Women's Professional Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Professional Hockey

Thought discussion of this subject could use its own topic?

I'll start out by asking how much involvement could a university have in a professional league?!

Could several universities basically start up a professional summer league? I'm thinking specifically Minnesota, Wisconsin, Duluth and North Dakota. All 4 of these schools get decent attendance, have great players that have played for them that could help make up a set percentage of each team's rosters.

Ways to cut costs could be going old school and having player-coaches, and Natalie Darwitz instantly comes to mind for the Minnesota team, and allowing college and high school players to play, without pay of course, if that's allowable? as they'd play for nothing more than experience and a chance to play with and against some of the best players in the world and to learn from them. This could be a great way to get some of those European girls to come to America to play and train. Each team could require 25% alumni on the roster, 25% foreign players and 25% eastern players and 25% drafted or misc or Canadian or TBD? Unless of course some eastern colleges also do the same.

Each team could play a 12 game schedule, 4 games vs each of the other teams, top 2 teams play for the Championship. Could be started and finished before the high school and college players had to go back to school. I'm sorry to say, but I am not a big fan of baseball. It's boring. Women's hockey is not. And to get out of the heat on a scorching hot summer day to watch an ICE hockey game would be nice, especially if the players on the team were players I've followed for years.

Another idea would be to replace Wisconsin and UND with the other Mn based teams and get the state of Mn to help subsidize the league, unless the state of ND, which is one of the richer states now right?, chose to pony up as well, or maybe the state of Wisconsin could as well? Just an idea, not suggesting its realistic or anything? Just brainstorming, throwing ideas out there.

Get all of the best hockey players from all over the world to come to Minnesota to spend the summer. Players could stay with host families. Players could take summer classes at the colleges they are playing their games at, or could get summer jobs, through the universities, or through the state maybe or maybe doing something in the community? They could run hockey camps for youth. Minnesota IS the State of Hockey, so its altogether possible it might be open to something like this?

Maybe the Olympic powers that be would help fund the league? They could up the required percentage of foreign players to 50% if need be? I don't know, it just seems to me that there are all kinds of ways that something could work. It might be better for everyone all around if it wasn't so Minnesota centered anyway. It's just where I think a league like that would have the best chance of actually succeeding is all.

But I also can definitely see the sense others are making by saying it needs to be made to be an EVENT.

Re: Women's Professional Hockey

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
    Thought discussion of this subject could use its own topic?
    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ood-to-be-true

Comment

Working...
    X