X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXX: 1 All American at a Time

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    He's definately not our best recruit for next year.

I think next time you see Shuey you should try out some of the "rink manager" shtick you keep doing.

I bet he'd get a kick out of it!
    Shtick, nope the truth. Not that I need confirmation but you might-right from uwbadgers.com "Shuchuk arrived from his position as executive director of Madison Ice, Inc., where he oversaw daily operations of Madison Ice Arena and Hartmeyer Ice Arena in Madison." He had no college coaching experience at all and hadn't coached kids over high school age, prior to Wisconsin. No USHL, no division 3, etc.

But to be fair it isn't his fault, it's the guy that hired him.....
    Last edited by WiscTJK; 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM.
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      "Shuchuk arrived from his position as executive director of Madison Ice, Inc., where he oversaw daily operations of Madison Ice Arena and Hartmeyer Ice Arena in Madison." He had no college coaching experience at all and hadn't coached kids over high school age, prior to Wisconsin. No USHL, no division 3, etc.
      When there is a timeout or a critical point in the game Shuey is the one diagramming plays and instructing the troops. Eaves stands up on the bench seemingly not paying attention. Apparently he has picked up a lot of hockey knowledge overseeing ice rink operations.

Comment

Originally posted by oldicecoach View Post
        When there is a timeout or a critical point in the game Shuey is the one diagramming plays and instructing the troops. Eaves stands up on the bench seemingly not paying attention. Apparently he has picked up a lot of hockey knowledge overseeing ice rink operations.
        Could be he picked up something along the way about winning hockey by being one of very few guys to win a NCAA championship, A Calder Cup, and a Stanley Cup. Or playing for world class coaches like Brian Murray or Dave Tibbett. (Or even Barry Melrose, I guess.) Or playing with the best Hockey player in the world. Or in his 15 years of pro hockey.

But yeah, it's probably the ice rink thing that's important.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
          Never thought I would agree with you on anything.

Comment

Could be he picked up something along the way about winning hockey by being one of very few guys to win a NCAA championship, A Calder Cup, and a Stanley Cup. Or playing for world class coaches like Brian Murray or Dave Tibbett. (Or even Barry Melrose, I guess.) Or playing with the best Hockey player in the world. Or in his 15 years of pro hockey.

If he was so good at coaching why did he have the job he did and no experience coaching at any level over high school?????

Winning hockey - like 2 wins in 25 games. Oh yeah that's winning hockey alright. There have been plenty of great players that don't make good coaches.

I appreciate that he was a great player for a lot of years, but it's clear there is something very very wrong in Madison even if you don't see it.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by oldicecoach View Post
              Knowledge and coaching are two very different things. You think that is good the head coach is not paying attention or diagramming plays as you state it?

Bottom line the coaching staff isn't getting it done.

Comment

There's a lot of times when the HC doesn't diagram the play. Last weekend at the UW gal's games for instance, the UMD top assistant was doing that all the time (we always sit behind the opposing bench), though she has a tad more experience than the 2 UW guys combined. That experience is key, not who is doing it. She was even diagraming for the shootout, which seems funny to me.

I do want to apologize for getting a little too whipped up into a frenzy on the Boeser phone call thing. We would need to know the context and timing of it to use this as another ****ing fact. The record and what we see on the ice is enough.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  You think that is good the head coach is not paying attention or diagramming plays as you state it?
                  It's a very common practice in hockey, and in other sports, it depends on the HC. McCarthy has called plays for the Packers, a lot of head coaches don't. Now McCarthy isn't going to either. I don't think the great Al McGuire ever diagrammed a play in his life. Shuey is certainly capable of drawing up a faceoff play and coaching situational hockey. Which plays they run are the least of the problems.

The point isn't that anyone can't criticize Shuchuk for what he does or doesn't do as a coach, they certainly can. It's that his qualifications are sufficient to be an assistant college hockey coach. He was a captain everywhere below the NHL and an assistant coach in the AHL at Springfield under Marty McSorley while playing his last pro year. I'd imagine he took the Madison Ice job for the same reasons anybody raising a family does. The pay was sufficient, he could stay in one place, (in Madison) and still coach hockey. Not because he couldn't get/wasn't qualified for a hockey coaching job somewhere else.

Shuey is a guy that made a good career out of a great pair of hands and a relentless attitude. And pretty much nothing else. That appeals to me personally, but again, it doesn't mean he is the very best guy in the entire world for his current position, or that he shouldn't be open for criticism for the actual performance of his job. Criticizing him for being just a "local rink manager" is baseless and ignorant.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I do want to apologize for getting a little too whipped up into a frenzy on the Boeser phone call thing. We would need to know the context and timing of it to use this as another ****ing fact. The record and what we see on the ice is enough.
                    Not your fault. Andy's original statement clearly implied that UW coaches were completely unaware one of their recruits was currently playing (in season) in the USHL. His second statement back tracked from that and maybe instead they were just unaware of his physical location at the moment of the call.

Who knows now? Maybe they just said, "Hey ya' Brock, how's it going? How was everything up in good ol' Burnsville?"

And he replied, "What the ****!? I'm in Waterloo! Been here for three ****ing days you MORON!!!!! I'M SO THROUGH WITH YOU GUYS!"

