Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXIX: Yes, this is the Rumpel Rink!

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
    ...but this roster is almost completely devoid of high end D1 players and unless the new crop of Freshmen excel, we could be looking up at everyone including Penn State in the Big 10 standings!
    I look for Penn State to be much improved next season which leads me to believe that what you say here is a distinct possibility.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Freshmen class (Rockwood, Ustaski, Ford's, Wagner, Dougherty, Linhart, Hughes) is solid, I hope you guys realize this. Minnesota wasn't suppose to be this good with this plethora of freshmen this season. I look for Besse and LaBate to have big years, Soleway will be a beast next year, Ustaski will be scary for all opponents, my gut says Rockwood is the next Zengerle, Hughes is a 15-20 goal scorer, and the defense will be stacked with Schulze, Wittchow, Drake, Davison, Linhart, Dougherty, and Ford.

I realize I may be overly optimistic about next year but it can be surprising.

I assume Eaves and Shuchuk will be out recruiting in the next week to fill the remaining spots. That being said, I am thinking a transfer is not unlikely.

Anyway, here is to next year. On Wisconsin.
      WISCONSIN BADGERS
      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        (WISCDC - this isn't direct solely or even mainly at you)

I never feel that way. They're completely separate and if hoops wins today they will have earned all of the attention that they receive. Bigger stage = lights shining brighter.

Hockey fans need to get past this inter-UW inferiority complex due to attention levels. Imagine being a UW Cross Country fan or Softball fan. To be honest, it's kinda Jan-like. Think about it.

If the hockey team wants more attention, they'll need to do something worthy of attention and do it consistently for several years at a time.

Either way though, the football first, basketball second and hockey after that ranking will never change. Not at UW and not nationwide.

I for one am very happy to follow a college that has multiple programs that are successful. Sure, I wish football and hoops could get over the hump and at least contend for a title, but even the status-quo is pretty good in comparison to other places.

And I wouldn't trade the multi-sport success to go back to the "Glory Years" where UW hockey was the only thing in town worth following. To be honest, those "Glory Years" are starting to be an awfully long time ago. 2 titles now in the last 30 years.

The eighties and nineties weren't as great as some seem to remember. Better than now? Sure. Still thought of as one of the premier hockey programs? Yep. But 4 of our titles were won by 1983.

Again, if hockey (fan) wants to be respected and get attention, then hockey team needs to (re) earn it -once again, the glory years are a LONG time ago - and stand alongside, never again in front of football and basketball.

Go Badger ballers!

I think we have a decent shot at Arizona. It's been 14 years now since the last FF. Sure would be fun to have that happen again and especially with this team as they are far better than the 2000 team.
        I worded it weirdly. The "hockey swept under the rug" comment wasn't meant as a hockey vs other sports comment; it was more of a hockey season vs not hockey season comment. Had they won 2 games this weekend, that trip to the frozen four would mean a lot more Badger hockey fun. However, that hope was cut short, and it won't be until October before it comes back, and longer than that before they become even a little prominent in the eyes of local casual fans.

As for basketball, it was more about the histories of the two programs, and what was expected at the beginning of the year. Looking back, I'm surprised, that's all. I'm a basketball season ticket holder, and when tonight's game rolls around, I'll be cheering on Frank the Tank and his assistants.

That bitter part of me? It's the same part of me that LOVES the attention and support football and basketball get! It also loves that we have and support many successful teams, and wishes more people would appreciate them. Besides the obvious reasons as a fan, one thing I loved about volleyball's run to the national championship was the buzz they created. Hopefully more people come out to the Field House next year. (A few of the most raucous atmospheres I've been a part of were volleyball matches, yet so many people have no clue about it.) It doesn't have to take away from football, but it can add to the fact that we support several sports well.
        Last edited by WiscDC; 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          Freshmen class (Rockwood, Ustaski, Ford's, Wagner, Dougherty, Linhart, Hughes) is solid, I hope you guys realize this. Minnesota wasn't suppose to be this good with this plethora of freshmen this season. I look for Besse and LaBate to have big years, Soleway will be a beast next year, Ustaski will be scary for all opponents, my gut says Rockwood is the next Zengerle, Hughes is a 15-20 goal scorer, and the defense will be stacked with Schulze, Wittchow, Drake, Davison, Linhart, Dougherty, and Ford.

