No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the marketable subset is a whole lot smaller to begin with. After the discontinuation of football.. the outreach to the Alumni has been less than stellar far as Fall/ Winter go..

Folks @ NU generally do not focus on sports program to begin with.. unlike at BC which has been very savvy about it.. not to mention, been successful at it. Losing Greg Cronin & Johnny Hockey didn't help either..

Good news I see is.. we are making progress & I do think the atmosphere will come back, along with a gritty & strong hockey team. That is the one plus of having JM back there.. he does care about this thing..
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2013-14 Season Thread II: In Witt we Trust

[QUOTE=Huskies of NU;5897223]At least for the BC games (all of which over the past few years have been sellouts) the reason there are empty seats is due to a combination of people having lower bowl seats but opting to stand in the upper bowl or having seats but spending large chunks of time in the Varsity Club. For other, less popular games, a lot of the empty seats are simply not sold/people not showing up in addition to those other factors I described.

I think a large portion of the alumni dislike the AD, Roby, which hurts attendance also.

You are correct - especially concerning Roby, a.k.a. "HA" The Hockey Assasin . Talk to him sometime at a game (just don't disagree with him). If he can't cool your enthusiasm for NU sports, you are a real diehard!

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        Perhaps Madigan needs to do this type of letter....
        http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m...201402256bflls
        I think my regard for Red Gendron just improved exponentially (not that it was low to begin with). This is an incredibly well-written open letter that acknowledges and thanks the fanbase while asking for help as the season reaches a critical point for Maine. I'd love to see JM so something similar.

Anyone want to bet against a sellout at Alfond this weekend?
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          I think my regard for Red Gendron just improved exponentially (not that it was low to begin with). This is an incredibly well-written open letter that acknowledges and thanks the fanbase while asking for help as the season reaches a critical point for Maine. I'd love to see JM so something similar.

Anyone want to bet against a sellout at Alfond this weekend?
          It's spring break up there so I'd bet against a sellout.
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            It's spring break up there so I'd bet against a sellout.
            That's just it.. he's rallying the town.. whomever's around.. but, enough about them. We need to get our house in order far as fanbase/ attendance goes.

If it takes Aoun, Roby (just kidding), JM, Paws, the tooth fairy & Surge bottles.. so be it. :-)
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

That's just it.. he's rallying the town.. whomever's around.. but, enough about them. We need to get our house in order far as fanbase/ attendance goes.

If it takes Aoun, Roby (just kidding), JM, Paws, the tooth fairy & Surge bottles.. so be it. :-)
              I have been going to NU for 30+ years, this is the way ithas always been. Some seasons better then others, but this is not a new problem. Sustained success will bring crowds. Which I think is where this program is headed.
              The Artist formally known as Steve66

Comment

• Again.. that's just it.. because it has been certain way for how many yrs.. does not mean it needs to continue be that way. Look at Quinnipiac.. they were long marketing that hockey club 'before' it got competitive.. pushing pushing, more than just 2 seasons ago.. great effort in my opinion.

Sometimes those kinds of efforts go a long way in attracting not only fans, but recruits, better AD staff & the ball gets rolling. Let's get the ball rolling..! When's JM giving a rally speech on the common!?!.. let's go..
                :-)
                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I think the marketable subset is a whole lot smaller to begin with. After the discontinuation of football.. the outreach to the Alumni has been less than stellar far as Fall/ Winter go..

Folks @ NU generally do not focus on sports program to begin with.. unlike at BC which has been very savvy about it.. not to mention, been successful at it. Losing Greg Cronin & Johnny Hockey didn't help either..

Good news I see is.. we are making progress & I do think the atmosphere will come back, along with a gritty & strong hockey team. That is the one plus of having JM back there.. he does care about this thing..
                  thanks to you and the other poster for your insight.

Comment

Look at Quinnipiac.. they were long marketing that hockey club 'before' it got competitive.. pushing pushing, more than just 2 seasons ago.. great effort in my opinion.
                    There is not much to do in Hamden, Ct or even New Haven nor is there is really any competition for D1 Ice Hockey $$. The students on campus really have very few choices to make for entertainment.
                    Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

bsa.. of course, you make a good point/s. Yet I have to tell you (JM aside.. he's got plenty on his plate as HC).. our ADs office can use a friendly reminder (or as some would say.. kick in the pants).. to see gm after gm.. attendance as lackluster & genuinely try drum up support for a good hockey team. I have seen more effort up at Tsongas (in Lowell) & again I am going back more than a few seasons..

I would expect our athletics dept to do this for a good basketball team, a good swim team, women's hockey etc. It's great to have team spirit.. it is a huge on/ off campus uniter! When you have a team ranked Nationally & vying for something.. support them d@#n it! Find creative ways! Do not accept the status quo. Its been like that 30 yrs yadda yadda so..show has to go on this way.. no, it doesn't have to.
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Again.. that's just it.. because it has been certain way for how many yrs.. does not mean it needs to continue be that way. Look at Quinnipiac.. they were long marketing that hockey club 'before' it got competitive.. pushing pushing, more than just 2 seasons ago.. great effort in my opinion.

Sometimes those kinds of efforts go a long way in attracting not only fans, but recruits, better AD staff & the ball gets rolling. Let's get the ball rolling..! When's JM giving a rally speech on the common!?!.. let's go..
                        I am very familiar with Quinnipiac what they have done there is incredible. But there AD is 110% hockey. It was a basketball school when he got there.

Comment

• Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
                          I am very familiar with Quinnipiac what they have done there is incredible. But there AD is 110% hockey. It was a basketball school when he got there.
                          That's because he's a BC guy!
                          Originally posted by mookie1995
                          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

I would expect our athletics dept to do this for a good basketball team, a good swim team, women's hockey etc. It's great to have team spirit.. it is a huge on/ off campus uniter! When you have a team ranked Nationally & vying for something.. support them d@#n it! Find creative ways! Do not accept the status quo. Its been like that 30 yrs yadda yadda so..show has to go on this way.. no, it doesn't have to.
                            I have gotten the impression from what I have read and been told that the AD doesn't feel that favoring one team over another is fair. To them, the tiddley winks team should get equal treatment with the Ice Hockey or Basketball team. It really doesn't matter that the possibility of increasing $$ to the school rest with teams that are on the national stage. Only giving these athletes a chance to play with NU on their uniform is quite enough.

And BTW, name me one other sport other than Ice Hockey or Basketball that has the potential to generate any serious $$ for the school?
                            Last edited by bsaeagle64; 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM.
                            Go Huskies!!!!

Real men play Ice Hockey and Football, little boys play the rest of the sports.

Comment

Originally posted by retsap71 View Post
                              And Roby is 110% basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaeagle64 View Post
                                I have gotten the impression from what I have read and been told that the AD doesn't feel that favoring one team over another is fair. To them, the tiddley winks team should get equal treatment with the Ice Hockey or Basketball team. It really doesn't matter that the possibility of increasing $$ to the school rest with teams that are on the national stage. Only giving these athletes a chance to play with NU on their uniform is quite enough.

And BTW, name me one other sport other than Ice Hockey or Basketball that has the potential to generate any serious $$ for the school?
                                Why in the world do you think basketball would generate any revenue?

Comment

Working...
                                X