Minnesota @ Wisconsin: 2/6 & 2/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota @ Wisconsin: 2/6 & 2/7

I thought Clymer was okay. My issue with him wasn't bias (I thought Kelly was worse in that respect and sometimes seemed to be goading Clymer to be more biased), but rather with his penchant for long-winded, slow-moving stories that bled over the action (insert joke about Badger offense here).
    Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
    Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
    sigpic
    Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
    1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      1. At least you're getting TV coverage (your program isn't exactly blessed here)

2. I live in Milwaukee and get to see the absolutely atrocious coverage you do get, and if that's your Gold standard for quality than that's comical.

3. Tell the BTN your gripes. Let's see who they listen to more.
      You gotta remember, Andringa has been doing this longer than Clymer has. I think Ben has done a good job and is getting better.

Like Wes said, BTN's coverage isn't perfect, but they are improving. And it's hard to complain too much when they are putting so much effort into the coverage and have been seeking feedback. It will continue to get better I think.
      Good point about Clymer - I actually like his Gopher coverage better and agree he is getting better, as is BTN in general. As someone noted earlier, the women's field hockey announcer ESPNU used earlier this season set the bar very low :-)
      Go Badgers!

Comment

• Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
        Good point about Clymer - I actually like his Gopher coverage better and agree he is getting better, as is BTN in general. As someone noted earlier, the women's field hockey announcer ESPNU used earlier this season set the bar very low :-)
        Yeah, that ESPN play-by-play guy was brutal.
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
          Here, I can help you with that..."none". As it turned out it DID matter, as a few keys for the Gophers that I mentioned in the Gopher/Badger preview post had a direct bearing on the outcome of the game.

I mentioned the PP would play a key role and it did for both teams. Wisconsin was 1/10 in their 4 previous games (10% is pathetic), but buried the lone PPG which trickled through Wilcox's pads to give them the lead. The Gophers had scored 7 PPGs in the last 5 games and went 0/4 last night. That played a HUGE role in the Gopher's overall failure to bury their best chances throughout the game.

I also mentioned that the Gophers would need to plant big bodies, like Fasching and Ambroz, in front of Rumpel for cleanup. In recent games the Gophers have been repeatedly successful near the crease and unfortunately it never happened last night. Arguably that was partially due to the Badger D doing a fairly good job last night of plugging up lanes in front of Rumpel. But I did not see enough sustained effort around the paint from the Gophers. IIRC Kloos led all shooters with 5 SOG and Rau was a close second, and both were in Rumpel's face "at times". But overall the Gophers had a lot of Grade A shots but didn't produce rebounds which typically happen with screens in front like the Gophers have often done this season, and its paid big dividends thus far. Most of Ambroz's 11 team leading goals and many of Fasching's recent tallies have been launched from the edge of the paint.

I mentioned the need to match the Badgers physicality and the Gophers did, but with one costly exception that left McCabe moving freely in space and untouched to position himself for the GWG. If you look at the replay, Travis Boyd was 5 feet away and could have/should have poke checked the puck off McCabe's stick. Maybe Boyd was out of gas at that point...it happens, but he made a very lame attempt to block it.
          So let's see...Good PP/PK play, plant bodies in front of the net to screen and play rebounds, play physically...that sounds like a good formula for [insert Team A] to play against [insert Team B].

Way to go out on a limb with your preview. Careful that you don't strain something patting yourself on the back.

Comment

As far as the BTN color guys go, I would like more strategy info as far as the point/counterpoint to breakouts. On a somewhat related comment, we sat behind the Duluth bench a few weeks ago on at women's game in Madison and it was really cool to see the F bombing UMD coach draw up a new breakout on the grease board, then watch the dawgette players execute it. Then I noticed UW counterpointed it after a period of time.

The play by play guy did end up being too pro rodent by the end of the game.

I think the rodents simply didn't finish/have a little puck luck on some open nets that was the difference in the game. But after losing a game like that to OSU a few weeks ago where UW just didn't connect, it was good to steal one.

If Eaves breaks up Zengerlee/Kerdiles after Barnes get back he should be fired. There's no way any sane person could break that combo up. They, along with Barnes last year carried UW to the ncaas; them, Mr. Rumpel and the D scoring like they are now.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              The play by play guy did end up being too pro rodent by the end of the game.
              I didn't notice that. It might have seemed that way because was seriously tilted for the better part of the 3rd period...?
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Any critique of BTN coverage needs to take into account that it's still a wide reaching coverage, which is always good.

Any defense of the BTN coverage should take Ito account that they can- and should- strive to be MUCH better than they are.

Very excited for the conclusion tonight. I expect another good game, and a fired up crowd.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                  Careful that you don't strain something patting yourself on the back.
                  Don't worry, he has lots of experience with that exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Any critique of BTN coverage needs to take into account that it's still a wide reaching coverage, which is always good.

Any defense of the BTN coverage should take Ito account that they can- and should- strive to be MUCH better than they are.

Very excited for the conclusion tonight. I expect another good game, and a fired up crowd.
                    Agreed. It hasn't been perfect, but at least they are putting in the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      I didn't notice that. It might have seemed that way because was seriously tilted for the better part of the 3rd period...?
                      He kept talking them up and not just doing the play by play. I kinda miss Wooger doing the color.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Completely agree SOH and Wes. I have been more upset after some of ours wins this season. We've played a few we probably could have lost because of poor play, but managed to win. I have no problems with the way the Gophers played last night. Hope to see more tonight.
                        This x 2. That was a fun game to watch.
                        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                          So let's see...Good PP/PK play, plant bodies in front of the net to screen and play rebounds, play physically...that sounds like a good formula for [insert Team A] to play against [insert Team B].

Way to go out on a limb with your preview. Careful that you don't strain something patting yourself on the back.
                          Well, where's your preview, so we can grade it. I supose it was something like "trap, trap, trap some more, get lucky, then trap."
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            Well, where's your preview, so we can grade it. I supose it was something like "trap, trap, trap some more, get lucky, then trap."

"Whine about style of play, whine, whine some more, lose a game coz your team can't impose their style successfully enough, then whine some more about style of play."
                            Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              "Whine, whine, whine some more, lose a game coz your team can't impose their style successfully enough, then whine some more."
                              Check the title of that game plan. I think that was filed under "Every Game Mike Eaves Has Ever Coached".

Comment

Check the title of that game plan. I think that was filed under "Every Game Mike Eaves Has Ever Coached".
                                Ba-dum-dum.
                                You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Working...
                                X