This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    If you consider yourself a powerhouse program, I wouldn't think you would have to go through 3 years of mediocrity to get to one successful season. And if you do, you better hit on that one season. Do most Badgers fans consider last season a successful one?
    Not me, because it was year 4 of the dreaded cycle.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXX: 1 All American at a Time

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Maybe if Wisconsin coaches didn't call him while playing in the USHL for Waterloo this year and ask how he's doing in Burnsville they would have had a better chance at him. Just a thought.
      I can understand this happening with Corbin McGuire (ok I can't understand this ever happening w/ out someone being fired), but not the most important recruit in your upcoming class.

At this point, Eaves and staff should just resign and let the players coach themselves the rest of the season. It can't get any uglier and at least no one will be coaching them to play not to lose if they are up in a game.
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Maybe if Wisconsin coaches didn't call him while playing in the USHL for Waterloo this year and ask how he's doing in Burnsville they would have had a better chance at him. Just a thought.
        totally insane. it's bad they forgot where he was playing but really, to ask how it's going is ridiculous. You should be able to deduce much of that by reading about the games for *****sakes
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          totally insane. it's bad they forgot where he was playing but really, to ask how it's going is ridiculous. You should be able to deduce much of that by reading about the games for *****sakes
          It is shocking that they were not monitoring his performance in games via box scores and even reading local articles on team he plays for. To not know and keep track of the guy is just deplorable.

It sure makes you wonder how he researches recruits. Some of us were scouring the BCHL and AJHL league stats looking for targets last year before Rockwood and Ustaski signed as UW didn't have a full load of players committed at that point. I was going the BCHL site when Rumpel was committed and still playing there wondering how he was doing. We are doing more research than Eaves? Unbelievable.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            It is shocking that they were not monitoring his performance in games via box scores and even reading local articles on team he plays for. To not know and keep track of the guy is just deplorable.

It sure makes you wonder how he researches recruits. Some of us were scouring the BCHL and AJHL league stats looking for targets last year before Rockwood and Ustaski signed as UW didn't have a full load of players committed at that point. I was going the BCHL site when Rumpel was committed and still playing there wondering how he was doing. We are doing more research than Eaves? Unbelievable.
            I think it is a complete load of crap to suggest that the coaching staff wasn't paying attention or wasn't keeping track of his performance.

With young athletes (especially heavily promoted ones like this), what are they going to want to talk about? THEMSELVES!!! If I were a coach I would certainly take the approach of "So how have things been going?" to allow the player to respond with "Really well, I had a monster game against XYZ!". This would allow me to reply with "Yeah, I saw that you had X points in that game, that was pretty good!".
            This gives the kid a chance to blow his own horn, and also feeds into the positive feedback loop from an authority figure; "Look at me, I did something good!" "Yes, yes you did and we are so proud of you!".
            But then again, I'm certainly not a coach or a recruiter...so feel free to tell me how full of crap I am.

So Eaves may have said Burnsville when he meant to say Waterloo, mistakes happen...I know that I've said the wrong name of a city or a person when I've been talking to someone. I'd love to know what the source on this conversation is. Is this something that Chuck got directly from Brock? From a teammate who overheard the actual call? From a 3rd hand source that heard someone say something about something?

Alternately, who is to say that Eaves didn't have knowledge of a trip that Boeser had made to Burnsville, its only a few hours from Waterloo so it isn't out of the question. Maybe the intent was to show that the coaching staff had been paying attention, and had been paying attention to things beyond the game and it got lost in translation.

I know that the popular thing to do is bash Eaves and the rest of the coaching staff, but unless any of you know every move that the coaching staff is making, every box score that they look at, every highlight clip they watch on YouTube, every phone call that they make, every chart that they have on the progress of a potential recruit...this is all pure speculation and is highly unfair and unfounded in my eyes.

So yes, I'll offer an excuse for why Eaves may have said Burnsville on accident, and another one for why he may have said it on purpose.

But if you take a step back and take a look at what is grounded in fact and you'll see that we don't really know much (if anything) about what is actually happening in the coaching offices.

That should add enough fuel to the fire to get a few more pages worth of ranting from the anti-Eaves crowd. I'll sit back and enjoy.

Comment

Probably a bit of an overreaction on this thing. It's inexcusable but it was in the fall. Season may not have even been underway, I don't know. It still shouldn't have happened but let's not go crazy here. And it wasn't Eaves. It was an assistant.

