Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

After earning it's first B1G win against Michigan a couple of weeks ago, Penn State makes it's first visit to Yost Ice Arena this weekend. And I want to see more game threads, so I plan on starting one every week, regardless of the opponent.

Outside of the win against Michigan, Penn State is still working out a lot of kinks.

And Michigan now has a 3 game losing streak, thanks to getting swept by Minnesota last weekend.

Right now, the #1 thing killing Michigan is scoring goals. They generated a ton of chanes against the Gohpers all weekned, only to either miss or make a shot that their goalie didn't have to work too hard to stop. Boo is well over 20 games without a point, after having an electrifying freshman season. He's still really fast, but speed isn't everything. Copp has gotten some goals, but even with his effort, he can't lift the entire team with that A. The only real bright spot is Compher, who is leading the B1G in freshman scoring.

Thanks to their struggles, IMHO, the defense is now starting to break down- to try to help score more. Minny jumped all over that all weekend... And that lead to some pretty stupid penalties, as frustrations with losing really kicks in.

And our goalies... well, if it were me, I would ride Nagelvoort's pads the rest of the season. He had a bad weekend against Penn State, but as I see it, his weaknesses are smaller than Racine's (who seems to have a pretty sizable 5 hole).

Our dream of a regular season B1G championship is pretty dim by now- behind Minny by 12, and Wisconsin by 5. Ugh. Just as looming, we are tied with OSU for 3rd.

Should be an interesting weekend (that I will miss)

Re: Penn State @ Michigan, Feb 21 and 22.

Not that I'm extremely superstitious or anything, but our record isn't so great when alfa starts a game thread.

Penn State hosted MSU last week and tied on Friday. They looked decent, but anyone can look decent against Sparty. I didn't see their game Saturday.

I thought we looked strong the second half of Friday's game against Minnesota. I think we're realistically out of contention for the season title, but could still get that first round bye for the conference tournament. 6 of Michigan's remaining 8 games are at Yost.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Also, Saturday's game is Don Cherry night. The Children of Yost encourage everyone to wear their most hideous/awesome Don Cherry inspired outfit.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Not that I'm extremely superstitious or anything, but our record isn't so great when alfa starts a game thread.

Penn State hosted MSU last week and tied on Friday. They looked decent, but anyone can look decent against Sparty. I didn't see their game Saturday.

I thought we looked strong the second half of Friday's game against Minnesota. I think we're realistically out of contention for the season title, but could still get that first round bye for the conference tournament. 6 of Michigan's remaining 8 games are at Yost.
        So we know who will start a thread next Monday, then?

I considered that, but it would be nice to have a game specific discussion, and perahps some Penn State fans will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          So we know who will start a thread next Monday, then?

I considered that, but it would be nice to have a game specific discussion, and perahps some Penn State fans will show up.
          Not me. I started the season thread the year we missed the tournament and have vowed never to start another. I still think that it was my fault....
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Well crap.
            Big Ten suspends Downing and Sinelli one game apiece

When is Lohan supposed to be healthy enough to play? Do we get Chaisson and Szuma? How ready is Mac Bennet to see even more ice time? Oh, dear lord, does this mean more ice time for Clare?

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Well crap.

When is Lohan supposed to be healthy enough to play? Do we get Chaisson and Szuma? How ready is Mac Bennet to see even more ice time? Oh, dear lord, does this mean more ice time for Clare?
              shooters better show up on Friday.

And good thing for my blood pressure that I won't. Defensive problems are bad enough, taking people away- ugh.

Comment

Well crap.

Sinelli deserved it. I think that Downing's is a result of BOTH elbows he threw. One wouldn't be enough, but two yes...

It hurts but at least I won't have to see Downing let pucks out of the zone in person. He's young, he'll learn...
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Game day. Lots of hockey for me today. School declared a "calamity day" for slick roads, so mini-me and I are settling in to watch Finland vs Sweden, followed by USA-Canada. Of course the day will be capped off by the continuation of heated Michigan- Penn State rivalry...

It may surprise you, but the all-time series between UofM and PSU is tied at 1-1-0.
                  Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by bluevox View Post
                    Game day. Lots of hockey for me today. School declared a "calamity day" for slick roads, so mini-me and I are settling in to watch Finland vs Sweden, followed by USA-Canada. Of course the day will be capped off by the continuation of heated Michigan- Penn State rivalry...

It may surprise you, but the all-time series between UofM and PSU is tied at 1-1-0.
                    My work should have called a "calamity day". Saw my boss slip a little as he was walking in. I thought I had chosen the cleared path and I slipped even more and almost fell.

Here's hoping the hockey results are not a calamity.

I wonder if any Penn State fans are making the trip. My friends and I tried to convince all the fans we met there to take road trips, especially to come visit Yost.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

I don't think you guys will have too much of a problem this weekend. Penn State just doesn't play well on the road. They still put up 50,000 shots but they're 1-8 on the road (only win at RMU) for a reason. It's like why teams shouldn't fear us, the worst we'll do is beat you in a shootout in your building.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Wow! What an awesome comeback win for Penn State on the road. Looks like these guys are well on their way to becoming an actual team to be taken seriously.

Comment

M barrassing performances by this team. One NCAA spot ready to be vacated.

Every aspect of the program to be questioned

Comment

There is absolutely no pressure on the Penn State players or program right now. No one expects them to do anything. They are very well coached, never seem to give up, and get a crap load of shots to the net. It's actually quite scary playing them for those reasons. Every game seems to be a national championship type game for them.
                            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I think this is Red's last season.

Red said it himself. He will step aside when he feels he's getting in the way. He doesn't even seem to be coaching the team on the bench. It seems like Powers is doing the most of it and Red is sort of overlooking it. I've talked to a couple of past players and from what they've told me just by talking to him, he seems to be losing it. Which is sad.

He's a legend. The last thing I want to do is force him out and wind up like football is right now. But you can't wait too long for these kinds of things or you'll end up like state.

Let the speculation begin.

And yes, I seriously believe Babcock is a legitimate option. Short list: Mike Babcock, Danton Cole, Jeff Blashill.

This is far from the worst loss in Michigan history. Far. So the revisionists can sit down and take a stroll back into the 80s, at your own risk, of course.
                              ---
                              National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                              Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                              19 Conference Championships
                              10 Conference Tournament Championships
                              2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X