X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. XXX: 1 All American at a Time

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Departure percentage for Kerdiles and McCabe? Kerdiles is so effing good, but you guys seem to get lucky with guys staying an extra year.
    From what I've heard, there's a reasonable (don't ask me exactly what "reasonable" means) chance that Kerdiles stays because of the Ducks' depth at forward, which might make the Ducks tell him to stay. (Also the thing where he's missed significant time in both of his 2 seasons.)
    Last edited by WiscDC; 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
      From what I've heard, there's a reasonable (don't ask me exactly what "reasonable" means) chance that Kerdiles stays because of the Ducks' depth at forward, which might make the Ducks tell him to stay. (Also the thing where he's missed significant time in both of his 2 seasons.)
      I'm not so sure there will not be several holes in the Ducks lineup at forward. Sellane (turns 44 this Summer and I'm not sure he is the second coming of Chelios or Gordie Howe), Koivu (39), Penner (at 31 is on pace to have his best season in several and has been on consecutive 1 year prove it type deals...pretty sure he will be looking to get paid again), Winnik, and Jackman are all UFA's this Summer. There will likely be a few forward spots coming free.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        Departure percentage for Kerdiles and McCabe? Kerdiles is so effing good, but you guys seem to get lucky with guys staying an extra year.
        I don't have the exact stat in front of me, but before this past off season Wisconsin had lost the most early departures over the past few years. I believe Denver was No. 2.

As for your question, I'd say McCabe 92%, Kerdiles 80%.

Edit: Found the stat I was talking about....

"Since Wisconsin's last run to the Frozen Four in 2010, no team in college hockey has lost more talent in terms of early departures than Wisconsin. In total the Badgers have lost nine underclassmen over the past three off-seasons.

For comparison sake, Boston University is second with eight early departures, followed by Denver (seven) and Michigan State (five). Notre Dame, North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Boston College all have had four early departures since 2010."

Obviously Minnesota had a bunch this past off-season, so I'm sure they would rank up there close now.
        Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          I don't have the exact stat in front of me, but before this past off season Wisconsin had lost the most early departures over the past few years. I believe Denver was No. 2.

As for your question, I'd say McCabe 92%, Kerdiles 80%.

Edit: Found the stat I was talking about....

"Since Wisconsin's last run to the Frozen Four in 2010, no team in college hockey has lost more talent in terms of early departures than Wisconsin. In total the Badgers have lost nine underclassmen over the past three off-seasons.

For comparison sake, Boston University is second with eight early departures, followed by Denver (seven) and Michigan State (five). Notre Dame, North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Boston College all have had four early departures since 2010."

Obviously Minnesota had a bunch this past off-season, so I'm sure they would rank up there close now.
          Yeah, Wisconsin has lost a ton of high end talent early recently. Doesn't surprise me they are #1 in this stat recently. Gophers went thru a similar stretch in the mid 2000's (Johnson, Okposo, Kessel, Schroeder, etc..). We've been much luckier lately. Even last year's losses were mostly expected and were able to be planned for.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Yeah, Wisconsin has lost a ton of high end talent early recently. Doesn't surprise me they are #1 in this stat recently. Gophers went thru a similar stretch in the mid 2000's (Johnson, Okposo, Kessel, Schroeder, etc..). We've been much luckier lately. Even last year's losses were mostly expected and were able to be planned for.
            The last part of your post is something that is overlooked. Departures that can be planned for don't hurt you (as much). You can treat a Jake McCabe like a senior right now. It's the surprises that kill teams.

Comment

When I said extra year, I consider Kerdiles staying one more year as an "extra year" out of him. I know you've had a lot of juniors leave, but I'd say getting three years out of those players is a win. I'm thinking mostly of the defensemen off the top of my head.

Comment

The last part of your post is something that is overlooked. Departures that can be planned for don't hurt you (as much). You can treat a Jake McCabe like a senior right now. It's the surprises that kill teams.
                Couldn't agree more.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

so ya say McCabe 100% gone
                  90 for kerdiles and labate

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                    so ya say McCabe 100% gone
                    90 for kerdiles and labate
                    LaBate is not close to 90%. The odds are better that he returns than he leaves.

Comment

LaBate is not close to 90%. The odds are better that he returns than he leaves.

good to hear I would like to see everyone of them back but I dont think that is remotely possible

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                        good to hear I would like to see everyone of them back but I dont think that is remotely possible
                        I have a hunch that we may see Kerdiles in red and white next year. No way LaBate should leave but after Woods last year who knows. McCabe is gone.

In my opinion 95% for McCabe, 75% for Kerdiles, <40% for LaBate.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                          I have a hunch that we may see Kerdiles in red and white next year. No way LaBate should leave but after Woods last year who knows. McCabe is gone.

In my opinion 95% for McCabe, 75% for Kerdiles, <40% for LaBate.
                          nice to hear Nic may retrun those type of draft picks you can normally assume they are gone

Comment

"Chuck", going back a couple years (I don't recall), how hard did we pursue Will Butcher? I thought he was huge loss. MCR Jr knows Will's past with the Capitols, is a huge Avalanche fan and know's Will's an Av's draftee. He was wondering as well.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Threw up an update today on some committed recruits and how they are doing. Brock Boeser and Matthew Freytag both made moves to the USHL this weekend.

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                "Chuck", going back a couple years (I don't recall), how hard did we pursue Will Butcher? I thought he was huge loss. MCR Jr knows Will's past with the Capitols, is a huge Avalanche fan and know's Will's an Av's draftee. He was wondering as well.
                                I don't know specifics on how hard he was recruited but it's pretty fair to assume they went after him hard. Unfortunately for UW, Butcher's father's connection with Steve Miller was too much to overcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X