I assume Eaves and Shuchuk will be out recruiting in the next week to fill the remaining spots. That being said, I am thinking a transfer is not unlikely.

wow, now that is how you do unwavering optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post

Joel Rumpel

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              Joel Rumpel
              And him.
              WISCONSIN BADGERS
              NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
              WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
              WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
              B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
              Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                That bitter part of me? It's the same part of me that LOVES the attention and support football and basketball get! It also loves that we have and support many successful teams, and wishes more people would appreciate them. Besides the obvious reasons as a fan, one thing I loved about volleyball's run to the national championship was the buzz they created. Hopefully more people come out to the Field House next year. (A few of the most raucous atmospheres I've been a part of were volleyball matches, yet so many people have no clue about it.) It doesn't have to take away from football, but it can add to the fact that we support several sports well.

Something that really bothered me last night: The Sett HAD A FREAKING WANNABE RAPPER CONCERT GOING ON LAST NIGHT and had the game off on some corner.... At least it was that way when I left to watch it somewhere else. But just the night before they had TVs set up out in the open area by the welcome desk even for the shooty hoops game.... It bugs me the lack of care that this school has sometimes...

Also continuing my controversial opinion time.... I think McCabe has to be one of the worst players to have the puck in his own third in all of hockey. I have never seen someone so skilled at finding a way to lose possesion there. It's like he's playing a game of bingo with the squares being different ways to lose the puck...

Others are talking about next year, and I would like to add Cavillini's (sp) name to the list of people to watch. I like what he brought in his tiny stint this year. Also, I think Grant will be a real star in the future here.
                Last edited by The-C2; 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The-C2 View Post

Also continuing my controversial opinion time.... I think McCabe has to be one of the worst players to have the puck in his own third in all of hockey. I have never seen someone so skilled at finding a way to lose possesion there. It's like he's playing a game of bingo with the squares being different ways to lose the puck...

Others are talking about next year, and I would like to add Cavillini's (sp) name to the list of people to watch. I like what he brought in his tiny stint this year. Also, I think Grant will be a real star in the future here.
                  I mentioned at the end of last year McCabe reminded me of Brendan Smith part 2. Great talent, but like Smith, he makes quite a bit of head scratching turnovers in his own zone that make you go ***?. The difference between his and Smith's turnovers is that teams rarely scored off of McCabe's mistakes so they didn't look as glaring. Until last night of course. I've actually wondered if he's playing too tired at times. I believe he was logging around 30 minutes a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    (WISCDC - this isn't direct solely or even mainly at you)

I never feel that way. They're completely separate and if hoops wins today they will have earned all of the attention that they receive. Bigger stage = lights shining brighter.

Hockey fans need to get past this inter-UW inferiority complex due to attention levels. Imagine being a UW Cross Country fan or Softball fan. To be honest, it's kinda Jan-like. Think about it.

If the hockey team wants more attention, they'll need to do something worthy of attention and do it consistently for several years at a time.

Either way though, the football first, basketball second and hockey after that ranking will never change. Not at UW and not nationwide.

I for one am very happy to follow a college that has multiple programs that are successful. Sure, I wish football and hoops could get over the hump and at least contend for a title, but even the status-quo is pretty good in comparison to other places.

And I wouldn't trade the multi-sport success to go back to the "Glory Years" where UW hockey was the only thing in town worth following. To be honest, those "Glory Years" are starting to be an awfully long time ago. 2 titles now in the last 30 years.

The eighties and nineties weren't as great as some seem to remember. Better than now? Sure. Still thought of as one of the premier hockey programs? Yep. But 4 of our titles were won by 1983.