Probably not, but unless Andy chooses to clarify it more, which it doesn't seem like he will, it's pretty hard to put any faith in any of it.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      It's a very common practice in hockey, and in other sports, it depends on the HC. McCarthy has called plays for the Packers, a lot of head coaches don't. Now McCarthy isn't going to either. I don't think the great Al McGuire ever diagrammed a play in his life. Shuey is certainly capable of drawing up a faceoff play and coaching situational hockey. Which plays they run are the least of the problems.

The point isn't that anyone can't criticize Shuchuk for what he does or doesn't do as a coach, they certainly can. It's that his qualifications are sufficient to be an assistant college hockey coach. He was a captain everywhere below the NHL and an assistant coach in the AHL at Springfield under Marty McSorley while playing his last pro year. I'd imagine he took the Madison Ice job for the same reasons anybody raising a family does. The pay was sufficient, he could stay in one place, (in Madison) and still coach hockey. Not because he couldn't get/wasn't qualified for a hockey coaching job somewhere else.

Shuey is a guy that made a good career out of a great pair of hands and a relentless attitude. And pretty much nothing else. That appeals to me personally, but again, it doesn't mean he is the very best guy in the entire world for his current position, or that he shouldn't be open for criticism for the actual performance of his job. Criticizing him for being just a "local rink manager" is baseless and ignorant.
                      You don't know me or what I know but call me ignorant. The point is he certainly wasn't the best person for the job with no experience coaching or recruiting at anywhere near this level. Again I don't blame him I blame the guy doing the hiring. I am done with these threads. Nothing is going to happen to your golden boy eaves and his inexperienced assistants anyway as the athletic department and king Barry apparently don't care about the state of the program.
                      Last edited by WiscTJK; 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Guys... I think it is fair to say that if any comment like that occurred, it likely meant little in the big picture. It is pretty obvious that the kid got spooked by what he saw on the ice and (likely) how he thought it might look when he's in college (which will probably only be a few seasons anyway). Decommitting right before the signing period sort of tips that hand. If it was about anything else, he likely would have decommitted much sooner.

He wouldn't be heading to UND if UW looked even half decent this year. He'd go to where he wanted to in the first place.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                          Guys... I think it is fair to say that if any comment like that occurred, it likely meant little in the big picture. It is pretty obvious that the kid got spooked by what he saw on the ice and (likely) how he thought it might look when he's in college (which will probably only be a few seasons anyway). Decommitting right before the signing period sort of tips that hand. If it was about anything else, he likely would have decommitted much sooner.

He wouldn't be heading to UND if UW looked even half decent this year. He'd go to where he wanted to in the first place.
                          That is all probably very true. But I don't know if that's even the question. There is a large contingent here that (understandably) want Eaves' head on a platter. Andy, who is well respected for his work and is sometimes in a position to know behind the scenes info, implied here and elsewhere that the Badger coaches blew up Boeser's recruitment somehow. People (that don't post on this board) are even asking me if that's actually true. Seems all around the question folks are more interested in knowing the answer to is was the UW staff incompetent, or not? And if so, how?
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

That is all probably very true. But I don't know if that's even the question. There is a large contingent here that (understandably) want Eaves' head on a platter. Andy, who is well respected for his work and is sometimes in a position to know behind the scenes info, implied here and elsewhere that the Badger coaches blew up Boeser's recruitment somehow. People (that don't post on this board) are even asking me if that's actually true. Seems all around the question folks are more interested in knowing the answer to is was the UW staff incompetent, or not? And if so, how?
                            Hammy has the right idea. I believe Boeser's decommit was rooted on the status of the program and where they will be in his limited time in school. I think he really wanted to go to UW but couldn't realistically do it given the current state. I think there's also a realistic fear with forwards that Eaves will stifle them offensively. Whether that is true or not, there are people out there that believe it.

As for the other stuff, I'm not sure how much it mattered. I think he's still a Badger if things didn't look so bleak with the program. I Just didn't like the way I heard they handled the recruitment and I fired off a post in frustration. I need to be better than that. I apologize. I also think they could have done a better job with communication when he was still committed.
                            Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna get nailed by some but here goes;

JFC, you apologists, what the **** do you guys see that nobody else does? This is insane. This is one of, if not the worst D-1 college hockey teams I have ever seen. I AM NOT BLAMING THE PLAYERS. As I've stated before, if I were offered a scholarship, I'm there. This situation will not get any better soon.

Brock is not the last blue chipper we'll lose; stay tuned.

Yeah, yeah, they're young blah, blah, climb the mountain, blah, blah, puppies, kittens, little birdies. Kumbaya....BULL ****!
                              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                Hammy has the right idea. I believe Boeser's decommit was rooted on the status of the program and where they will be in his limited time in school. I think he really wanted to go to UW but couldn't realistically do it given the current state. I think there's also a realistic fear with forwards that Eaves will stifle them offensively. Whether that is true or not, there are people out there that believe it.

As for the other stuff, I'm not sure how much it mattered. I think he's still a Badger if things didn't look so bleak with the program. I Just didn't like the way I heard they handled the recruitment and I fired off a post in frustration. I need to be better than that. I apologize. I also think they could have done a better job with communication when he was still committed.
                                Excellent post and really well said. Thanks very much for taking the time to post and clarifying your thoughts on the subject.

Moving forward, it appears the Badgers will now be in the market for one additional forward, and probably an additional defenseman for next year. It's going to be an interesting spring on that front.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X