed and were on the official roster, not suspended. The lengths that you guys go to defend "the kid" is disturbing. They could have played if necessary. Who cares? BU won. Good effort, good game and the tone has been set for next season.
    Last edited by Tater; 03-01-2014, 01:39 AM.

Comment

• Re: BU 2013-2014 (Part III): Close your eyes, we're coming up on the end here...

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
      You're dealing in semantics. The players were dressed and were on the official roster, not suspended. The lengths that you guys go to defend "the kid" is disturbing. They could have played if necessary. Who cares? BU won. Good effort, good game and the tone has been set for next season.
      Bingo. There is also an enormous difference in terms of specifics, general tone of the punishment, and the level of offense, between a benching and a suspension. Guys were benched tonight, they weren't suspended.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

"The Kid" seems like a very fanboyish term.

Comment

Whether we call it benchings, suspensions, not playing, etc., (I guess we are all dealing in semantics) what happened last night I think bodes well for the future. It shows Quinn has control of the team and has the team's respect. They were on a 1-14-3 stretch and then the coach "insert verb here" 4 players. That could easily have been the lowest of low points this season and it would have been human nature for them to throw in a poor effort last night. Instead we had a 3 line team that gave an inspired effort and beat a top ten ranked team. There's something to be said for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
            Oh and it's on Mook. Blackhawks-Penguins! #SoldierField
            8p baby!!!! Prime time!

Love flowers mask too
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

gentry, you're the one dealing in semantics (which you basically admitted in your follow-up post) and it's the exact opposite in regard to the actual report. i couldn't care less if he's wrong about something. it's clear though that you want to go to great lengths to shoot him down. do so when appropriate. this isn't one of those times. semantics, however you want to sugar coat it. it's not a big deal, congrats on the win.
              Last edited by J.D.; 03-01-2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                8p baby!!!! Prime time!

Love flowers mask too
                Flower's mask is awesome. Will look even better after Bickell rolls him for a first down.
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

knowing fleury, that first down could easily become a touchdown.

Comment

Nice effort by BU last night. They finally got a couple good breaks (I think O'Regan's goal nicked the defenseman's stick as it was being shot, giving Witt a tough time on two straight goals). There was still an abundance of passes into skates from 3 feet away, hot potato handling of the puck in our own end, and "is there a hole in my stick?" whiffs, but it was nice to see some periods of sustained pressure in the offensive zone for a change. And Oksanen took a page out of a prior Finnish #2 (Linna) with that length of the ice ENG (see 1995 win over LSSU in NCAAs).

The TV broadcast kept referring to the first breakaway (that Maguire stopped) as a SH chance, when in fact it was NU that was on the PP, not BU. But then for good measure we gave up a SHG anyway.

I thought the number retirement was done very well. Not too long, only Mike Lynch and Parker spoke. Unfortunately, it showcased Jim Prior's speech challenges a little bit, but it would not have sounded right if someone else had been doing it. Parker almost forgot to thank his wife…..but recovered nicely. There was one group that I expected him to thank that he didn't (nor did he mention during his time in the booth with Dale and Jaffe) - the many players who made the trip for the originally scheduled ceremony but could not make a second trip. I liked his comments about not retiring numbers - that he wanted a Shawn McEachern to be able to where Rick Meagher's number, etc.

I expect a blowout loss tonight, but glad we moved up a notch on the standings regardless of what it means in terms of match-ups.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      I expect a blowout loss tonight, but glad we moved up a notch on the standings regardless of what it means in terms of match-ups.
                      In the "FWIW" department...I'd rather play ND anyway. #1, I think Vermont is a better team. #2, the memory of last weekend is still fresh in their minds, #3, they can't possibly have the same travel woes twice in three weeks, can they? #4, ND is not the greatest team under pressure - which there will be plenty of at home in their first Hockey East season. #5, It can be tough to play at Gutterson. Call me crazy, but there is NO pressure on BU. Who knows? And I'm not saying they are going to win....just commenting on who I'd rather play.

Of course, now we may not be playing Vermont because they are tied with ND after last night's loss to Lowell. Season series was even - I didn't go through any tiebreaker calculations (does anyone know?). It's likely they'll remain tied, assuming ND loses to BC and Vermont loses to Lowell again.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        I thought the number retirement was done very well. Not too long, only Mike Lynch and Parker spoke. Unfortunately, it showcased Jim Prior's speech challenges a little bit, but it would not have sounded right if someone else had been doing it. Parker almost forgot to thank his wife…..but recovered nicely. There was one group that I expected him to thank that he didn't (nor did he mention during his time in the booth with Dale and Jaffe) - the many players who made the trip for the originally scheduled ceremony but could not make a second trip. I liked his comments about not retiring numbers - that he wanted a Shawn McEachern to be able to where Rick Meagher's number, etc.
                        I was thinking the exact same thing about Jim Prior. Didn't notice it at all over the season (though in the interest of full disclosure I've missed most games this season) and I was wondering if he's been sick lately.

Comment

chickod, after head to head, next tie breaker is league wins. i think you guys will in fact be travelling to south bend.

Comment

one question i have is why they made round 1 just a one game playoff. other leagues have had similar playoff formats but with best of three series in round one. think the ecac still does it that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              one question i have is why they made round 1 just a one game playoff. other leagues have had similar playoff formats but with best of three series in round one. think the ecac still does it that way.
                              It's because hockey east wanted all the games to be on NBC Sports and they couldn't do that if it was a three game series.
                              GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                after head to head, next tie breaker is league wins. i think you guys will in fact be traveling to south bend.
                                Good...thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X