Again, if hockey (fan) wants to be respected and get attention, then hockey team needs to (re) earn it -once again, the glory years are a LONG time ago - and stand alongside, never again in front of football and basketball.

Go Badger ballers!

I think we have a decent shot at Arizona. It's been 14 years now since the last FF. Sure would be fun to have that happen again and especially with this team as they are far better than the 2000 team.
                    Agree completely. Last Saturday I had the UW-Oregon on one tv, and the UW-OSU on another. I was going absolutely nuts that night when basketball won a nailbiter then hockey wins in ot 45 minutes later. I was still a student the last time UW made the Final Four and I'm still kicking myself for not embracing that moment. Bo Ryan is my favorite UW coach all-time and made me become a big fan of UW hoops. I love the guy's principles and personality.

Comment

The returning points aren't huge, but the nucleus is there. A couple guys who I like are Cavallini, who showed a lot of hockey IQ in the O zone in the limited time he played and Soleway is going to be the next Mersch, except with a harder edge. I think people will be surprised.

54 54 Let's go RED!
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                        Agree completely. Last Saturday I had the UW-Oregon on one tv, and the UW-OSU on another. I was going absolutely nuts that night when basketball won a nailbiter then hockey wins in ot 45 minutes later. I was still a student the last time UW made the Final Four and I'm still kicking myself for not embracing that moment. Bo Ryan is my favorite UW coach all-time and made me become a big fan of UW hoops. I love the guy's principles and personality.

He does it the right way and was rewarded tonight.

Very sweet to get there again after so long and this Badger hoops has a decent shot at the whole thing.

I believe the 2000 team could have if we had played anyone but MSU. They were our Kryptonite that year.

Comment

...tough loss Friday night. Not surprising given the inconsistencies (and I think the talk of leadership is spot on: 06 Burish, 90 Rohlik et al, this team didn't have on-ice leader like that) but still disappointing given the expectations not only coming into this season but the prior year as well. It's a tough pill to swallow to bow out in the 1st round in consecutive appearances after having a spotty track record in the prior 5 years or so...That has to grate on the coaches (which I'm sure they'd never admit publicly)...

With tOSU and Penn State looking very strong at the end of the season (and returning very good players next season) I think a top 3 for Wisconsin next year is questionable. They'll have to have massive contributions from the freshman to do it. I hope they can have that sort of impact, and if they make the tournament despite the youth, that could portend a lot (I suppose that goes w/out saying).

Re: Jason Zent...I guess I've used that 92 NCAA runner-up team (yeah, we know they should have won) and the players on it quite a bit over the years as a barometer for talent (esp. offensive talent). Chuck probably didn't see them play but if he did I think he'd have an appreciative pov on the talent-level displayed...It's unfortunate what happened to them in 92. Mike Kemp went on record as saying that game affected the psyche of those players for the rest of their time in Madison...Possibly a stronger on-ice leader would have helped em through it or???anyway this is all apropos of nothing at this point.

the only thing we can do is hope for a great frozen four and that UW will somehow find a way to be a strong team next season.
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            That has to grate on the coaches (which I'm sure they'd never admit publicly)...
                            I've been trying to think of a way to sum up this season and this team, but I really can't put my finger on it completely. I was thinking post game about the coaching staff, I wonder what they were really thinking about? I guess they are all experienced enough at winning and losing that they can put some perspective to it, but if it were me, I still wouldn't be able to sleep. The pieces were there for a top four team and we swept one of the other three a month ago... yet for some reason this team had these games like this one where they just weren't the same guys... Obviously the staff has been aware of it all season and have been trying various remedies, but still haven't, and now never will, solve the riddle of what it is that makes this group go. The fact that it remains a mystery has to still be driving the staff crazy wondering what they could have done differently, what approach might have been the key...

