Holy Cross 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cross 13-14

Winning record...Yea. Coach who has lost his team...boo. And really doesnt care...boo hoo.
    Down 3:1 vs St A's with 1 min to go and puck in the offensive end...EVERY coach pulls the goalie. Ooops must have forgot or has just given up on this team.
    Best player leaves team in despair due to coach disregard and transfers. Senior quits team 1/2 way through season. Freshman 1st liner quits with 2 wknds left in season.
    Good luck today girls. Gonna have to do it inspite of coach.

Originally posted by FM9391 View Post
    Winning record...Yea. Coach who has lost his team...boo. And really doesnt care...boo hoo.
    Down 3:1 vs St A's with 1 min to go and puck in the offensive end...EVERY coach pulls the goalie. Ooops must have forgot or has just given up on this team.
    Best player leaves team in despair due to coach disregard and transfers. Senior quits team 1/2 way through season. Freshman 1st liner quits with 2 wknds left in season.
    Good luck today girls. Gonna have to do it inspite of coach.
    Anonymous defamation is so empowering isnt it?

Comment

Re: Holy Cross 13-14

Well they lost today and the coach didn't play a single shift.

Comment

I can't automatically toss FM9391's opinion to the curb because I don't know of the personal experiences behind it, but as a parent who's kid was recruited by Coach Van Buskirk, but chose to go somewhere else, I was tremendously impressed by his honesty and caring throughout the entire process. After committing elsewhere, we thought enough of him to eschew a phone call or email and travelled to HC personally to tell him. The first words out of his mouth were congratulations on choosing such a great school. I still cheer for HC, and not only for the players but especially for the head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by WHockey View Post
          I can't automatically toss FM9391's opinion to the curb because I don't know of the personal experiences behind it, but as a parent who's kid was recruited by Coach Van Buskirk, but chose to go somewhere else, I was tremendously impressed by his honesty and caring throughout the entire process. After committing elsewhere, we thought enough of him to eschew a phone call or email and travelled to HC personally to tell him. The first words out of his mouth were congratulations on choosing such a great school. I still cheer for HC, and not only for the players but especially for the head coach.
          I have a similar opinion of and respect for Coach Van Buskirk. He suffers under a difficult situation where he runs a D3 program at a D1 school and communicates openly and honestly about what the program is and its future - meaning that it will be unlikely to move to D1 status anytime soon. In many cases, players and parents with aspirations to play D1 hockey but few or no opportunities to do so convince themselves that Holy Cross is D1 hockey, but they do so despite what they are told not because of it - they have delusions of grandeur. As a result, every year there are disgruntled players at Holy Corss because they thought they signed on for D1 despite all evidence and vebage to the contrary.

If the "best player transferring" you refer to was Rebecca Fleming it is my understanding that she desired to play true D1 hockey and that UConn provided that opportunity for her. More power to her. The other cases you write about I have not heard about.
          Last edited by HockeyEast33; 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
            I have a similar opinion of and respect for Coach Van Buskirk. He suffers under a difficult situation where he runs a D3 program at a D1 school and communicates openly and honestly about what the program is and its future - meaning that it will be unlikely to move to D1 status anytime soon. In many cases, players and parents with aspirations to play D1 hockey but few or no opportunities to do so convince themselves that Holy Cross is D1 hockey, but they do so despite what they are told not because of it - they have delusions of grandeur. As a result, every year there are disgruntled players at Holy Corss because they thought they signed on for D1 despite all evidence and vebage to the contrary.

If the "best player transferring" you refer to was Rebecca Fleming it is my understanding that she desired to play true D1 hockey and that UConn provided that opportunity for her. More power to her. The other cases you write about I have not heard about.

Odd situation with D3/D1 deal. Coach seemed like a good guy during recruiting season..honest, good communicator, etc.; and the program has some talent...not sure why the record is what it is...I'd have thought they'd be better.

Not sure the D3 is a workable long-term solution. Seems to me they should either commit to go D-1 like the rest of the school, or pull the plug.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
              Odd situation with D3/D1 deal. Coach seemed like a good guy during recruiting season..honest, good communicator, etc.; and the program has some talent...not sure why the record is what it is...I'd have thought they'd be better.

Not sure the D3 is a workable long-term solution. Seems to me they should either commit to go D-1 like the rest of the school, or pull the plug.
              I don't understand how Holy Cross gets away with having a "Division 1" hockey program playing in a D-III league when the rest of its sports are full-fledge Division I.

How is this possible? Does anyone else know of any other school where this type of situation exists where all its programs are Division I except for one?

I know the Division III in most sports and Division I play-ups in a few exists, but not the reverse except for Holy Cross that I know of.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                I don't understand how Holy Cross gets away with having a "Division 1" hockey program playing in a D-III league when the rest of its sports are full-fledge Division I.

How is this possible? Does anyone else know of any other school where this type of situation exists where all its programs are Division I except for one?

I know the Division III in most sports and Division I play-ups in a few exists, but not the reverse except for Holy Cross that I know of.
                Yeah, Sacred Heart.

Comment

Yeah, Sacred Heart.

Comment

My understanding is that it is not a DIII program. It's a DI program that plays a schedule of DIII teams. The distinction is that they are not eligible for any of the playoffs, either league or NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                      My understanding is that it is not a DIII program. It's a DI program that plays a schedule of DIII teams. The distinction is that they are not eligible for any of the playoffs, either league or NCAA.
                      Trust us, both Holy Cross and Sacred Heart, in terms of resources, run DIII programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Trust us, both Holy Cross and Sacred Heart, in terms of resources, run DIII programs.
                        Yeah. I was referring only to their technical status.

Comment

Yeah. I was referring only to their technical status.
                          So, forgive the newbie question, but what does it actually mean for them to be DI programs? What's the difference between a DI team that plays only DIII and a DIII team, and why would you choose to be one?

Comment

Originally posted by wwhyte View Post
                            So, forgive the newbie question, but what does it actually mean for them to be DI programs? What's the difference between a DI team that plays only DIII and a DIII team, and why would you choose to be one?
                            They are still bound by DI rules plus whatever the league imposes. The reason they choose this route is that they don't want to put in the resources necessary to compete against DI competition. They don't offer scholarships and their facilities are not up to DI standards. But they are too large a university to actually play as a DIII program, so this is pretty much the only route they have.

Comment

They are still bound by DI rules plus whatever the league imposes. The reason they choose this route is that they don't want to put in the resources necessary to compete against DI competition. They don't offer scholarships and their facilities are not up to DI standards. But they are too large a university to actually play as a DIII program, so this is pretty much the only route they have.
                              Why does the size matter? Does DIII have specific size limits or is it just a convention?

Comment

Working...
                              X