Comment

Probably a bit of an overreaction on this thing. It's inexcusable but it was in the fall. Season may not have even been underway, I don't know. It still shouldn't have happened but let's not go crazy here. And it wasn't Eaves. It was an assistant.
                Probably a guy who was a rink manager previously. Sounds like something he might do. Still Eaves is responsible as he hired the assistants with no college coaching experience.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  If you consider yourself a powerhouse program, I wouldn't think you would have to go through 3 years of mediocrity to get to one successful season. And if you do, you better hit on that one season. Do most Badgers fans consider last season a successful one?
                  Last year was the lowest high point of the "4 year cycle" history. Good to know it sucks going 24-11-2 and getting a #1 seed.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  I have continually said my top choice would be Mike Hastings (fairly young, coached in the USHL, understands the younger generation, turned around Mankato - all things I am looking for). Mark Osiecki, Don Granato would be my next tier. Gwoz would work too with a strong assistant who would take over once he retires. I don't know if Mark Johnson would even want the job, but he has been away from the Men's game for 13 years and has a great thing going with the women.
                  What makes you think Hastings woulds leave Minnesota State? Oz and Granato would be good choices I suppose. Isn't Gwoz currently working for an NHL team?

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
                    What makes you think Hastings woulds leave Minnesota State? Oz and Granato would be good choices I suppose. Isn't Gwoz currently working for an NHL team?
                    1. A chance to return a sleeping giant to its former glory. 2. Good old fashioned green backs.
                    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Didn't see that coming. Thought he was a rodent for sure. Kinda shows this recruiting thing IS a bigger mess because UW didn't lose out to the hometown team.
                      Should have seen it coming Timmy!

My money was on NoDak. After my recent discussions on boards, and face to face with Badger hockey fans, I think there was a 1% chance (+/- 1%) of him playing in Madison, and then landing in Grand Forks. When he committed, the Badgers were pretty good and because of program history, he felt pretty good. I think if really wanted Minnesota, he would have committed to them at the time he committed to UW.

I'm not surprised. NoDak just continues to reload, ****ing reload, and ****ing reload. THAT tells me something about our program. That's not a shot at NoDak, it's a shot at ours.

I knew it was coming, but the news still ****ed me off.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Let's take a look at this

Maybe if Wisconsin coaches ...
                        To be fair you didn't say it was Eaves, but knowing that it wasn't you could have done us all a favor by saying so...

... didn't call him while playing in the USHL for Waterloo this year and ask how he's doing in Burnsville ...
                        To me that sure sounds like you were implying that it was during the season...

... Just a thought. ...
                        You had to know that a drop of blood in these waters would send the sharks into a frenzy.

You're better than that Andy, or at least you should be.

Comment

The Power Play with CJ guy called Boeser to No Dak in the beginning of December. I think it just sounded weird because of his accent.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                            Let's take a look at this

To be fair you didn't say it was Eaves, but knowing that it wasn't you could have done us all a favor by saying so...

To me that sure sounds like you were implying that it was during the season...

You had to know that a drop of blood in these waters would send the sharks into a frenzy.

You're better than that Andy, or at least you should be.
                            At this point I have no idea if that was the whole story Chuck was basing some of his recent comments on; Or if there's a whole lot more to the story beyond this particular incident; Or what the real nature of this incident was exactly; Or if the UW coaching staff soured on Boeser simply because he decommitted and there was a trust problem going forward as is often the case; Or if they soured for some other reason; Or if they didn't but lost out anyway; Or if there were other incidents; Or if there is a whole lot more to tell but Chuck can't say much because of his relationship with Waterloo.

I'm not losing sleep over it, though.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              At this point I have no idea if that was the whole story Chuck was basing some of his recent comments on; Or if there's a whole lot more to the story beyond this particular incident; Or what the real nature of this incident was exactly; Or if the UW coaching staff soured on Boeser simply because he decommitted and there was a trust problem going forward as is often the case; Or if they soured for some other reason; Or if they didn't but lost out anyway; Or if there were other incidents; Or if there is a whole lot more to tell but Chuck can't say much because of his relationship with Waterloo.

I'm not losing sleep over it, though.
                              Your not losing sleep over losing our best recruit for next year? Yep just another banner day for Badger Hockey....

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                                Your not losing sleep over losing our best recruit for next year? Yep just another banner day for Badger Hockey....
                                He's definately not our best recruit for next year.

I think next time you see Shuey you should try out some of the "rink manager" shtick you keep doing.

I bet he'd get a kick out of it!
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X