Usually I'd have an opinion as to what might have been done, but I don't think I do in this case. The best I can come up with is saying that a casual observer might have said that we were lackadaisical at times. But I almost think it was a result of being too tight, and then overcompensating for it by trying not to hurry up too much, trying to be overly calm in the storm. But time and space go away quickly on small ice and in do or die games, and it just doesn't work that way. The interview before the third with Zengerle... he seemed to be so unconcerned... I don't buy it that a player in that situation is unconcerned deep down inside. Confident, ok... but unconcerned? No way. McCabe's play seemed the same way... slow down, get under control, think about what you're doing... well by then it's too late to make a play. It's all rather inexplicable to me. These guys are elite players...

Like I said, if I were on the staff I'd still be losing sleep trying to figure it out.

On the other hand, this group accomplished a lot this season. They were really fun to watch when they were clicking. Exciting plays, highlight reel goals, Big wins, a B1G trophy, and they gave the hometown fans a show almost every time out in the Kohl Center. Hopefully those folks will be back for more next year. No better venue in College hockey then being in a sold out KC.

Congrats to the Seniors on all they accomplished in their time here. These guys were tough down the stretch the last two years and that is a big part of what it takes. Unfortunately the final steps up the mountain will have to be taken by another team. Looking forward to it.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

The time between the end of the season and the early departures is agonizing and feels like forever.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                I've been trying to think of a way to sum up this season and this team, but I really can't put my finger on it completely. I was thinking post game about the coaching staff, I wonder what they were really thinking about? I guess they are all experienced enough at winning and losing that they can put some perspective to it, but if it were me, I still wouldn't be able to sleep. The pieces were there for a top four team and we swept one of the other three a month ago... yet for some reason this team had these games like this one where they just weren't the same guys... Obviously the staff has been aware of it all season and have been trying various remedies, but still haven't, and now never will, solve the riddle of what it is that makes this group go. The fact that it remains a mystery has to still be driving the staff crazy wondering what they could have done differently, what approach might have been the key...

Usually I'd have an opinion as to what might have been done, but I don't think I do in this case. The best I can come up with is saying that a casual observer might have said that we were lackadaisical at times. But I almost think it was a result of being too tight, and then overcompensating for it by trying not to hurry up too much, trying to be overly calm in the storm. But time and space go away quickly on small ice and in do or die games, and it just doesn't work that way. The interview before the third with Zengerle... he seemed to be so unconcerned... I don't buy it that a player in that situation is unconcerned deep down inside. Confident, ok... but unconcerned? No way. McCabe's play seemed the same way... slow down, get under control, think about what you're doing... well by then it's too late to make a play. It's all rather inexplicable to me. These guys are elite players...

Like I said, if I were on the staff I'd still be losing sleep trying to figure it out.

On the other hand, this group accomplished a lot this season. They were really fun to watch when they were clicking. Exciting plays, highlight reel goals, Big wins, a B1G trophy, and they gave the hometown fans a show almost every time out in the Kohl Center. Hopefully those folks will be back for more next year. No better venue in College hockey then being in a sold out KC.

Congrats to the Seniors on all they accomplished in their time here. These guys were tough down the stretch the last two years and that is a big part of what it takes. Unfortunately the final steps up the mountain will have to be taken by another team. Looking forward to it.
                                I concur. This was an enigmatic group.

It's got to be tough for the coaches at this point to really analyze what could have been/what went wrong. What was the button to press? Maybe it just wasn't there? It might be best for them not to analyze it too much and just begin preparing for what's sure to be a tough season in 14-15. ...I don't know about the other schools but what I've seen from UW since 84 tells me the intangibles that eventually lead to a team winning an NCAA Title are evident very early. The 1990 class (Rohlik, Byce, Tancill et al) and 2006 graduating class (Burish, Mac, Gilbert et al) all displayed flashes of leadership and composure as well as showing their evident skill virtually right off the bat. There was a general feeling with both groups that something special was going to happen with them.

Maybe the kids will surprise next year (meaning the frosh). Maybe LaBate and Kerdiles will stay, who knows? It's a (too) long off-season which sucks, but it's good to think the younger guys like Soleway and Besse have picked up some valuable lessons. Perhaps they'll be the ones who lead the charge to #7 sometime down the line.
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X