NCAA Tournament Prognostications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Tournament Prognostications

We'll see the first NCAA rankings tomorrow afternoon which will start to put the pieces of the puzzle together for us on how things are shaking out this year.

Here is my complete guesswork at how things are looking right now without even crunching every known number we have out there.

This of course is based off of assuming all teams that are winning their leagues currently, win their automatic bid.

East:

1. Plattsburgh
    2. Norwich
    3. Trinity
    4. Babson
    5. Geneseo
    6. Nichols
    7. Salem State

West:

1. St. Norbert
    2. Stevens Point
    3. Adrian
    4. St. Thomas

I say all three play-ins would be in the East in this scenario setting up:

Salem State @ Norwich
    Nichols @ Trinity
    Geneseo @ Babson

Quarterfinals:
    Trinity/Nichols vs. Salem State/Norwich
    Babson/Geneseo @ Plattsburgh
    St. Thomas @ St. Norbert
    Adrian @ Stevens Point

The other scenario I could see is for the final Pool C slot right now which looks very very close to me between Geneseo and Eau Claire.

So lets also show how it would look if Eau Claire gets the nod for the final Pool C.

East:

1. Plattsburgh
    2. Norwich
    3. Trinity
    4. Babson
    5. Nichols
    6. Salem State

West:

1. St. Norbert
    2. Stevens Point
    3. Adrian
    4. St. Thomas
    5. Eau Claire

Two play-ins in the East and one in the west I would think.

Eau Claire @ St. Thomas
    Nichols @ Babson
    Salem State @ Trinity

Quarterfinals:

St. Thomas/Eau Claire @ St. Norbert
    Adrian @ Stevens Point
    Trinity/Salem State @ Norwich
    Nichols/Babson @ Plattsburgh

Those be my thoughts....
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: NCAA Tournament Prognostications

Geez, that's pretty darn good ! I don't see a whole lot of wiggle room. Of course, there's always the shocker in the conference tourney's to blow everything up. Like Oswego winning SUNYAC tourney and St. Olaf winning the MIAC! I like listing the top teams as if they were all Pool C candidates and plugging them in if they fall in their conference tourney's. Just work your way down the list as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by admiral0417 View Post
      Geez, that's pretty darn good ! I don't see a whole lot of wiggle room. Of course, there's always the shocker in the conference tourney's to blow everything up. Like Oswego winning SUNYAC tourney and St. Olaf winning the MIAC! I like listing the top teams as if they were all Pool C candidates and plugging them in if they fall in their conference tourney's. Just work your way down the list as needed.

There will be upsets and at least one will make everyone scratch their heads and scramble all the nice clean scenarios that everyone comes up with. For example. Buffalo State or Fredonia wins the SUNYAC - that makes Adrian available to be either an East team or a West team. Not saying that's going to be the one that scrambles the eggs, but usually we have at least one that nobody saw coming, and that lets the committee do weird things.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        There will be upsets and at least one will make everyone scratch their heads and scramble all the nice clean scenarios that everyone comes up with. For example. Buffalo State or Fredonia wins the SUNYAC - that makes Adrian available to be either an East team or a West team. Not saying that's going to be the one that scrambles the eggs, but usually we have at least one that nobody saw coming, and that lets the committee do weird things.
        Adrian is always a West team. Where they can play within 500 miles allows them to play certain schools in each region.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I am not sold on Babson and/or Norwich making it thru the ECAC East tournament unscathed.

Comment

Anything shy of a Norwich-Babson final put either team in some jeopardy. If Geneseo wins the SUNYAC tourney, Plattsburgh would claim one of the Pool C's and probably nudge the loser of Norwich/Babson out. If Plattsburgh beats Geneseo, then I would say both Norwich & Babson would make it (provided they play each other in their final). Trinity is the wild card. If they don't win their tourney I'm not sure how that would shake out.

Comment

Prez, in your scenario using current conference leaders as Pool A qualifiers, wouldn't Geneseo be the Pool A team and Plattsburgh would be a Pool C. That would take care of the Geneseo/Eau Claire question, wouldn't it?
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                Prez, in your scenario using current conference leaders as Pool A qualifiers, wouldn't Geneseo be the Pool A team and Plattsburgh would be a Pool C. That would take care of the Geneseo/Eau Claire question, wouldn't it?
                Should Geneseo get the AQ (Pool A) than, IMO, yes.
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

If this plays out, beware the Fish.
                  Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                  Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                  Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                    Correct. I forgot that Plattsburgh was technically still second in the SUNYAC.

This all means mush as it will all change over the next few weeks when these teams start losing and the upsets happen in the conference tournaments.

Hopefully when the NCAA rankings get released today, they'll back up my beliefs on where teams stand currently. Or I may have missed the boat completely. We'll see later today.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

I think Babson has to win to get in, in the eyes of the NCAA they're 15-4-1, who have they beat who will be ranked? Mass-boston is the only one I can think of who could be ranked but probably won't be with a record of 12-5-3. Babson will have a record against ranked of 0-3, losing to Norwich X2 and Williams
                      http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

I agree with regards to Babson, but they seem to be held in high esteem in the polls AND rankings. I've been saying it all year..."where's the beef?" Having them ranked 3rd or 4th in the national polls last week was crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Adrian is always a West team. Where they can play within 500 miles allows them to play certain schools in each region.
                          You know what I meant, for heaven's sake. Where they can play is more important for the bracket, and for those purposes, Adrian can go to (some) of the midWest, (some) of the midWest can go to Adrian, or they can go to (the midwestern)part of the East or the (midwestern) part of the East can go there or ...

They are like a hinge - they should be their own region
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Still nothing at NCAA.com

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                              Still nothing at NCAA.com
                              Regional Rankings have been posted on NCAA.com!

Comment

Working...
                              X